Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Do you think we should put a cap on how many refugees we take in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Ireland is currently not able to look after the young (school places) or the elderly, with lack of medical care

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I did, but I didn't see any posts about which controls they could apply that they are not doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Exactly. We have no idea what they were arrested for and I'd be inclined to hold judgement until we hear why. We all know that police can be heavy handed at demonstrations

No. Sometimes you may get arrested on suspicion of breaking the law.

Gardai arrest people that they observe breaking the law all the time. Like I said, conviction is a different matter

• Advertisement

We do. Apart from the Ukrainian refugees of the last 2 years, refugees come here on refugee programs. Usually from camps in other countries. There are limits on how many we take. And they are photographed fingerprinted and interviewed before they are accepted.

Gardai don't decide if you are breaking the law or not. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

OK, so if you are in power you would make the pitch to our economic and political allies that Ireland wants all their business and resources and the chosen ones of their emigrant communities but we will also not help out with refugees and the countries disproportionately dealing with refugees both in Europe and globally can go f**k themselves as Ireland must only ever perpetually benefit.

That the plan is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Ireland currently has no European Union obligation to take in refugees as it has an opt-in or opt-out clause on individual proposals in the areas of freedom, security and justice through the EU Treaty of Lisbon.

When there is an EU legislative proposal in these areas, Ireland has three months to decide whether to opt-in or not. If it doesn’t opt-in, discussions go ahead, and any adopted legislation doesn’t apply in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've seen accusation from companies that the government is too restrictive in awarding work visas to non-EU nationals i.e. the anti-immigration guys are not the only show in town.

• Advertisement

They arrest people for breaking the law. I'm not even having any more of this ridiculous conversation. I will leave you with just one example, out of many

24. —(1) Where a member of the Garda Síochána finds any person committing an offence under a relevant provision, the member may arrest such person without warrant.

"you would make the pitch to our economic and political allies"

What the fcuk do you think this is, dragons den?

"demand the name and address of any person whom the member suspects, with reasonable cause, has committed, or whom the member finds committing, such an offence, and"

From your own link. The key word being "suspects"

It's the judge who decides if you broke the laws or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It is a very worrying situation that we are failing many different parts of society. It has always been thus to some extent but the accelerating decline in these basic elements of the social contract between citizen and state is what will undo us.

We have lurched to a society of the haves and have nots again. Those in well remunerated employment, whether private or public, with their private healthcare subs paid and a comfortable pension will be fine. And that includes several posters here I believe who are gung ho for the new dispensation. Those in the squeezed middle and below can just look on in anger and that anger will manifest itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

I'm talking about mainstream 6/9 o clock TV news and radio bulletins. All of which I listen to daily over the past 20 years. They used to be big topics now don't make main evening news.

How dare you suggest I am happy government haven't fixed these issues. I fear for my young family's prospects and would love to see an improving Ireland. Where in my text could you possibly pick up that I was happy all of this is going on. More diversion tactics. Shame on you.

We might have to at some stage, depending on how numbers fare out over the next while — or at least a reduction target. But I don't really see the overwhelming logic of having a stated cap when in reality there are political and socioeconomic reasons why not having one is beneficial from a pragmatic perspective.

So you put a cap out there. For some it will always be too high, for others it will be too low. Then what happens if we improve our system and make it more efficient like everyone on here seems to want? Or we come out the other end of the housing crisis? Or we have an economic boom at the precise time a war kicks off somewhere? "Well Ireland your cap was xyz back in 2023, so why isn't it xyz now? How come your cap isn't higher now?".

Putting a cap on this rather than trying to allow yourself some room for pragmatism based on a situation is only creating a problem as I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So there was arrests after the racist gathering 👍

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Haha that was a good one actually. I mean, it was an analogy like but sure if it gave you an opportunity to deflect the point then fair play for taking it.

But let's get specific then, as analogies seem to be not allowed. How do you propose for Ireland to have an effective deportation system that will inevitably require co-operation with other EU countries because Ireland will just bat them all back?

Sounds like we will really need the authorities in the likes of Belgium, France, Germany, UK etc etc to happily say "ah fair enough" (disclaimer: they won't say this literally 😉) and take them all back. Which of course will also likely require the likes of Italy and Greece to happily accommodate this to their own absolute detriment.

All of these countries will simply band together to stop poor Ireland from any burden and, what's more, where they fail they will help us get sorted with deportations.

Well I think that's unfair considering that economic migrants can destroy their passports and still be allowed entry

"Didn't see any reports of violent and thuggish actions from the dangerous far right yesterday"

That's what you replied to with your link to a media report of 11 arrests.

You have failed to provide any information in relation to the arrests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Quite a wish-list you've proposed there. The Housing Crisis will not end anytime soon as it will require cutting back on bureaucracy and planning restrictions, putting brakes on inflation, sort out problems of global supply chains and get banks lending money to builders. Good luck!

Things like RPZ's aren't providing any incentives that's for sure. It's causing private landlords to leave the market and potential ones to steer clear. I expect that issue in particular to accumulate in the following years.

Economic boom incoming? Not with our green agenda i'm afraid. We'll have to look forward to a long period of stagnation now and massage the numbers to keep us out of recession.

The Asylum Seeker system may on paper improve, but in reality will still be mess in no small part thanks to the NGO's that are driving the system now. The government will not limit the number of times someone can apply for Asylum, so the merry-go-round will continue mostly as is while circling the wagons. The government needs to immediately desist with private contracts to provide AS accommodation and start building large purpose-built AS camps. They wouldn't have the stomach for that, so forcing refugees onto local communities and then gaslighting and denigrating them as racists and far right will be the go-to response to the predictable push back from local people.

Insofar as people complaining in future about our low cap, who cares? Screw them all. Ireland First

Again, arrests for what though? Without knowing the nature of the arrests it is very difficult to comment. I'm sure there have been many arrests made at demonstrations for causes you believed in over the years. It happens all the time. But it does not automatically mean a law was broken nor is it evidence of violent or dangerous behaviour in itself

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

Personally, I would say no. Just improve logistics, and focus on how to effectively use the skills and talents of the people coming into the country.

If there is a cap of people moving in, there should also be a cap on Irish people who are moving out, and taking away the jobs and homes of good Americans, for example - not because they need to flee from a war zone, but purely motivated by greed - the ability to make more money abroad.

Just to be clear - I am absolutely in favor of Irish people moving abroad for whatever reason, just apply the same standards to people coming in.

And then there is the whole humanitarian, basic human kindness side of things...

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

Late on in the evening, when everyone was leaving, the Guards appeared with the intention of dispersing anyone out on the street. On Gardiner Street they started arresting people just to encourage others to leave. There's plenty of video, people are trying to leave, following directions and still getting arrested.

That's where almost all the arrests came from.

Speaking to the organisers afterwards they were talking about how the National Party showing up wasn't even a problem any more because the far right label had become such a joke - it was meaningless.

I miss the underdog vibe we had for the last few years. I envy Annasopra a bit for being the new tiny minority of true believers well out of the mainstream. If I was on that side I would be getting the idea out that the slogans and the chants and the name calling is utterly counterproductive. It was great when you were the super majority - it showed you didn't have to bother engaging with your opponents. Now it just makes it look like you haven't any intelligent answers.

No cap on refugees then.

So if the UN decided to evacuate the entire population of Gaza you would be happy to take all 2 million of them next week.

Have to laugh at this, the way you're putting it out there now, there is no prospect that anything about Ireland socioeconomically will ever be better than what we have right now. You seem to be the most positive person on here about the current situation at that rate!

But yeah, you're right. F**k em all. Ireland First. Do what we want and give two fingers to the rest. Simple as that and everyone who says otherwise is a Liberal snowflake obfuscator. That is of course until we realise that an Ireland First policy based on a "who cares" rationale requires that other countries go along with that happily and facilitate our pick and choose migrant policy and happily accept our deportations. Oh and let's not hope that other countries develop the same ideas as us or we are truly fecked.

But none of this matters of course because ...who cares?

Could have been arrested for being drunk, urinating a squad car etc. for all we know.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Indeed. So the labels of far right are correct then if the group is happy to be associated with the National Party.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

I'm sure you're aware there's a big difference between happy to have someone around and feeling they are not causing you major problems by being around.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement