Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Ah the old i-know-something-you-don't routine so common in far right circles. They seem to have some divine knowledge that normal people don't have, such is their terrific intellect. You wouldn't know that by looking at the weirdos that turn up for their protests though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DoyDK

Nobody here ever said all migrants were criminals. Just pointed out to you that they were over-represented in certain crimes across Europe. This is statistical fact.

Can you link us to something proving that "a lot of the asylum seekers have come here because they are lgbt"? I don't mean some NGO or government soundbite, but rather a video interview or similar with some of these groups of men who arrived here recently, stating it directly themselves. Otherwise there's no validity to your claims.

I'm not "weaponising LGBT people against Muslims". Respectfully, that would be like saying "weaponising David against Goliath" 😄 It would be an utterly pointless exercise, even if one wanted to engage in such division. I'm simply stating facts here according to belief systems. LGBT and Islam are not compatible, and to suggest otherwise is antagonistic and disrespectful to Muslims.

Again, the word of the Quran is final. LGBT+ is not permitted. End of. I leave you with two quotes from Shaykh Dr. UmarAl-Qadri, chairperson of the Irish Muslim Council:

"You cannot force me to believe that this lifestyle is right. In my view, according to Islam, this lifestyle, it contradicts the Koran. You like somebody from the same gender? Maybe that's natural, but Islam, it strictly forbids from engaging in physical sexual activity with the same gender. Simple as that."

"The Irish Muslim Council believes every child in primary school should be supported, respected and treated with consideration. We think it is unacceptable to teach children about gender identity under the pretext of teaching them about diversity".

• Advertisement

That's exactly what you are trying to do. Present faux concern for lgbt people in order to try and promote anti Islam feelings

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You have zero evidence then re: your claims that a lot of recent arrivals are LGBT? Until you provide same, please stop pushing misinformation.

I have zero ill will towards LGBT or Muslims. I merely acknowledge that the two are incompatible.

Learn about Islam, and then maybe you will stop disrespecting it by claiming they are compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,344 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Heather Humphries says social welfare for ALL Ukrainians living here may have to be reduced eventually. Quite the turnaround in this government.

Cuts to welfare, sleeping bags to male asylum seekers and telling Alegerians to stay away. Quite the change and not a word of criticism from anyone.

RTE news : Welfare for all Ukrainians already in Ireland may be cut

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2024/0131/1429768-ukraine-social-welfare/

🤣🤣🤣

Not falling for games from a "new" poster with an agenda.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The only possible explanation I can think of must be that the government have been infiltrated by far right blagaurds and ruffians spreading misinformation in their ranks causing this drift to the right in the recent pronouncements, talks of cutting dole and deportation flights, persuading those men and women of principle to cast aside all those fiercely defended international obligations so easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That actually makes sense and may have happened anyway, even without any kerfuffle in the media about payments. It's hard to imagine how Ukrainian people would be allowed remain on full social welfare payments for years without adjustments. The whole point about being a refugee is that it's meant to be a temporary status for the person, not something that goes on for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

From now on all government press statements will be spray painted on bedsheets and paraded around on the roads. I know a few people who could help.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I see Leo is reminding everyone about the it's the Law waffling about the TV licence

Do you have any thoughts about the number of work and education/deliveroo permits the government are issuing.

Would you welcome a discussion about whether the numbers should be restricted.

Would you concede a relationship between those numbers and the housing and health care crises.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

That is what I meant. The squeezed middle are CALLED Far Right, when in fact they are just concerned for their and their children's futures. However, by expressing that opinion in the context of IP/refugees they have been called FR by anyone who will listen. Very unfair in my opinion, it is gagging the very legitimate fears and opinions of the squeezed middle and others about the lack of planning, the amounts of money being spent, the effects on housing, and all the rest of it. They are not Far Right at all, but if they open their mouths to question anything they are vilified and labelled as such, unfairly in my view.

There is no "far-right" or "extreme element" in Ireland. Ironically, your fear and constant mentioning of this is only going to help manifest it. If you keep calling anyone that disagrees with certain liberal policies "extreme", then eventually certain elements will embody that term and begin to act it out. "Extreme" means people getting dragged out of houses and disappeared during the night. "Extreme" means militance and serious violence. Read a history book, and maybe then you'll stop throwing such terms around so recklessly.

So, today I've learned that there's an extreme right in Ireland, that there's been zero issues with any asylum seekers or mass immigration, and my favourite of all, that lots of Muslims coming here are LGBT 😄

This is either a troll farm, or certain people on the forum are disturbingly uneducated.

Goodnight all; be well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

A lot like your burning buildings statements, trying to promote anti Irish community feelings.

Any more developments on what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'm squeezed middle and concerned for my and my children's futures.

But I'm not blaming IP/refugees.

The country's been heading in this direction long before the current influx of IP.

I just can't understand this obsession with IP tbh.

People think those with your opinions are racist/far right because it's the most logical explanation for your beliefs. I can't explain it more clearly than that.

Yeah any time you see lads pulling out the "theres no far right in ireland, I swear on me mas life!", it's safe to assume they are doing what they have been told to do by the far right contingent which is play down the far right. It's all been exposed before what their M.O is. It's pretty comical that they think they are actually fooling people by saying there is no far right in Ireland :)

You said it. You don't understand it.

I'm concerned for my children's future in this country because of people like you not understanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Thousands of work visa and student visa applications are already turned down every year. The government are perfectly free to issue as many or as few as they like. Talk of "open borders" is a bit of a nonsense when discussing migration from outside the EU.

What an idiotic statement.

I understand it must be a frustrating way to live to know you're in the minority like this and can only really complain about it on a forum and elsewhere and have no real recourse because the country will never be the way you want it to be but to make the above statement like the poster is somehow causing your children harm is absolutely ridiculous. It's just a moronic statement really. You'd only ever see it on the far right telegrams and such. Oh and this forum as well.

Only idiotic to people who don't understand it and going by your posts your as clueless as some of the rest. Maybe your up past your bedtime to really be able to understand the post. Lmfao.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Understand what? That it's all the foreigners fault?

I can see that the increased population that's come since the war in Ukraine has put more pressure on services.

But the population's been growing long before that, while housing and services have been ignored.

It was inevitable housing and services were going to get this bad, it's just sped up.

Shouldn't this be a wake up call that health and housing need a new approach first and foremost, isn't that where the protests should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

"I had to laugh today when in January after probably the wettest spell I can remember, iascaigh eireann are on RTE asking people in certain areas of the country to preserve water."

And yes population increase was mentioned,...

I didn't hear the interview on RTE - I did pay attention to the radio advert for the first time today - It says the increased demand for water is because of - "economic growth"

So 'population increase' has become "economic growth"

Damn you economic growth!

They really do think we're thick (collectively) - 133 ltrs of water used per person per day

It's inevitable services were going to get this bad. It's just sped up.

Sweet Jesus, are you serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It may surprise people, but legal immigration is a way bigger issue than people seeking asylum.

It was a major factor in the latter stages of the Celtic Tiger housing boom. It has put huge pressure on struggling services, far more than IP applicants.

In a small country that has no option but to take all who want to come from far bigger but less wealthy countries, you are going to have serious issues around housing and services.

It is by far the biggest problem facing Ireland, but no one wants to tackle that hornets nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

You keep dragging Niall Boylan's name into this - What did Niall do to you, to have his name dragged through the mud all the time?

My ask to anyone considering voting for what they believe will be tightened immigration, is to question if it really will be less immigration, or if anything, just different immigration? And then to have a good think about what else comes with that right wing package around wages, work conditions, public healthcare, renters protections and so on.

Who should we vote for though?

You wouldn't believe how many people will be welcoming the so called economic growth when they can’t flush the toilet or even take a shower.

Maybe iascaigh eireann will get this sorted before the summer. Lol lol lol.

• Advertisement

I can see that the increased population that's come since the war in Ukraine has put more pressure on services.

So do you think that until (if ever) housing and health services catch up on demand for them the government should (at least temporarily) greatly restrict the number of education and work permits being handed out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement