Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I don't 'want' you to do anything, I just found it amusing that you said earlier how it's hard to have a reasonable discussion on immigration but the vast majority of your posts are snide and childish. And yes I agree on Leo, but the point is that he and this government have done SFA to alleviate the housing crisis.

Adding you to ignore now Robbie. Am done with your childish strawman arguments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I proved your grandstanding statement wrong with a single citizens info link and I'm the one strawmanning.

🙉

🤣🤣🤣

Imagine your argument being so fake that it could be disproved by a single citizens info page and then getting offended when it's debunked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Looks like Ukrainians will have their dole cut as early as this summer according to reports this morning.

And they could lose their medical card.

Hardly any opposition to this. All the flag waving Ukrainian people are all gone quiet. The welcome is over.

I remember them wanting to rename Orwell Road.

How many businesses in Kerry and Clare will go out of business this summer due to a shortage of tourists?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Christianity was in Africa before Europe, the Ethiopian Church is the oldest church in the world after the Armenian Church. Its a lie to try and imply that it was imported to Africa from Europe and imposed on the populace against their will. The Crusades !? Thank God for the Crusades. Or is it bad to push back against decades of invasions and attacks against Christian countries because why exactly ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I thought your issue was with "illegal" immigration? Ukrainian people are here perfectly legally, everything done by the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauries wigs

How does that work. I have to emigrate because the gov and NGOs wrecked the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

The Irish government have become incredibly far right on the eve of the local and European elections.

If Darragh O'Brien no longer uses his stock phrase "our friends from Ukraine" in his next interview you know something drastic has changed up in Tory Towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Niall Boylan talks pure common sense on TV and is immediately labeled far-right - I don't care if it was GB News - Perhaps RTE didn't want him talking pure common sense on their stations

It seems that anyone that questions this madness or veers from the Govt line of 'all is good, nothing to see here' in your mind straz has become far-right

Pat Kenny (with Barry Whyte) did a report on passport trashers and you had him down as a righty too. People are sick of this labeling tbh, they've had it for 2 years and it hasn't worked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I don't know how many if any will close permanently, but definitely there is a huge effect on businesses in North Clare. That's just a fact, not a political statement and it's certainly not misinformation. I'm not in any way blaming refugees for the situation, no reasonable person could. It is entirely the Government's fault. Poor planning, more accurately no planning.

Then in Roscrea the Government rewards protestors, a community hotel is to be built. Now using Racket Hall was a bad idea, but what about all the accommodation that has been taken up in Lisdoonvarna?

In north Clare people would like to see some kind of long term plan, and it's the very least they deserve. The Ukrainian refugees deserve it too, families living in hotel rooms is not a long term solution. And they have been bombed out of their homes, there are children who are severely traumatised.

If Helen McEntee would make videos addressing issues like those, or Varadkar wrote to the Sunday Independent to set out a long term plan for moving from the crisis response in north Clare people might respect the Government. But they won't, they'll continue bleating about misinformation and pieties about Ireland not being full.

Two years on from the Russian invasion, people rightly expect better from their handsomely paid leaders.

• Advertisement

Yawn. Poor effort. We’ve gone down this avenue on many occasions. We didn’t all arrive illegally , then get put in hotels and demand benefits forever.

you’re also comparing legal immigrants invited here with the illegal chancers which is bigotted They’re not the same

That’s your solution to the illegal migration crises ? You’ll be in for a rude awakening.

What are you on about. They shouldn’t get an citizenship if they arrived illegally.

a tent and a ticket home is enough.

you’ve got Google.

one notable example is the Algerian who got declined asylum , longed it out , eventually got it. Became a citizen. Never worked when here.

went on stabbing rampage in a playground.

and there’s many many many more.

No one gets deported. And every other year there’s an amnesty. So go figure.

although it looks like a that’s changed as the gov realise how monumentally stupid they’ve been.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Only far right government enforcers would assume all immigrants come with no baggage.

How many have already gone following 2023 season and/or had their turnover badly hit and laid off seasonal staff?

It’s amazing how this vulture capitalism works. Insert crises - lobby government for contacts - get access to the public funds - provide ahit service and extract as much money as possible. Then rinse and repeat.

and no one can criticise you as it’s “for a good cause”.

Didn't say anything about legal or illegal refugees. Did you not read the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Getting naturalised citizenship has nothing to do with work or paying taxes. It is entirely based on residency.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I don't even mind Boylan and think he is a talented radio broadcaster. But if you listen carefully to what he says, he does stray rather close to far right talking points such as 'unvetted males', 'the country is full' etc, as well as expressing approval for the protests in Ballinrobe and Roscrea.

I'm all for diverse opinions in the broadcast media but he's arguably edging a bit close to what the Gript crowd and 'citizen journalists' have to say.

• Advertisement

What's an alternative way of saying 'men who arrive here with no passport and no prior checks'? Unvetted seems like an accurate description

What's an alternative way of saying 'Ireland is stretched to the limit with healthcare and housing'?

And I don't see how protesting is a far right trait. People have the right to demonstrate and protest

Granted, I wasn't there, but those protests did not look violent

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

I saw a screengrab there of an RTE report on how the Irish population of a part of NIC Dublin fell by 9000 in the last decade and is now firmly in minority status at 36%.

Out of interest I looked up to see how county wide this might reflect.

You could probably call 1996 the year Ireland began to change, as it was that year that asylum seekers started arriving in numbers.

That year there were just shy of 1.06m people in Co Dublin.

There is no ethnic data from that time, but I would imagine it's fair to say the ethnic Irish cohort in that would have been about 1.04m. I would say 20k of non native heritage would be a reasonable guess- Italian chipper owners, Chinese and Indian restaurateurs, a few African and Asian doctors, a handful of Pakistani market traders, and maybe 1000 or 2000 mixed race people, and a few thousand foreign spouses of Irish people. And a handful of program refugees who came down the years from the likes of Vietnam and Bosnia.

Fast forward to 2022, the county population had grown by 50% to circa 1.5m, but according to the CSO the ethnic Irish population was now 977k. All while nationally the ethnic Irish population in 1996 was circa 3.55m and had grown to 3.9m by 2022.

Dublin's total population has grown by 50%, but the population of ethnically Irish actually fell by around 60K. Yet natural population growth would have you expect it to be around 1.2m by now- perhaps more, seeing as country people settled there for generations.

Outbid by cashed up foreign buyers and outside council thresholds that many foreign applicants qualify for, hundreds of thousands of Dubs exiled to Kildare, Wexford, Westmeath, Meath, Cavan, Louth.

Some were voluntary- some wanted a huge property that wasn't attainable in Dublin even in the cheap days.

Some prefer country living.

Most, however, would have preferred to live near where they were from but found themselves priced out, and ineligible for the sort of home many of them grew up in in working families due to income thresholds.

And the establishment wonders where resentment comes from.

Post edited by Cheddar Bob on

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Screaming outside people's homes "get them out" isn't protest its hate and intimidation

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement