Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭suvigirl

The state meddle in private ownership when they are fit to.

Property tax , Vacant property tax , Compulsory purchase orders. State meddling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

So your answer is just 'moar tax'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The ideology on the left in Ireland is now so strong that it would tax people extra for owning buildings not used in the way they want rather than limit the numbers coming into Ireland. It's batsh!t. It's only a couple of years since the left wanted to limit landlords ability to charge people to rent their properties. That failed in practice, but it didn't dent the confidence of those who demanded it or those who implemented it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Its 1 proposal for part of a solution. And it's not a bad one as it is designed to free up more housing for all

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Fingal council in their 2022 to 2026 action plan talk about bringing 70 vacant properties back to the market since 2019.

Since 2019, the Council’s pursuance of vacancy has seen 70 privately owned vacant units brought back into occupation to meet the housing need of persons in the county. This was through Compulsory Purchase Order, schemes such as Buy and Renew, Repair and Lease and engagement with property owners.

Any evidence to support your unsupported claim they investigated 70 and found them all occupied?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Isn't that the answer usually in this country just lash on more tax. Whether it solves the problem or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

yeah us poor landlords.

My rented properties are now worth more than I paid (double in one case) and I earn multiples in rent of the mortgage fees.

Woo is me

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

I understand the desire to put properties back into use, and Co cos are doing that today with derelict site notices. People could be taxed and eventually nudged to unload those properties. But not where ownership cannot be established, or contacted. I mean sure, Revenue can add up a derelict site tax on an owner, but what if that owner died back in 1991? There are going to be all manner of complexities and problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

This is what I find so surprising about people who claim to be left wing. Just some of the things I've seen in general and in this thread:

More tax

Always listen to the establishment and never question them, they're never lying and if you say they are you're a far right conspiracy theorist

Ignore working class communities and their concerns and stand with the government instead

Imply that Irish people shouldn't be doing retail or hospitality jobs and that we should be getting immigrants to do those jobs instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

What levels of tax are you proposing?

How many nights a year would it need to be occupied to avoid your new taxes?

Are you taxing holiday homes?

Suppose I bought a house 30 years ago, I got burnt then with bad tenants so decided to let it sit there.

Why punish me for being burnt previously?

Your proposal is fundamentally flawed.

• Advertisement

They do. And always make a balls of it.

Your plan is more of the same.

And the result will be the same as well.

If no known beneficiaries can be found then they can cpo the land. These things happen all the time.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

If its sitting there doing nothing, no tenants, no usage as a holiday home then yeah it should be taxed.

Terry Pratchet

Sounds like a jobs spinning exercise by the Civil Service, more than an actual solution to a housing crisis.

Terry Pratchet

How do you Compulsory Purchase land when you don't know the owner?

Who would they be purchasing from?

You check the land registry to find out the owner. It is that simple!

Terry Pratchet

The vacant house tax we already have you mean?

If you increase that tax enough people will just do what is necessary to avoid that tax. If they need to stay in it a number of nights a year to pass a holiday home test then I'm sure they will manage that.

Which is why your proposal is flawed, as people keep pointing out.

Well that is just plain ignorant. There are properties that are unregistered with the Land Registry. But that doesn't mean there isn't someone that can claim ownership and have documentation to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,779 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Big sign nailed into the property and notices in local and national papers, if ownership is not determined in a year and a day, CPO. Money sits in escrow if anybody proves ownership.

• Advertisement

How many perfectly habitable houses do you think this will yield into the market each year?

County councils do this already, but in small numbers, and the properties are mostly derelict.

AFAIK the council then put them on the open market or use these for community projects etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭suvigirl

My 'plan ' is exactly what is already in existence, Vacant Property Tax.

nothing new

I would just make incentives for people to use their vacant buildings and if they do not they get taxed more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

There’s already a plan in place to use CPOs to purchase up to 2,500 vacant properties by 2026.

Sounds like a lot of keeping some pen-pushers within the Civil Service busy, to acquire a dilapidated house to just fire sale it on the market. Solution to the housing crisis? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I haven't heard much, and it's too early to analyse, but I wonder if the incentive to renting vacant properties under the Fair Deal has/will achieve much in relation to the housing issue? That was a no brainer anyway, but being a landlord is no walk in the park either these days.

From 1st Feb a Fair Deal recipient can keep 100% of the rental income (it doesn't form part of the financial assessment), it was formerly 60%. However, tax must be paid on the total rental income anyway.

Apparently around 2,000 vacant homes could be freed up for rental if the NH resident and/or the family could be bothered with the hassle of it all.

Yet we have people on here thinking they have stumbled on the magic bullet that solves it all.

No. Your plan is to tax them "at an extremely high level"

And you will be giving people incentives to use their vacant property a few nights a year as a holiday home.

Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

This massive boom in population seems to be going brilliantly and must of been well thought out.

I had to laugh today when in January after probably the wettest spell I can remember, iascaigh eireann are on RTE asking people in certain areas of the country to preserve water.

And yes population increase was mentioned, our services are totally inadequate for what is happening in this country at the moment. Going to be a bleak summer if we get that far for some.

Couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I don’t think anyone is saying that, the VHT has only brought in in the last budget. We’ll have to see how effective is at encouraging people to do something about vacant properties. The 2500 CPO’s is a separate matter.

• Advertisement

30 days usage is easily achieved I'd have thought.

I don't even know how they could enforce such a measure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement