Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Yes, in fact, open borders and no controls is actually a common libertarian policy. Libertarianism is usually considered a right-wing movement.

Many businesses also like fairly free immigration polices as it keeps wages down. Again the business community one would not consider left-wing.

Landlords also like free immigration as it keeps rents high. Again, not a group one would consider left-wing.

Traditionally, unions, another group many regard as left-wing, have spoken out against the exploitation that can occur during times of mass immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

You know what they remind me of ironically? Nuns from the old days. Getting on their moral high horse, brainwashed by an ideology (wokeness and DEI in this case) and always have an answer for any challenge to their authority and ideology. Logic will not penetrate that.

I can bet you the exact same people working in these NGOs would have joined the priesthood or the nuns back in a previous generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Pro refugee. You make it sound like it's a football team.

What exactly do you mean by a leftist?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

That switch kicked in as far back as the early 60s when the mass immigration mania began almost simultaneously right across north america and western europe. Leftist parties ditched their traditional voter base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 18 skarman11

As an immigrant myself from another EU country (Spain) I came to this country with a job within my armpit, so to speak.

I pay my taxes here, do a job that companies here are struggling to find people to, and try to live as any other Irish person does, in an honest way.

I can't be grateful enough to this country and how I've been treated in this gorgeous land called Ireland. My neighbours are a lovely married couple with a baby. They have helped me out whenever I needed to sort anything at home.

I have made a good group of Irish friends, they're my brothers and I love them so much. Everybody, from the waitress in a restaurant to the hairdresser at the barber, has been so nice to me that I'm reluctant to go back home. Not to mention, GUINNESS🤤.

However, I keep hearing that Irish people are racists, that Ireland is racist. And I hear that from people who has fled their country in which it was a matter of time for them to get k1ll3d because of their politics opinion or hunger. Just because they don't get all they want for free. That doesn't justify any crime by any means.

That's just unfair. Too unfair.

People need to know that the so-called rights are earned, not given away. And if you point out those facts you're a facist? What a joke. The so-callled Welfare states across Western world took GENERATIONS of really hard-working people to build it.

Again, thanks Ireland and its people for being who you are and the way you welcome everybody. You're so proud of your culture and history that you don't let anybody to tread on it. When one can be both welcoming and aware of what they culture is worth, that only means how proud you are of your own country and this should lead as an example for other countries.

PEACE.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

They just don’t get it.lettuce Ryan on tv3 still saying we must take in the world.it will take yrs he says to build these receptions centres but we must continue.he is dismissing the protests around the country

what is their obsession with destroying the culture of Ireland forever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

While on the face of it, it would look like they are just on the left. I have noticed however, various posters going under the guise of being a lib-lefty, but their real aim is to minimise the damage been done to the government - and also others doing untold damage to potential 'new' govt parties

All may not be as it seems - You'd need your wits about you around here :shifty eyes emoji:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

How are we going to fit 7 billion people? And do we do a lottery worldwide to decide who moves in first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I can see the number of accidental fires increasing,

Take the payout and no tax .

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

The problem with this is that it is a one off measure. Once the available properties are filled up, then the benefit stops. And housing has been stated as one of the reasons companies can't bring in more people, so increasing the available housing stimulate inward migration causing the available housing to fill up quicker.

This is also why building more also won't work without some tightening of immigration. Cheaper housing itself will simply stimulate more immigration negating the benefit to those currently in the country looking for accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

What or who are ya talking about there, General?!

I would think the opposite is true in many cases, except from some fairly prolific new registered posters who disappear after a few days and come back called another name but saying the same very particular stuff. No shifty eyes emoji, its all through this and other similar threads.

At least with many you are dissing there, you can look back at the posting history and see where we are coming from, so to speak .

So not everybody thinks the same or has the same opinions or politics... Isn't that a revelation! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

I assume when you use the term lunatics you are talking about INP and IFP. I don't consider IFP to be lunatics. I think Herman Kelly seems sensible enough. He's critiqued INP more than once for antisemitism etc.

We have to acknowledge that continuing down this road of mass immigration is causing massive and irreversible damage and that any other political option has to considered.

Exiting the European union is probably too hard a sell for IFP though.

Ultimately it's the European union that might end this absolute insanity. They are slowly trying to get a grip on illegal immigration. (Although of course they will be frustrated by parasitic lawyers every step of the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭US3

All asylum seekers receive a full medical cards upon registration in Ireland. This is fuuckng nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

The general accepted view is that pro immigration is left wing (the compassionate, kind view to have) and that anything opposite is right wing. And nowadays not just right wing, far right. A term that has lost all meaning thanks to over use because it's now directed at anyone who expresses concern. For example, a mother protesting at East Wall is labelled far right

The problem is that people conflate immigration with mass uncontrolled immigration. The majority of people support the former and many have rightful concerns about the latter. And the so called kind and compassionate people who think they're all progressive and virtuous ignore the working class communities protesting in East Wall, Roscrea, etc and smear them as racist bigots. All while patting themselves on the back from the comfort of their own home about how righteous they are unlike those far right bigoted grannies and mothers out protesting in the freezing cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DoyDK

This is deliberate misinformation, again, from you.

Plenty of brawls have been recorded outside (and inside) of these centres over the last few years. All easily available to view on Twitter (X) and other social media platforms.

I point you to another recent example from Wicklow Town, where a migrant from a local centre was recorded walking down the middle of the main street road, brandishing a knife and shouting random gibberish. Garda had to physically tackle and detain him. There's been multiple reports of that same migrant intimidating women around the town, and approaching in local supermarkets to inform them that he (to put it nicely), "needed sex".

A lot of the men coming in here do respect our laws and avoid trouble. I feel sorry for those dumped into rural areas and cramped living conditions; it's unfair and inhumane. However, for you to state "there have been no reports of any issues when these centres have opened" and "the locals have no issues with their new neighbours" is blatant lies and gaslighting.

I like reading all opinions on here, whether I agree with them or not. What I absolutely do not like are bad actors, and you are a bad actor, evidently. This has been noted by multiple posters now. Whatever the motivation or agenda, you're just embarrassing yourself at this point. Surely you can find a better use of your time elsewhere? It's very, very sad behaviour.

Can moderators of the forum please address this issue (@Beasty @Ten of Swords). Deliberate lies and gaslighting from disingenuous posters like this destroys the credibility and enjoyment of these discussions.

Darren

Post edited by DoyDK on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Not really seeing as our hospitals are not really running at full capacity, with plenty of room and more than enough staff. Also our medical services such as mental health are operating well and could handle alot more patients and also G.P services around the country are crying out for patients.

What could go wrong.

Generally accepted by who?

Conspiracy theorists, who got caught up in the water charges then COVID protests and are now anti immigrant all rolled into one?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,318 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Phew !!!!!!

That's a relief. Was worried there for a moment.

Now I feel better having to shell out every time I even walk by a doctors and happen to glance at one. The rewards of, fortunately, working all your adult life.

• Advertisement

It's getting boring now Robbie classing anyone who has concerns about immigration a conspiracy theorist.

Only one poster on here obsessed with blue tooth trackers and the WEF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭bloopy

The 'Left' has given up on the economic battles. Maybe it was too hard or something.

The current left is shallow corporate activism based on identity and placing people in handy boxes designed by marketing and pr companies who are wearing the Left moniker as a skinsuit.

Easier and more profitable to go around calling people racists and bigots than trying to explain or understand difficult economic theory.

The fact that it props up the worst type of exploitative capitalism is of course completely unrelated.

The refrain 'they're needed to do the jobs the Irish won't do' is the same one Neo-Conservative Republicans used 20 years ago when the Democrats in the U.S were bitching about uncontrolled immigration.

It us a right wing policy, dressed up as left wing compassion.

Yeah right.

Whenever I tackle any poster on this point not once has anyone refuted anything.

All the individuals I know in real life who are racist and anti immigrant have come via water protests and COVID protests.

They believe in Bluetooth trackers in vaccines, the believe in an nwo and replacement theory.

They cite Soros and schaub as they leaders

That is the path to the anti immigrant true believer in ireland as far as I can see.

All on Facebook and twitter on their mobile phones while worried they are being tracked by Bluetooth in a COVID vaccine.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

It would be hysterical if they weren't so dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Is this the same fella who wants to increase air travel costs for irish people, yet has no problem with incoming flights with half the world.

The same fella who wants to reduce cars off the road but wants to bring in everyone which will do the opposite.

The same fella who wants us to be world leaders in reducing carbon footprint, where the more people the higher it gets in ireland.

Does this fella have some sort of split personality, if he doesn't then he should be kicked out because he makes less sense than a child and he is paid to help run the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

This is a great coup by the government. If 35 elderly residents were here, they can get hundreds of asylum seekers in once they refurb the place.

Much better than leaving them.in isolated rural villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Cool conspiracy theory there

Water protestors = COVID protestors = immigration protestor.

Weird.

Jesus Robbie easy on man.

Are you sure you're not the one who has been affected by the covid debate.

Seriously the argument about covid, vaccinations and all that doesn't bother me one bit. What's happening in this country at the moment does.

If you can't have a discussion without trying to label people some sort of conspiracy nuts really tells alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Christ that's an off the chart rant right there. LOL.

So I haven't been labelled a lefty liberal Marxist etc etc?

🤣🤣🤣

When people are racist because they believe in an nwo and replacement theory at what point should reasonable discussion begin?

• Advertisement

Called an open border advocate.

Called a traitor to my people.

No evidence needed to support these claims.

Told my children are not Irish

Yeah it's me that's calling people names and abusing the poor innocent racists who hate People because of their religion or colour of their skin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement