Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You implied it ...

they just wait for a few foreigners to show up and then go to their accommodation to intimidate then instead.

Sounds like your saying they are racist because they are only intimidating foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,752 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

A lot of people were laughing at the Brits a few years ago when they were upset about immigration.

Bit more nuanced than that to be fair - people were laughing at the eejits voting for Brexit in the hope they’d be able to drive all the immigrants out of Great Britain. That’s going about as well as was expected:

LONDON — It’s official: net migration to the U.K. is at an all-time high.

New figures published Thursday show migration added 606,000 people to the U.K.’s population in 2022 — the highest number on record.

The data from the Office for National Statistics is likely to prompt fresh criticism of the governing Conservatives, who promised in their 2019 election manifesto to ensure “overall numbers come down” at a time when net migration stood at 226,000.

The rise also comes three years after Britain left the EU touting more control over arrivals through a “points-based” system in place of the bloc’s free movement of people.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak told ITV Thursday: “Numbers are too high, it’s as simple as that and I want to bring them down.” Labour accused him of having “no grip on immigration.”

https://www.politico.eu/article/three-years-after-britain-left-eu-net-migration-never-been-higher-brexit/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Anybody surprised our deal leader's don't represent the majority?

Helen McEntee second in her constituency to SF candidate who's not in government.

Michael Martin our dear Taoiseach second in his constituency to a man not in government.

Leo our other dear Taoiseach second to a man also not in government.

Roderick 4th and barely got elected.

This is the gang who's leading us into oblivion. I feel like the next election won't be so kind. Rise of the right, independents and SF. All SF have to do is form an alliance with the right and follow Denmark's example on immigration. Will they have the sense? I doubt it but you never know.

If they prove themselves to FFG 2.0 the right will continue to rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Let's be clear, a town an hour and half from Dublin and less than an hour from Limerick with high speed broadband to the world is not "rural" Ireland.

The farmers in Tipperary don't really care about Roscrea or any of the towns. That's why they will continue to vote FG.

Likewise people in McMansions don't care about towns. They have got out of dodge. And have gone up the property ladder and have left even their kids behind.

We don't do urban living in Ireland.

If we did we might actually have decent places to house people.

And we'd have none of this "rural" hotel shite.

• Advertisement

We Can't build high,we can't build hospitals ,prisons,Garda stations schools there's clearly not enough housing for our own population but yet they keep them coming Ireland is open to all in multiple languages,but where are we putting these 15,000 asylum seekers+ per year o Gorman is telling us about ,

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

They got elected. It doesnt matter in what order. They got elected. Thats how our democracy works.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yes but it just shows you who's leading us are not even the most popular in their own area.

Sadly democracy doesn't involve referendums for issue's like immigration. We don't get to decide who comes in, how many and why people would be allowed in. And all during a massive housing crisis. Democracy showing major flaws recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

As someone else mentioned Roscrea is a town with a number of problems already. Unfortunately there’s no planning at all, refugees will be put anywhere there is a building. Which is not a long term recipe for success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

They were elected for the good of the people and the country.

Turns out they don't care about the people and are only intent on destroying the country.

Using women and children as they did today shows just what they are.

Disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Order does matter. For 100 years they got elected and one of them (FF or FG) took power. Now because they can't bring in running mates they're stuck dependent on each other for power. . . . and that will only last for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

That's how our democracy works alright.

You forgot the part where they all try to skedaddle the hell out of here over to some bureaucratic foreign based job in the EU or the UN the minute they get bored of wrecking the place here.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

20+ years the county and city council, national roads authority and dept of transport have been trying to build a bypass of Galway city, millions spent on planning, consultants, legal fees, etc and still nothing built. An Taisce and do-gooder lefty politicians and greens stopping it everytime there is any small progress. Meanwhile the city grows every years, more young people and immigrants coming to work and study and traffic getting unbearable.

Hospital waiting lists growing, A&E dept is getting worse and people are dying while waiting to be treated, working people with serious illnesses waiting years for an entitled medical card (after applying 4 times!). The newst hospital being built is costing a fortune compared with european hospitals, and many argue the fancy circular design makes structure material over twice the cost eg. Steel, windows, concrete slabs.

No housing stock to move housing needs people out of private rentals (tax payers money down the drain while private landlords benefit).

I have very little faith in the current and future government. I dont see any party who can change current public and civil servent systems, update planning regulations, upgrade the public healthcare system, upgrade transport and roads, etc.

Public services are going to be squeezed harder in the coming years with the unplanned population growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bennjaminben

Massive influx of migrants over short time period

Massive decrease in infrastructural availability

Massive profit involved for those connected

Massive resentment and anger across nation

"Insert foregone conclusion"

Hilariously predictable. Only those with personal investment could advocate for such a stupendously stupid antagonisation of an entire country. Nobody is going to remember who said what, when or why. The above bullet points are the shorthand notes secondary school children will be taking for history exams in the future. It's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Farmers in Tipperary are giving out about robberies on their lands so they should care about garda stations been closed down by Fine Gael . North Tipperary like many other places has only token garda presence, music to the ears of burglars etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

In a sensible country as soon as Paschal Donoghue's name was mentioned in connection with a job with the IMF he should have been immediately removed from office or the whip removed from him.How can we be sure he's serving this country when clearly he's eyeing up a job with an international agency which does not have Ireland best interests at heart.That sort of behaviour is borderline treasonous.

It's crazy that we already have many case studies to analyse in Norwegian countries. They done a much better job with their refugees then we did and it still turn out a disaster. Why must we repeat the same mistakes if not worse before the penny drops.

Government members responsible for this in future. We're not Sweden or Denmark who were the first to try this experiment and didn't know the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The heads on some of these scruff balls protesting. Have they no proper jobs?

Anyway - the Govt have not and are not bothered providing clear integration plans. The policy of trying to lump asylum seekers into country towns and villages with little consultation with the local community is beyond stupid and an awful look.

At this stage it just stinks of them unable to cope and trying to hide a major problem. It's going to get worse for them.

Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bennjaminben

They knew exactly the outcome they wanted: crazy profits for a few based on people pressure and asset inflation, cheap/slave labour and the cultural division allowing for even bolder profit taking.

They may have considered the other outcomes too, but only for a micro second: mass unrest, growing anger and resentment, increasing violence, political abandonment, ballooning inequality, ever reducing social opportunity, demographic destruction via infeasible family formation and so forth.

Money. Money for their little in-group, at the expense of literally everything, is why they embarked on the stupidest and most dedtructive "policy" in the entire history of the Republic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

I find it frightening at the moment that there’s absolutely no alternative really to vote for, there all cut from the same cloth.

And based on public opinion most feel the same way. A referendum on all immigration policy’s need to be put to the people to solve this problem is the only way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Noel coonan is from my area and how he ever got elected is beyond me.he’s hated and ran the local fg area into the ground. He has decided to retire now as local councillor manly because in templemore there was a plan to put in single story housing for retired people of the area.then about a yr ago the plans changed and suddenly it was for 3 story development.you can draw your own conclusions as the above mentioned councillor didn’t appear at the meetings about the changes to the plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

Its all culminating into something the regime will not be able to handle. The regime have spent years mollycoddling a certain indigenous sub-section of our island into just handing them anything and everything they ever wanted. Social welfare, social housing, fee legal aid etc...etc... This same sub-section of our society is now going to be vying for the same benefits the huge influx of migrants will now want. Its going to reach a level of resentment and hostility the establishment is not prepared for, because for the last 30 years, any criticism towards our indigenous welfare dependent, Scammer sub-section of this society, that criticism was also met with cries of "racism" "fah riot" from the PR departments of the government, RTE and the Irish Times. Totally infallible.

Wait till these two infallible protected minority groups go toe to toe for the dwindling services that are already not there, like housing. Wait till it happens to social welfare. People here clutching their pearls about the rise of the "fah riot" lol. Wait till you see the rise of the suddenly ignored mollycoddled cultureclass your left wing politics has drip-fed the last 40 years. Its going to make your imaginary "fah riot" look like a birthday present.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Carlito Brigantes Tale

The national party is a start. Ive made a couple of donations towards them over the last few months as I'm genuinely worried for my kids future unless something drastic happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

When will they be replaced by 160 single men? Shortly thereafter I'd say. Nicely orchestrated by government 👏

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Talks of one of these hubs going very close to a college near me - 160 beds in a town where student rent is at best 500 quid a month for a room, usually between that and 1000. Amazing the accommodation is suddenly being fast tracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭thomas 123

considering your opinion I’d think you’d be thankful of the scruff balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

What the government have done today is setting an absolutely shocking precedence. Disregarding communities, their democratic right to protest and using state policing against citizens.

They're obviously not educated on irish history, this will not end well and its a disgrace that this is where we have ended up.

It's no longer general elections anymore, the gloves are off, those w*****s in government are accountable for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Literally the only people criticising Gardai for today's action are far right / racist accounts on social media.

I'm seeing a huge amount of criticism of the Roscrea protesters from elsewhere and a belief they went way too far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I certainly haven't seen this extent of protest about services?

We've been very poor as a nation to put up with how bad health and housing are.

Protesting like this when asylum seekers show up does make you look racist, and weakens any legitimate concerns about housing, rural policing, health etc.

The only outcome I see from this is after the next election we'll have FFG but with some independent right wing grouping in place of the greens.

And they'll be destroyed as the minority party, just like the greens and labour have been.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement