Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I actually listen to Niall on the radio occasionally and don't mind the guy. But he has clearly been dabbling in 'far right' or hard right viewpoints in recent months around refugees and immigration, especially on his podcasts. He has also appeared on GB News a few times and admits he is a Trump supporter. He's harmless enough overall, but a bit crank like in his views.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Ah the usual "I'm special because I know more than the general public because I watched some grifters explaining conspiracies" routine. You knew that was coming.

Have you considered that maybe the general public just aren't as gullible as you? Or do you think that the general public also think their children are going to come to harm because people like me "don't understand" what you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭US3

Dabbling in far right view points jesus christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Some load of waffle there. Who mentioned special, and you should seriously wake up to what the majority in this country think. But I doubt you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

🤣🤣🤣

Absolute drivel that there's no far right or extremists in Ireland.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Just like theres no woke shitheads telling everyone what way we should think.😅😅😅

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Any developments this morning.

Your refusal to answer makes me think not.

Maybe do something constructive like sending that email suggestion to your TDs about HR in HSE. 👍

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Can someone define far right? For a term that gets bandied about a lot and applied to anyone from grannies to Niall Boylan to posters on boards I'd be interested to hear what people actually think it means. Was it Helen McEntee who said there was no definition and when pushed said it's anti government and anti woman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭gw80

Where? Where are they?

Have you got pictures? Inside information on secret meetings these far right groups are having?

Is there a secret handshake they do that you have copped on to,

A lot of people in ireland do not have the conception of left and right politics that you and some other fantasist on here are trying to shoe horn in to irish politics, they are just people with their own different opinions, and it is people like you who will ultimately establish a far right element in ireland, because if you keep telling people they are far right all the time some people will just go "well **** it, I may as well join up if I am being accused of it anyway",

And I suspect people like you would be secretly delighted to have an actual boogeyman to rile against.

Do your own research. I'm not gonna spend hours proving the truth when you'll just do more more and sealioning of denial, deflection and downplaying.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

If it comes with feasible and realistic plans to improve housing and healthcare then absolutely.

If it's carry on as normal but blame immigration then I'm honestly not sure. I haven't given much thought to that scenario because I can't see FFG ever cutting work permit or student immigration. They're economically right-wing so it's just not something I could ever see them doing.

Don't you see how it's frustrating how nothing has been done to alleviate the housing crisis but there is magically billions in the pot for immigrants?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I think the Irish government reported spending €3.5 billion in capital and current expenditure in 2022 on housing.

A few years ago Leo offered 3 'solutions' to young people who can't afford to buy

Get your parents to give you a deposit (come from a rich family)

Move at home to save (great if you live in Dublin or a town near where you work, otherwise not an option)

Move abroad to work and save for a deposit and then come home (**** off somewhere else cos we're admitting the cost of living is too high and we're doing nothing to help)

Basically all three solutions are: we're not going to give you a single bit of help with the problem we've created

Yet there are billions of funds available for immigration

Will do I'm glad you now agree there is an urgent issue here.

I take it there is no news on the 20 buildings you keep highlighting that you seem to think would solve the accommodation problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I heard each refugee gets a free buggy every time they take a bus as they abandon them because they get them free.

🤔

Anyway here is the citizens information page on home purchase help schemes.

Robbietherobber: I want a reasonable discussion on immigration

Also Robbietherobber: makes snide comments about the reasonable points I've made

Robbie it's no secret that billions have been spent on immigration over the years. It was recently reported that 750 million was spent on welfare alone for Ukrainian refugees. That's just welfare and not anything else

You might have your own home and might be happy to pull the ladder up behind you but the prospect of owning is out of bounds for a lot of young people and all the citizens information links in the world won't change that. And Varadkars solutions are to ask parents for money, move home or leave the country? Even the most pro mass immigration person in the world should be able to see how frustrating it is that there is seemingly endless funds for immigration but not as much to help other crises

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

It's absolutely galling.

But I don't think a penny of that would otherwise have been spent on alleviating the housing crisis.

As Robbie already pointed out, they spend money on housing. The problem is they spend money driving up prices for everyone else and not on increasing the actual number of houses that could be built.

The figure I've see here of 75/per night to keep IP in hotels is terribly wasteful. But it's just another example of this government throwing money at the private sector.

Look at the children's hospital, housing, the small fortune spent on rural hubs for executives, IT consultants in the HSE. SEAI grants.

It's what this government does. They've acknowledged they're against affordable housing for fear it leave some of their voters in negative equity.

Yet they'll likely end up with another term in government, and on the back of SF losing votes for being 'soft' on immigration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

The Accommodation Recognition Payment (ARP) which is currently paid to those hosting Ukrainian refugees should be expanded to encourage hosts to take in asylum seekers, a group representing hosts has said.

€800 tax free money should be expanded for housing everyone,Irish included.

Er yes? How many Irish people have appeared on GB News recently (a channel full of right wing cranks and conspiracy theorists)?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I see a Kerry secondary school was in the news for all of the wrong reasons very recently,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Interesting discussion on the census returns for areas of north inner city Dublin this morning on RTE - apparently recent census returned a figure of just 36% identifying as 'white Irish'.

That's 64% non nationals in these areas. Is this our future ??? This is our future...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DoyDK

Ok, so Nazis, I'd agree to be a "far right" or extremist group. We know what the Nazis did.

Now, for example, we have many people in Ireland labelling those concerned about accelerated mass immigration as... "far right".

Do you see the problem here?

As stated before, I personally couldn't care less about labels and "left v right" WWE style party politics theatre. I'm just making a point as to how easily some folk in this country are manipulated and divided.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The far right the right you could make a song out of it at this stage.....

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Thats a frightening video. For the bleeding heart lefties crying out to open the borders - The people in this video really are 'FAR RIGHT' . Finally some actual far right action in this thread!

The 'far right' are a very real phenomenon in continental Europe (not to be confused with the 'extreme right' i.e. neo-Nazi skinhead types into violence, swastikas, giving the Hitler salute etc.) Far right parties would be mainstream and part of the regular parliamentary process - conservative, nationalist, anti-immigration and so on.

A big problem for them in Ireland though is that we have absolutely no tradition of far right politics. Countries like France, Netherland, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Sweden etc have had far right parties and politicians for many decades. It is simply not part of the political DNA here - we have been a very stable democracy for the last 100 years and have never lurched out to the extremes, not even in the 1930s, apart from a tiny flirtation with the Blueshirts which lasted about 12 months.

All of this is very bad news for the actual Irish far right. The people they keep trying to claim as their own - those expressing concerns about immigration in opinion polls - are probably very moderate and centrist in their outlook, definitely not right wing or conservative or nationalist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement