Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The unvetted males seems a bit of bogus argument against immigration, largely invented by the far right (most immigrants and emigrants have been 'unvetted' for the last 200 years).

The pressure on services, accommodation and infrastructure argument is actually a lot more compelling and has legitimacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

Unvetted is code for "we don't want what happened in Sweden and Germany to happen here".

Why should we?

They tried one approach. It was a disaster. People literally died.

Why, in one sentence, should we repeat it?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauries wigs

Nothing bogus about it. Tell that to the woman and children who got drain cleaner thrown in their faces yesterday.

But as I said, most people have moved from country to country worldwide for the last two centuries at least without being "vetted". Anyone who is wanted by international police or who is considered to pose a danger to the public will show on various databases (this is the era of the internet and databases).

The whole 'unvetted' thing does seem a tad hysterical and OTT - the vast bulk of neighbours, acquaintances and colleagues of anyone in Ireland have probably never been vetted at any point, apart from those who have applied to work with children, the health service or in the public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Yeah I travelled all over the world with no passport.

Why do people bother going to all that hassle of getting one. Lol

And when you're talking about databases don't forget this is Ireland, we bolt the door after the horse has bolted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Simon Harris said yesterday other countries have failed at integrating people from different backgrounds, he then followed with "we're going to make it work"

How? Why should he be believed? This is the men who as Minister for Health, talked about Covid 19 being different from its 18 prequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

And which of those nationalities had crime rates on a par with

• the Somalis in Britain and Sweden
    • North Africans in Germany, France and Sweden
    • Syrians in Germany and Sweden

Because these are the nationalities we are now getting in serious numbers. Do you think we will get off lucky?

Why?

I'd be the first to admit that prior to maybe 2019 or so we got quite lucky. Most migrant crime tended to be very low level stuff- drunk and disorderly type stuff, fighting, Romas shoplifting, all in all a bit like Paddy abroad in some regards. Unlike in Europe we still haven't seen any major shifts in gangland where groups of non national organised criminals look in any way like asserting dominance anywhere.

But something has changed lately, to the extent that every second serious crime in the news these days seems to involve a non national. Three of the most serious, stop the nation crimes since just 2022 have involved unemployed non nationals (or naturalised ones).

That is quite a record.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Good. I'm not engaging further with your pestering. 👍

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I get what you're saying but I also don't know if it's worth comparing what was done two centuries ago. The unvetted thing comes from passports being deliberately destroyed. We know this happens. People who go to the USA for a holiday with return flights, a passport and an ESTA get a grilling yet in Ireland anyone can saunter in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Absolutely bang on - when I visit Dublin and walk around now, it's a totally different ethnic makeup to the Dublin of my youth. And spreading to rural Ireland. Like Starbucks and MacDonalds, everywhere will be beige and the same mishmash in not too distant future.

For sure, but if a person is fearful of an attack or whatever by a non national, they should be just as concerned about a potential attack by a fellow citizen or even by a friend, neighbour or work colleague - they too are equally 'unvetted'.

The bloody cheek of Simon Harris to to attempt to do this or even assume it, without asking us the Irish population if we agree :(

Out, out, out - FG too long in office, the bloody cheek of them.

Absolutely and no one is saying that Irish murderers/ criminals/ rapists etc don't exist and of course we can't vet them. But that's not an argument to not mitigate risk wherever possible. I mean look at this story: yes it's the UK, but it could just as easily happen here too

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0202/1430077-acid-attack/

The change I've noticed is that in the 2000s you had what you might say were the minority areas. The non nationals arrived and immediately would rent in places like Adamstown, Citywest, Ongar, all the new build areas where Irish people had invested in their BTLs, every week there was people arriving to rent them, or the council was long leasing them for asylum seekers who had been granted leave to remain. Even within one area, say Mulhuddart, the natives were all in the old council houses, the new estates across the road were 50 50.

It's changed in the last decade though, the demographic is changing in the old council estates and in places like Finglas and Crumlin, places that even during the migration boom in the 2000s still, to look around them, looked and sounded like they were still in the 80s in terms of who you walked past on the street.

It's a bit like London in that regard- in 80s London Brixton Hackney Harlesden etc were the "black areas", Walthamstow Tower Hamlets Newham were the Asian areas, and everywhere else was just old working class London.

Now, there are no Asian areas, black areas, everywhere is a minority area and the former natives are now out in Kent and Essex, calling in only to attend matches, work, visit holdout relatives etc.

There was a story of a serious sexual assault case last week involving a non national (a guy broke into a woman's house). But the thing is, the culprit had no previous convictions, either in Ireland or abroad - which illustrates that the whole 'vetting' thing may not be the panacea that people imagine.

Like a fungus spreading out fibrous roots and taking over by stealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

You can't make people integrate, either they want to or they don't that's there decision. Mostly in this country so far, anyone that has come here have integrated successfully. Just look at the Polish, Czech or other nationalities that have come here and integrated, yes they may not be in the GAA club or the same religion or even frequent the pub but they are neighbours and work colleagues and their kids play and mix with all the other kids, in most cases. Yes there are those for whatever reasons don't want to integrate and that is their decision.

Maybe we have been some what successful because we have not had large numbers and therefore it has made integrating less challenging, I wont say easy because I know it is hard to come to a new country, with their customs and ways and language. I had it when I lived in France, I learned french before I went so that I would have enough to start me off and then I found that when I tried to speak the French were nice and helpful, yes I made mistakes and gave them a laugh but they helped me. Now making friends was not as easy due to the culture, they didn't have a pub culture like we have or had so it was not as easy to head out or go out after work but I adjusted and did make friends not as good or as many as the friends I made when I lived in England but I put that down to us and the english being the same but different. :)

No I do agree it's not perfect or guaranteed but that's not a good enough reason to do away with it completely either. With any kind of risk management it's about mitigating risk where possible while also knowing that some risks will exist and sometimes be unavoidable

• Advertisement

The government and the authorities would insist they are doing that. Anyone who enters Ireland who is wanted by international police or has previously been convicted of serious criminal offences such as murder, rape or terrorism will immediately be on the radar of Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

If you’re talking about the same story I read it said he had a conviction in Moldova for sexually abusing a minor and Gardai only found this out when they checked a database AFTER he was arrested for the sexual assault here.

So no we don’t carry out vetting of people with previous convictions coming into Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 1 asfdgfth

i always was looking for passport free travel all over the world but it looks weird

Did you have a liquid lunch! You want us to gamble and enrich a pension fund? Or maybe some funding stream you get from the Lotto margins?

No. But the two classes of citizenship sounds interesting - pray tell me more.

Good . But just shows you have nothing to back up your claims about who burnt the buildings.

I'm sure you will engage again if Leo's little rant bares any new developments.

Reading your posts and considering your views I can certainly see why you can't grasp It. Perhaps you are new.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement