Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But for now there is nothing stopping them...... No .....

Anything else is waffle

Why not.....

Other than the government do the basics for illegal immigrants and bogus asylum seekers,

Remember when you were adamant back round checks and interpol was involved.....

Only for the government come along and rain on that parade

• Registered Users Posts: 32 KloppOn

The most interesting question is why Denmark and Sweden (in part) have become disillusioned with taking in as many refugees from Africa and the Middle East as previously. Their motivation for wanting to reduce the number of refugees is you would imagine based partly on certain difficulties with integrating previous cohorts of refugees. In Denmark at least there seems to be a reasonable level of political consensus on reducing numbers I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Ahwell

No, the House of Lords is currently stopping them…that’s not waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭suvigirl

So leave the EU and destroy the CTA?

Can't see too many people agreeing with you there.

No point bringing up posts from weeks ago, anyone can scroll back if they wish to see exactly what I posted about Interpol being involved in the capture of a wanted criminal here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Yeah you're right — that is absolutely the only plausible reason. I personally benefit a lot from it. My contract with George Soros has really good bonus terms tied to how many refugees get into Ireland. Every time a war starts I'm just like "f**k yeah, more refugees, love to see it". It's what I live for really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Cordell

That couldn't be acceptable then. If a defined period of time, think days rather then months, then yes it might be acceptable to the courts. But an indefinite amount of time wouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,596 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Political reasons are probably just as much a reason - both countries have right wing / far right parties with a strong presence in Parliament making a lot of noise about the immigration issue.

It will be interesting to see how we handle the inevitable "grooming gangs" when they appear. Definitely loads of use cases from the UK on what not to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Cordell

Courts should not be involved, they are not resident and not within the jurisdiction of Ireland. Their claim should be processed by immigration service, and it should not take more than hours, or maybe let's say couple of days. And again, they would not locked up, they will be free to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭abozzz

Human brains are great with recognition and deciphering patterns.

What is happening here, and elsewhere, is either a matter of multiple overlapping coincidences, or causation.

That there has been an unprecedented arrival of migrants into Ireland over such a short period is without question.

That there has, at the exact same time, been a measurable and readily observable decrease in social infrastructure such as healthcare provision, prison capacity, a deepening housing crisis, educational shortfalls, ever decreasing essential staffing and ever more inadequate transport is also without question, and more.

The only question, therefore, is whether these two facts are not linked and are entirely coincidental, or whether they are directly linked and there is causation.

Those who believe in such coincidences have a metric ton of explaining to do, of which I have heard nothing.

Those who see it as causative can readily join the dots together in logical and sensible manner.

Human beings have great recognition ability. If you took a person who lives entirely devoid of media and outside of influence, and were to ask them what they would imagine the problem at large to be in Ireland from their lived experience, there's only one answer you could reliably expect.

And that's reality.

But is it not perceived issues with immigration that allow far right parties get any support in the first place? The Swedish Democrats received less than one percent of the vote in the first four general elections that they contested but received twenty percent in the last election. Something happened to dramatically increase the willingness of Swedes to vote for such a party.

If course the courts would be involved. How are they not within the jurisdiction? Where will the centre be?

How do you think it could take days when it presently takes so much longer?

I agree, days would be the optimum, but it doesn't take days anywhere. All EU countries take months and sometimes years

You could nearly say we are 'over populated ' I suppose......

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭abozzz

Does your brain interpret it otherwise?

I'd be glad to know, seeing as I specifically mentioned that "there is a metric ton of explanation" going without answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I would support that though. I'd happily take in 200k refugees from Ukraine if it meant a zero refugee policy on everyone else going forward. I also don't agree with taking in Ukrainian men of fighting age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Denmark's left wing have taken an anti refugee stance and the 'far right' government in Sweden is literally there because the previous liberal idiots tried to lie and cover up the facts surrounding the issues with refugees for years so people got desperate and voted against them. But again, as per usual, facts are an inconvenient truth to the cheerleaders.

I'm sure you can all see this, but yet oddly pretend you don't. Why they sudden shift? Was it just that they were all Nazis in Sweden and Denmark all along and they pretended to be liberal paradises?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Exactly you want people in prison like conditions which isn't acceptable. They are not in prison.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

The only difference between us and the Swedes, Germans, Dutch etc is we are 20-30 years behind. As with most things. We are at the naive phase they had in the 90's and early 2000's before the real trouble with gangs and organized / semi-organized criminality really took hold. Not to mention the terrorism of the last 15 years.

There's very likely a small minuscule party formed or forming in Ireland with less than 1% of the vote now, but will have about 20% of the vote in 15-20 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

But destroying your documents in flight make you more of a risk.

Here in a nutshell.

I want anyone found presenting without documentation and probably a good possibility it was destroyed in transit, treated as a threat until found otherwise and detained in proper facilities until granted entry into the country.

You Don't have a problem with people presenting with no documentation and probably destroyed in transit, being let loose in communities all over the country. If while waiting clearance they commit a crime it's collateral damage. Oops sorry nothing we can do.

Totally Dangerous and clueless thinking, but one that's inclined with this Totally out of touch government.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,596 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

In Finland, the far right Finns Party received 20% of the vote in 2023 - despite the fact that 91.5% of the population were born in Finland and 91% of people speak either Finnish or Swedish as their first language. Perhaps these parties are just very good at convincing the public there is some perceived outside threat?

You Don't have a problem with people presenting with no documentation and probably destroyed in transit, being let loose in communities all over the country. 

I have never said anything like that.

I have much stronger views then most on here, as I don't believe there should be anyone in this country that we do not know is here.

And why would destroying documents make you more of a risk then a tourist, or UK citizen?

Is there any point even trying to give a sensible answer.

Anybody, tourists, whoever from anywhere doesn't have to provide information or documentation as it doesn't matter because we don't know who Anybody is in the country.

Mind-boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The very fact we're 20 years or so behind the rest would give us the opportunity to look and learn from those who have been here before and to form our immigration /refugee policy to reflect that, but that doesn't seem to be the way we do it here, we're not nearly a serious country imv

Perhaps you should have a long think about your last couple of lines

Unless you Don't really understand why you should have a think. Seriously.

What's mind boggling is the fact that people can't seem to grasp the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of people in this country, living, working, holidaying, that we know nothing about.

I'm not sure why you think presenting a passport at the airport does anything about that.

• Advertisement

They just want it everyway as long the they keep on coming in there tens of thousands , asking for proper checks they claim we want all of the borders closed and nobody is ever allowed in or out, no tourism or people coming in specifically for work,

Literally day after day of making up claims or stories as to why we can't,it's not illegal to enter Ireland without a passport,oh yes it is, today they are speaking on behalf of the European court's,

it's excuses after excuses

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement