Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

Very simple, no documents arriving via the airport - No entry! you could board a plane with a passport/documention so why destroy it which the majority are and getting into the country...

Bogeyman argument, scaremonger - very americanised terms, so these are the terms floating around when looking for background checks, documentation for people we have no clue about?

- Can I ask you a question is it far-right in your opinion to ask for these checks on people arriving to our shores without any clue to whom they are?

"The point I'm making is that an asylum seeker from a developing nation, with or without passport, receives the same level of 'vetting' as a doctor, IT professional, or construction worker." - That makes absolutely no sense. Asylum seekers is seeking refuge for refugee stats while a worker(outside the EU) looking to work in Ireland goes through the proper channels of visa(s) for working positions we're experiencing shortages off which is fine by my estimates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It’s an offence not to have documentation coming into a flight into Ireland. But for whatever reason the law has not been implemented, there have been almost no prosecutions. Michael McNamara raised it in the Dail lately but was not told why the law is not being implemented.

Yet another farce.

" Mass uncontrolled Immigration! "

Thats a Trumpism imported and perpetuated by Brexiteers and general shower of right wing clowns who are pushing this nonsense to their own advantage.

How come our net migration was only 67000 last year during one of the biggest movement of war refugees in Europe since the Second World War?

You think that is a large number?

Before Ukraine it was about 51000 but that was during Covid when our young people couldn't travel so they are now going in higher numbers.

That may not be the case this year or from now on it was a " have to getta here" thing after being locked down. And Ukrainian and other numbers have slowed also.

So if 2022 and 2023 were the higjh point of the so called 'MUI', its not such the disaster you are painting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

You know where people are taking their talking points when they throw out those ridiculous terms like "Mass uncontrolled migration". I doubt many of them would know any of the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You cried misinformation,

What exactly is misinformation

But they are not all iliiterate. That is not only misinformation, it is a lie!

There are very many Afghanis working in our Tech/ Education and Healthcare systems, and the small amount of Afghanis brought over here after the Taliban took over are their families which nobody should have a problem with, unless they support the Taliban themselves. There are only about 1200 Afghanis in Ireland on the specific Afghan Recovery Program currently . And they are a very quiet and peaceful group not what you are saying. All non supportive of the type of rule of the Taliban

So I don't know what your issue is.. Unless you just can't stand people of other ethnicities or religions, which would say eh, what about you?

And by the way if you are going to quote from a study and expect to be believed

a) that it is a valid peer reviewed study with provable results and

b) that you are not taking findings out of context ie.they may have said other reasons to explain their findings, or indeed confounding factors

c) that it is not biased or propaganda from those with an agenda.

And those that thank your post and other posts like it should look closely at their beliefs, because saying everybody of a particular racial grouping are illiterate without proof or qualification is the very definition of Racism.

This is blatantly untrue. Wr have had staffing issues and bed shortages since the 1970s/ 1980s when government cutbacks during Richie Ryans and Dr Woods ' time resulted in rising numbers unable to access healthcare.

Also comparisons with healthcare back then are ridiculous. Everything has changed from patient stays in hospital pist surgery to the intensive treatment people now get once in the system

Post edited by Goldengirl on

But people we'rent spending their last days on a trolley on a corridor with another hundred people sick , dying or otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

They do have power. You are just doing a simplistic sloganeering thing trying to make that claim.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

Some would nearly have you believe they land into the airport and announce they are a doctor and are working in Vincent's the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

So you're not concerned about this so called security risk so?

From a security perspective, i can't see any difference if you arrive with or without a passport or a visa, if the country you're coming from doesn't have the infrastructure to perform 'vetting'.

If there was a genuine concern around security, I could see an argument saying that a certain level of risk is acceptable for workers in essential services...

But given we're now several hundred pages into this thread and I haven't seen that perspective raised, it's pretty clear these 'vetting' concerns are either ill informed or not genuine.

I replied to your post already in detail pointing out the mis information. Inaccuracies.

How do you know that?

Have you any experience of the health service other than your own personal opinion?

I have 40 years working in it.

Now this is time wasting with these responses saying nothing.

I can't keep answering posts that say " Oh no it isn't!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

It doesn't look to me that this harmonization of corporate tax will have much in the line of real practical implications.

Already the effective rate paid by a lot of these mncs is far less than the headline figure of 12.5%.

Even as the rate was raised to 15% for some 'non-exempt' corporations, tax breaks for r and d were increased by 5%.

Having been involved in some projects which qualify for these r&d exemptions I can tell you the criteria are very generous for what qualifies.

Long story short I think we continue to live in a tax haven.

A consequence of which is seemingly a government which can get away with appalling policy failures, by pointing to how well the economy is doing.

But nothing what I posted was Misinformation unless your claiming Eamon Ryan is spreading misinformation,

My reading of this is you unintentionally posted misinformation by trying to link the recent rise in mass migrations and a different discussion on the idea of Ireland having to prepare for a population of 10 million

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Anyone who destroys their documents and refuses to say who they are or where they come from is hiding something.

Now the reason for that is a serious criminal past or else knowing full well the story they are telling is crap and to avoid the slim chance they might be deported rips up the passport to make things more difficult for immigration officals.

Even Michael McDowell, a former Justice Minister said when he was in the job most of the stories Africans came up with were lies.

Visa migrants on the other hand are coming here legally.

Now if they overstay thats a whole different story and this is also a problem the country has to deal with.

I don't disagree.

However the harmonisation does mean that it is within the gift of other countries to level the playing field.

So that along with availability of an educated workforce and other competitive measures will be necessary to maintain our current economic success.

Other countries would maybe match that too?

Thats not the part I replied to. Bit about 20% of the pop was incorrect.

Dorsn't mean I agree with him either.

Just because a td /minister says something doesn't mean you should take it as gospel, lol.

Anyway you made a statement without saying where it came from.

The numbers I quoted were from CSO. As I said in the post.

Ideally we should both have quoted links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

There were severe cutbacks in health spending in the late 80’s and early 90’s. Resulting in the closure of thousands of hospital beds. Meaning we still have less beds per 1000 people than most other developed countries.

And yet nothing has changed and the population is rapidly increasing,

But I don't remember record numbers suffering in corridors to the point of living out there last days suffering indignity

Again there you are trying to justify arson. Shameful really.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

I dont agree that standing outside where someone lives shouting "get them out" is a legitimate or peaceful protest. Its harassment and intimidation.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

Wouldn't it make sense to base 'security risk' on things that are actually going on, and trying to be effective?

Meaning - when the largest threat and 'security risk trend' is domestic terrorism, expanded ID border controls do nothing to alleviate the risk.

We're both in an unlucky and lucky position.

Unlucky, because this whole domestic terrorist thing is so new that there are no laws and infrastructure in place, and zero measures to prevent it.

Lucky, because it's all new for the domestic terrorists as well - they have been incredibly inept, especially in international comparison. Lots of racist killings in Germany, including murdering a politician back in 2019, 995 attacks on refugee centers in 2016, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

There's been stories of A&E overcrowding for decades now.

But not the records numbers were seeing in the last few, just ask in Limerick hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So give us chapter and verse then on conditions in the health services in the 1970s/80s.

I was young then but I can recall no great problem with bed capacity when my father had to spend time in hospital. Only time I ever spent time in a hospital was in the 1980s, was ill - GP actually called to the house in a rural area (almost unheard of now), looked at me and called an ambulance. No trolley, straight to a bed for a couple of days.

Of course, life expectancy was less then and the range of treatments was far smaller. But my families limited experience of the health services then was quite different from the overcrowding now. And if we keep adding more & more people, it's only going to get worse as we go on.

And a sister did nursing then, very different system as they learnt on the wards day in and day out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Trumpism, Brexiteers and right wing all in one sentence … a dedicated Guardian reader no doubt.

‘Ukrainian numbers have slowed’ .. I wonder why?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cabinet-agrees-to-cut-supports-for-new-arrivals-from-ukraine-1573431.html

Post edited by Elmer Blooker on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement