Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I was referring to the mass accommodation centres in lieu of hotels/defunct buildings.

Good on Ballsbridge, however that's the one and only centre in that postcode. Up to the acquisition of the Herbert Park building there were 6 yes SIX IP applicants accommodated in the whole of Dublin 4. No surprise to me!

Compare and contrast with other areas of Dublin and rural towns and cities.

How Many International Protection Applicants Housed In Leafy Dublin 4? 6 (extra.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

People complaining about the cost of accommodation for IPAs, want the state to house them in more expensive areas.

makes sense 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

who’s educating the ukrainian kids?

what differences does it make? we have a magic money tree. and are you not in favour of housing as many as possible in any location?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

off topic admittedly…. But I empathise 100%. In my son’s Dublin school there is a huge shortage of teachers. A lot of the present teacher's are preparing too leave Ireland as there’s zero rental accommodation for them. Irelands loss , Australia etc gain.

Can’t really blame them after looking on daft ie recently. Jaw dropping. Teachers would need to be on 75k to comfortably survive the prices

Its the business owners choice to rent to the govt or not.

If less hoteliers have decided to rent to the govt in Ballsbridge, thats their perogative.

The govt isnt forcing anyone to rent out their hotels.

Ownership of that decision lies squarely with the hotelier.

They are not forcing? they don’t need to… with the ridiculous amount of money they are waving at them…

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

As a mother and a teacher, I wouldn't accept this situation for one second and I would be doing everything in my power to make noise until the situation changed.

Irish people are waaayyyyyy too passive about these situations. We take things lying down while we are literally seeing others being put ahead of us and getting ahead of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

There is terrible waste in housing IP in private hotels.

But as much as there's no 'magic money tree', neither is there a 'magic refuse entry' tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,598 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But even housing experts aren't linking that to immigration. They talk of new accommodation being specifically built by foreign investor funds designed to extract high rents, tenants being evicted for 'no fault' reasons, lack of new social housing, landlords raising rents or seeking to turn the accommodation into Airbnbs etc. It's not immigrants that are the problem, but the Irish rental market itself....it's totally dysfunctional. The government is probably the biggest culprit in failing to build anywhere near enough affordable homes in the last 10-15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

The noise, the emails, the face to face is doing nothing. It's pathetic.

Kids coming home crying. I laughed at her at the start as we would have done anything to not have a teacher back in the day.

But kids are different now so I get it.. junior Cert year too. it's nuts.

True lots of refusing alright, no magic money tree in Swords. Lots of magic money tree courtesy of the Irish taxpayer for Hotels for poor unfortunates.

https://twitter.com/GarNob/status/1760638301206089742/

“Housing experts” . Who are these people exactly you refer to ? Are they politically independent “experts” ?

There is absolutely no way that mass immigration, be that Ukrainians or IPAs is not having a dire effect on our domestic rental prices. Even Airbnb prices (regardless of private room or entire let’s) in this country are off the charts compared to Spain , France , Germany etc.

The connections are clear to see if you are indeed willing to actually have a logical look at the overall picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,598 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Landlords, investors and private developers are laughing at you. It suits them down to the ground for you to blame immigrants for the accommodation crisis....whilst they get to raise the rents and absolutely rake in the cash.

I’m not blaming the immigrants themselves though. I’m blaming governmental policies that enrich the Landlords , investors and private developers that you mention.

The government policies are the cause , the immigrants are the effect .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Patrick you only have to look back 12 or so years to see ghost estates of houses all over the country.

Houses that were left to fall or be pulled down.

Never say never. If they had the will, this crowd could've built more than enough in the last 10 years.

And some hoteliers take the deal, some dont.

No point moaning D4 doesnt have hotels for IPAs. The owners are choosing not to do so.

If Killarney or wherever are renting their hotels to the govt, have a word with them, not the folks in Dublin.

There should be more affordable and cost rental homes, not just social homes.

When the govt takes its part 5 allocation for new builds (or rents additional homes from the developer, as they are inclined to do) they should be bringing 50% of these homes to market as affordable or cost rental - so teachers and nurses can live in them.

These professions earn too much to qualify for social housing but too little to rent privately.

That needs to be addressed until we have enough housing for everyone.

• Advertisement

Thats sad to read and I hope you enjoy the retirement.

We do need to do a lot more to support key workers, especially with cost rental and affordable homes.

There is too much emphasis on social housing for no and low earners, but little support for those in the middle that cant afford private rents in Dublin.

We have entire apartment blocks in the best areas of Dublin rented by the council for social housing, but teachers etc dont qualify for them, as they earn too much. (but not enough to rent privately)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

Yes absolutely more support is needed for key workers. The Government promised extra teachers and extra teachers were provided. I assumed that would decrease class sizes but instead in our school and I'm sure in many others, class sizes exploded and these extra teachers are teaching English as an additional language to small groups during Irish, Religion etc. In no way as a mainstream teacher was I supported. One 5th yr class has a minority of English speaking students. I have no training in teaching students with little to no English. The Department offered no training or support other than a list of common words and translations in Ukraine. It's an extremely difficult and frustrating environment when you are doing your best to prepare students for Leaving Cert and it slows the class down immensely. I never expected that this would be how my teaching career would end, frustrated and disillusioned and I'm not alone. Schools are losing well established and talented teachers up and down the country to early retirement from burn out. I imagine grind schools are rubbing their hands in glee.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

At least the leftie windbags on this site will be able to say "I told you so" when the far right they've blathered on about for years is birthed, this time for real, by their own actions.

Post edited by nullzero on

Glazers Out!

Of course there is a humanitarian element.

Violence is not an appropriate response, ever.

Your posts smack of 5G, conspiracy theorist nonesense. Teenage Classroom stuff.

Lets see what O'Gorman proposes for the longer term state owned solution to asylum accomodation needs.

Am I alone in thinking this is surely an instant dismissal due to incompetence situation here. The war in Ukraine was 24 months ago. That’s 2 years ago to reiterate and this gombeen is just now getting around to announcing some so called government plan to accommodate asylum seekers etc.

If this occurred in a private company the individual’s incompetence would not only result in dismissal but likely a full investigation of fraud and racketeering possibilities.

Only in Ireland is this level of stupidity allowed to go unchallenged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I would have a sense that the more peripheral parts of the country were not seen as important when it came to housing refugees.

There was massive change in North Clare and a severe hit to tourism, but barely a word about it. There really was a very good response from the communities, but little assistance.

When one hotel in Drogheda was secured the actual Taoiseach was calling for some dimension of tourism activity to continue.

The difference is very striking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Have the government bought that other hotel in Roscrea yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

O Gorman and the government are not reliable sources so whatever he proposes is irrelevant. Only actions taken and if they work are relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

But the problems that people from the third world bring with them are sometimes so alien as to be outside the Irish experience.

Like there have been cases in recent decades of Indonesian immigrants to the United States bringing their slaves with them. Know any slave traders?

Asylum seekers in particular may be traumatised from having been tortured. That should make people a little wary.

Of course you say you'd be happy to live with one but if you actually had to live with a dangerous or potentially violent person it would no longer be an abstract political discussion, you would be rightly worried for your personal safety and looking for a new place to live.

In Ireland we've been mostly insulated from third world problems including extremes of wealth and poverty, extreme political instability, a large resentful underclass etc. We think we have these problems but compared to the 190+ other countries in the world we don't have a rough time of it.

We are spolit enough that we can give out about 'white males' (European men) all day and play along to pre-digested American cultural narratives.

But if we bring in third world sub-populations, who will grow larger over time, then we will have never-ending problems we've never had before and Ireland in the future could be much more like Argentina or Mexico than the relatively safe and wealthy country it is now.

• Advertisement

I agree with you that a longer term plan should have been implemented much earlier.

The asylum issue is going to expand hugely over the next few decades. Anyone thinking that the Ukraine issue is a blip has their head in the sand.

So we certainly need a long term plan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement