Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,162 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So proponents of open ended immigration have no solutions or plans. Grand - just admit it.

Meanwhile another horror case involving one of our Guests of the Nation - https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2024/0122/1428003-kamal-kumar-nepali/

Kamal Kumar arrived here aged 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I made my position clear on numerous occasions on this thread…. Now you implied something about me on the thread. If you got something to say, say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Yes the two facts are 'linked' but it's quite a stretch to say immigration has caused the problems you mention.

The biggest problem with your argument that I see, is that immigration has been pretty steady over the past decade.

In that time, and despite the economic gains from this immigration, we have failed to increase our capacity around housing, healthcare, education etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭abozzz

You're saying what I just said, but providing no causative reason.

Yes, migration has steadily increased, yes capacity issues have grown alongside....and? The link between the two is "quite a stretch" to you?

Come on.

Separate question. You say "despite the economic gains", well, would you care to point out the fruits of those economic gains, considering that the purpose of an economy is to essentially improve societal infrastructure?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The idea that people have about billions spent on NGOs is complete drivel. The vast majority of the figures oft quoted relate to essential public services in health, education, sport, disability etc.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'm not defending the government on this by any means. Their response has been atrocious. Despite having the money to increase capacities, and the need to do so being clear and obvious, they failed to intervene.

I don't think the past decade's immigration has brought benefit to the 'person on the street', arguably I'd say many are worse off.

Why I wouldn't say causative is because it belies the fact that action could have been taken all along.

If I had a leak in my roof growing bigger for a decade, and every year a builder told me to get it fixed, but instead I squandered the money... what's the causative factor there in my roof failing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Please educate yourself on the definitions of Caucasian.

Are you trying to be smart or do you seriously think Caucasian means being black.

It's more like the builder poking holes in your roof to begin with, telling you they'll be around to fix it then never showing up.

Except when they pop around to poke more holes in the roof.

The point being that the same people who invited mass migration are the same people who didn't prepare the country (or ask) for that artificial population increase.

Considering the fact that there are daily transactions in the 10s of millions that are investing in this crisis, it doesn't take too long to draw inference, does it?

The likes of these vulture funds are investing in crisis for Ireland.

There is money being made, at infrastructural level, off the crises that irish people are enduring. And they certainly are not short term investments.

Mass migration is the fuel with which growing inequality, multiple crises and multi million euro deals thrives upon.

Or its all a big mistake! Just one big whopper of a mistake, year after year after year.

It's of vital importance that we challenge and overturn those who are monetarily vested in the continued crisis of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 11,162 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'm not implying anything about you. All I've requested is your solutions to the challenges arising as per the thread title. Others have offered proposals, I've thrown up some ideas.

You'll have to excuse me if I've missed your proposals, but if you would be so kind to elucidate them again, it would be of interest to this poster and others.

This is just absolute and utter nonsense. It's impossible to tell someone's nationality just by looking at them.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

What are your trying to say here at all at all.

"Tell by someone's Caucasian."

What in the name of the WEF does that mean?

An end to refugee arrivals. Pay the fines to the EU. Or don't.

Rapid, thorough processing of current refugee applications on site of arrival. Striving for same day turnaround.

Passport missing on stepping off plane? Straight back on return flight to origin. No ifs or buts. Dedicated planes, fines on plane companies, just make it happen.

A complete revocation of work visas tied to foreign students.

A microscope put on certain companies renowned for dodgy labour such as those delivery companies. Revenue investigations escalated.

A complete redefinition of what constitutes "skill shortage" and an overall decimation of numbers. Yes to more doctors, no to more keyboard tappers.

Any existing visas to be re examined as to actual skill shortage, allow them to expire or continue depending.

An even stricter regime to be applied to family reunification visas.

Social welfare should be treated on a two tier system, an allowance of X time for workers from abroad, nothing for non workers from abroad, no social housing for non-irish and so forth to extinguish the magnet effect it has on the world.

Universities need better funding to wean them off international fees.

An entire reevaluation of the university system to produce irish needed skills at double to catch up.

A complete overhaul of the system that allows housing to be bought at scale by foreign investment, and to lesser extent irish investment. Buy backs or fook offs to those holding vast swathes of housing.

And lots more besides.

The resulting population decrease over a reasonable time frame of say 5 years would have the desirable knock on effect of attracting back emigrants who left to escape the multiple crises which would by then begin to mitigate.

A plan. A better plan tapped out on a message forum than anything the government has even attempted to attempt to attempt.

The only thing in the way of such practical and fruitful ideas are the multiple interests invested in the continued crises of Ireland. But they too can take a running jump in short order.

There. That's the wholehearted gist of how you turn this country around. Don't cry about a temporary dent in an economy that's utterly useless as it is.

Stop covering up your uneducated post.please show me a post where I stated I could tell someone's nationality. Perhaps you should read a post and let it sink in before replying. I await your retraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,596 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Sorry to be blunt, but this is a crank manifesto. You're proposing that the government should deliberately try and depopulate the country (this despite the fact that that on past evidence those most likely to leave for good would be the youngest, fittest, brightest and most hard working).

Better if you read the whole post instead of listening to someone who makes things up in their head.

The government did.

They allowed it, romanced it, wined and dined it, facilitated it, ignored it ergo encouraged it. Pick your semantic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Yes, and a very sensible idea. Airlines could and should be doing a lot more.

I don't know the exact issues, but I do know that airlines do not give out those details too easily. For AGS to even get a flight manifesto is a big deal, lots of red tape, not quick, like everything🙄. But that's not too bad if it's one manifesto that they require. I'm sure there's gdpr etc rubbish as well.

So, it would require immigration officials actually detaining someone and trying to ascertain exactly what flight they were on, definitely doable, depending on immigration officials.

The schengen information system flags persons with warnings or warrants automatically. Pretty sure it's not legal to share other information, such as passport details of people with other countries. ( unless it's state security purposes, which doesn't include immigration, think terrorism etc)

It is an example where the EU working together in regards to asylum seekers would be the best solution. If the EU could somehow make it legal to pass personal information, passports etc in a joined effort to tackle the issue, it would go a long way to sorting out, non documented persons for sure.

"The point being that the same people who invited mass migration are the same people who didn't prepare the country (or ask) for that artificial population increase."

So Roderick o gorman invited mass immigration and Rodrigo o gorman didn't prepare the country.....

No that can't be what that poster meant because that's just pure gibberish.

It isn't a manifesto, it's a quick stream of entirely logical solutions that would obviously be fine tuned and tweaked into actual policy.

That you think it's "crank" is not so much a measure of it's sense, but more a shock at the idea that there ever could be an idea at all.

I'm all interested to hear your summation of the governments plans in rebuttal. I doubt those people can spell "next year" much rather than plan for it.

I quoted your post and directly quoted your posted words

🤣🤣🤣

Doesn't everyone make things up in their head? Isn't that where humans create their thoughts?

You ok?

Here you go @malinheader

You were asked if you can tell someone's nationality from a photo, you stated you can.

It was the gubermint.

Although we all know they are controlled by Charles Schwab though eh.

No you don't understand to racists Germans can only be white.

• Advertisement

Thanks suvi. So you couldn't tell the difference maybe from someone from Germany and maybe Nigeria maybe Pakistan etc etc.

Did you see the rapist in Cork kamul something or other, well I can tell by his Caucasian he's definitely probably not from Cork.

But you would probably claim him as one of our own.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement