Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

The very fact that the political class and media keep harping on about it, means they are worried about it. This is why they keep kite-flying new anti-immigration / anti refugee steps to try and take some of the heat off the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DoyDK

That majority of that post reads like a copy and paste, I'm sorry 😄

The content is correct, though 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I already did. See above. Not playing further games with you.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Are you the poster that said it might be treasonous to say someone is legally Irish? If so you really have a bee in your bonnet over that and I don't know why. No one was arguing that someone who is legally Irish isn't a citizen. That hardly seems like extremist crossing a line rhetoric and if that's your best example I'm afraid it's not very convincing

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Where was the personal attack? I haven't had a chance to read your link but I will later

For the thousandth time, legally Irish literally is a citizen. No one said that did not mean a citizen

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And it doesn't involve treason,or anything like it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

How do my adopted cousins fit into your 'real' Irish and 'new' Irish system?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

That's a reasonable response. It may be that it takes an economic downturn to reduce the numbers of education and work permits being handed out. As long as coffee shop owners and the like are complaining about the difficulty of hiring staff any government is going to be reluctant to reduce numbers.

The farce here being that work permits are supposed to be for jobs above a certain salary threshold and educational permits are supposed to be for... education.

Are you dealing with the fact that the housing situation would improve measurably if these permit holders weren't here. Getting rid of a lot of them is one "feasible and realistic plan to improve housing"

Most of the main people who you would identify as far right actors are people I would know to talk to.

After them having convinced the majority that the government are failing on immigration I'm wondering what it is you fear them moving the country on to next.

If it's just conservatism and nationalism it's hardly true to say we don't have a tradition of that. If it's something more extreme it doesnt sound like any of the people I know. Justin would be considerd a bit out there by anyone who goes on the marches.

• Advertisement

The language in that post is a bit extreme but the point is something that could be discussed by reasonable people.

If you have views no more extreme than good old fashioned Irish nationalism you would see our passport as being something that should be difficult to come by. That was a useful way of defining Irishness.

Then in recent times it became very easy to get one and that has raised perfectly reasonable questions about what it means to be Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Make your own mind up. I have laid my cards out.

Worked in alot of other countries and never felt the urge to become a citizen. Always proud to be a Irish citizen where ever I was. Paddy, mick whatever I was called I felt a sense of pride and would never dream of wanting to be a citizen of somewhere else..

So figure it out yourself, perhaps your adopted cousins don't want to become citizens of another country, it may be your liking.

Why don't you explain about your feelings of our new Irish Rapist friend, who took six prison officers to drag him to court half naked.

Do you welcome him with open arms.

No you know them no problem.

There the ones crying about how bad the country is treating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I think I'd accept a certain amount of these work permits not being renewed with fair warning.

I think we will continue to need certain skills from overseas to meet needs for health and housing. We haven't produced enough doctors and construction workers for a start to met the requirements we have, and will continue to have in the country for the foreseeable future.

After that I think a certain amount of migration is healthy and normal. I just don't think the race to bottom as to who can provide labor for international businesses at the lowest rate really benefits anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

The term far right has been used so much and in so many cases where it didn't apply that its been diluted to mean nothing to most now.

Far right here is people complaining about immigration numbers. Far right for some of these countries we are accepting migrants from is throwing gay men from the top of a building in a town square.

Half of UK Muslims, probably the most integrated and moderate Muslims in the world, think homosexuality should be illegal. A quarter would like sharia law to replace British common law. A third believe wives should always obey their husbands.

Integrating British Muslims into society is “probably the hardest task we’ve ever faced,” - former equalities chief, Trevor Phillips.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/poll-finds-more-than-half-of-britsih-muslims-believe-homosexuality-should-be-illegal-a6978091.html

Again, these are British Muslims. They have Netflix. They turn on the BBC and watch the same news as the rest of the UK. They have sunday dinner.

Can you imagine what the numbers are from countries that are a lot less tolerant on these issues than the UK?

Well, you don't have to imagine, just look up polling on what the views of homosexuality, women's rights and sharia law is in some of these places. It will shock you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

It's common to see these kinds of things posted on here. That poster was claiming his children were going to come to harm because other posters "didn't understand" whatever far right conspiracy hes on about. Par for the course on here really. Yes it's disgusting racist far right bile but you have to get used to that if you are frequenting this forum.

Or you could just have "Irish citizen" where that designation was as hard to come by as it has been for most of our history versus "Irish resident".

Straight out of 1980s Ireland in other words.

What total tripe.

Where did I say second class citizens..

If you think being told as a country that we have to keep a scumbag rapist because he's now magically one of ours is really acceptable then it's you should be reconsidering what you're defending.

He's not even worthy of classing as new Irish. Lucky_Khambule is the new Irish. New face of rte lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

I don't like the idea. That wasn't my original point. I'm saying the word has been diluted so much not that right wing and far right wing opinions don't exist.

20 years ago if you told me someone was racist I'd take it at at face value and would have done my best to avoid that person. Now I will explicitly ask what the person said or did to be called that.

The same has happened with far right. 20 years ago you tell me someone is far right, I have a pretty good idea what that person is. Today it could be someone who calls for the extermination of a certain people or someone that wants illegal migrants deported.

It's boy who cried far right.

• Advertisement

After that I think a certain amount of migration is healthy and normal. I just don't think the race to bottom as to who can provide labor for international businesses at the lowest rate really benefits anyone.

100%. Fascinating how much we're agreed on here.

We mightn't need as many builders or health workers if demand was reduced. But of course we will need some.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭US3

Does the political spectrum in Ireland just go from left to far right? Anyone shows a slight bit of conservative or centrist views in labeled far right.

It's not like the US where there is only a red team and a blue team

• Registered Users Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Anyone 'conservative' in Ireland is harking back to a repressive and inward looking society dominated by the Catholic church. As recently as the late 1970s, this was still the case. We never had a golden era when everything was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Communication has been broadcast from the party....

McEntee jumps in head first and purposely conflates legal migration with illegal migration and the asylum process. I don't know anyone who has a problem with legal economic immigration, those with legitimate work permits who renew their permits when they're due to run out, etc but there has been an ever-recurring theme and lately, it's being ramped up. Simon Harris for example. He was unvetted when he moved into his home? Is he saying he bought the house in cash because getting a mortgage and buying a house requires a lot of personal information to be provided including your confirmation of Identity and proof of income etc but Harris did think there was 18 previous Covids....

How can we have a functioning immigration system if those elected do not understand migration statuses? It will never work.

McEntee jumps in head first and purposely conflates legal migration with illegal migration and the asylum process.

Most important thing about her video is that four out of the five points are about immigrants in general. Not just IPAS or Ukrainians, they're moving the discussion on to all immigrants.

You might be uncharitable and think that's happening because they know they've made such a balls of the asylum seekers and they want to focus on the immigrants they think they've handled better.

Seems really foolish though. As for myself and my friends we're happy to take the discussion there. So all immigration is on the table? Thanks, Helen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement