Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

The most out of depth minister ever to hold a seat. But we know it wasn't for her experience or expertise. As incompetent as o Gorman and Ryan. Used as collateral for when the serious question are asked about the totally shambolic immigration policies that have destroyed the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

I'll start.

Here's a chart of home buyers broken down by nationality for one Dublin southside estate agent - Owen Reilly.

H1 2023 (Bubbles H2 2022)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Watched the the video. Oh god it is seriously off the mark.

"There is alot of misinformation around migration. "

°Migrants contribute nothing (no sensible person believes this)

° we don't need migrants (again no reasonable person believes this)

°They take our jobs(again nonsense, anyone who works gets my and the majority of peoples respect)

° Come to Ireland and it's a free for all, she talks about fingerprinting etc. Now we have sex offenders who are migrants who are in this country,who got in and have voluntary deportation orders. We have sex offenders who have got status and are allowed stay. So this is not true from what I've seen.

° Ireland is full which according to Helen is nonsense. But in fact when as a tax payer you see Limerick hospital was at 300% capacity last week. Or when you can't get enough carers hours you begin to think well maybe we are a bit full and people who are taking us for a ride should be booted out. Kadima Mbuye.

Own goal video in my opinion. PR nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

The often trotted out notion that nobody has a problem with “legal” immigration is a fallacy. Plenty of those who have posted on this thread do. In today’s posts alone you have one poster calling kicking out all work and student permits holders a “feasible and realistic plan”. Then someone else was traumatised by a part of Dublin becoming predominately populated by migrants. The vast majority of whom would be there as a result of “legal” immigration.

I believe I actually said kicking out some work and student permits holders was a “feasible and realistic plan” for reducing the pressure on housing.

Tomayto, tomato.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

That's why there's a definition of being Irish national and being an Irish passport holders, even used in government circles actually seen in Gaza and the last hotspot in Africa

Well, you said “a lot”, which is not “some”…but it’s also not “all” admittedly. I mistakenly read it as kick “the lot” out.

We'll have to put our heads together and decide how many.

It’s your idea, I don’t see it as feasible or realistic.

Some people are being less than honest with a hefty dose of faux outrage, everyone knows you can get Irish citizenship after only working and living here a few years others don't even ever have to work,but that doesn't change they are from another country, citizens of another country, you don't stop being British, American , French, Spanish, Brazilian because they now have an Irish passport,

Some people will throw tantrums over the littlest things for some attention

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭enricoh

Sinn Fein breaking ranks n fairly changing their tune. Government will have no choice now but to cut rates down to what's given to asylum seekers.

Exactly, a passport should reflect the country you are from, not the country you want to be from.

To little to late for this crowd.

No on should vote for a party that runs with the hare and the hounds.

It's like when you hear people coming from anywhere else and Saying in media interviews that they wanted to come here because they fell Irish and want to live her and get an Irish passport,

But what is feeling Irish when your born and raised halfway across the world and have never been here and have no connections or family in Ireland so what makes one feel Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauries wigs

Go and ask a load of new citizens what they are. The answer won’t be Irish I guarantee you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Ah I see you want me to engage fairly and reasonably with your post containing falsehoods.

I did

Don't forget this forum is spun out of after hours/imho.

So I proved your false narrative wrong while engaging in some whimsical posting using the classic boards meme of refugees abandoning buggies at bus stops.

I was more fair and reasonable than your post which was wrong.

Varadker is a populist Muppet anyone actually believing anything he says at any given time at this stage is a clown.

The gay politician who wasn't sure if he would vote for gay marriage until he knew which way the populist winds blew.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Post edited by RobbieTheRobber on

Give over. Do you ever stop conflating everything. Ireland has been overall a great place to live until 18 months ago.

Not really decided yet but really like the Farmers Alliance proposed policies..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

What aspects of the former Ireland would self described Irish 'conservatives' like to see return?

• Advertisement

One that wasn’t flooded with illegal immigrants

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭maisie45

I would rather be dominated by the catholic church than a Muslim Mosque.

As for saying Irish people are ambivalent about immigration compared to other European countries, that's only because we had so few economic migrants arriving.

Irish people are certainly no different when it comes to guarding their space, Ireland is absolutely tiny so the numbers arriving are causing huge issues snd when you see decent law abiding people being pushed round by a Garda force you know the game is up.

It puts thoughts of Marie Antoinette in mind, people will revert to their most base instincts when those in power wont listen.

Weasel words wont do now, there has to be a concerted effort across all European countries to deport failed asylum seekers, the bigger countries will need to acknowledge how powerless we are due to our size so resources will need to be given to us to help us get plane loads of failed asylum seekers out.

No more putting people up for months in hotels, photos of the good life are being sent to Somalia etc encouraging more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

How the hell was this guy allowed into the UK in the first place?

Every country including our own has enough homegrown scumbags, we do not need to be importing them.

How the hell can their not be a simple process for every single person entering any country

-You must produce a valid passport

-It then gets run through a checks with your your home country and the country you arrived from

-Any serious crime on your record means you are rejected or you commit any serious crime whilst applying for asylum or citizenship in the country you are deported.

This is surely not that difficult for any country to arrange.

This is fair to everyone, fair to ordinary people who want to emigrate and want to do it legally, and fair to people living in a country already who don't need to scumbag moving to their country.Being allowed to emigrate to another country needs to be seen as a privilege not an inalienable right.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LongfordMB

Government ministers shamelessly conflating legal, illegal and the fraud that is asylum migration under the catch all "immigration" is a dangerous game to play. I would not be the least bit happy with this if I was a legal working migrant in ireland. By wrapping them all together they are just encouraging people to associate the criminality and fraud they are seeing with their own eyes on the streets of their towns and villsges with honest legal migrants. The only person today to tar everyone with the same brush is Helen McEntee!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

The regular immigrants who are from the EU or the non-EU must be seriously passed off with the govt for the new line of thinking, but then they are largely too busy working, paying taxes and minding themselves while not having govt funded NGOs agitating on ther behalf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Good post. It’s very disingenuous and dangerous.

The government know there are real problems and generous sounding but impractical weasel words have no place anymore.

If government dont acknowledge the issues and work to tighten the system then people really will look to the very far right for assistance.

They’re still trying to have it both ways. Accusing people who don’t agree with them of spreading misinformation, while happily minimising or denying genuine issues.

It is irresponsible. And it won’t end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I've read the link and it just proves far right gets bandied about too easily. Concerned parents and OAPs do not resemble what is described in the wiki page

I agree with you that extremism whether it's far left or right is dangerous. I don't however agree that discussing legal citizens is an example of extremism

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Only far right scumbags would assume all immigrants are criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭minimary

If I was a legal non-EU immigrant to Ireland who had jumped through all the hoops, had a critical skill, paid all the fees, paid my taxes etc. I would be so disillusioned and feel so taken advantage of by Irish politicans.

Last year they gave an amnesty to everyone who hadn't jumped through all the hoops, paid for visas, paid their taxes etc. and there was no acknowledgement of the fact that other people paid handsomely for all these things.

Now this year they're trying to pretend like the benefits that legal non-EU immigrants bring to us should be apportioned among illegal immigrants and asylum seekers.

• Advertisement

Again you don't seem to be able to read a post correctly and seem to interpret something totally different. And it also shows up how very little discussion skills you have or knowledge of immigration when you mention far right in nearly every reply.

But it’s great to see someone who proves what alot are saying about the people who are for this shambolic immigration process.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement