Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Cheaper flights, more organized human trafficking and cellphones / GPS navigation has made illegal migration from the third world to Europe & US a lot more feasible, which is why numbers have exploded.

However that does NOT mean that Europe and the US should roll over and just let them come. As Leo Varadkar seems to be doing when he butters us up about the "inevitability" of third world migration, as though we were helpless about it. We're only helpless about it if we allow the human traffickers to do what they do.

The correct conclusion from your graph is that if the US had not increased their border spending so much, the numbers coming in would be far greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭twinytwo

The problem is they have never really tried to control the border - if the government really wanted to they could sort it out in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Really? The US and many other countries have been trying to 'harden' their borders for years.

Why would we be successful when so many others have failed?

Surely more a speculative assumption than a correct conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

The question is with all these projected numbers is what is the end game? So if all available hotels and B & Bs and nursing homes are used to house asylum seekers, then they'll probably move to take over holiday homes or "derelict" properties. What happens after that? Will they use census information* to determine how many people in the country live in houses with empty rooms? Are they going to force or billet asylum seekers into people's homes? They've already shown how little regard for Sean and Sinead public.

*For all those that say they can't use census information in this manner, they may not be able to do this now, but who's to say they couldn't change the laws in the future?

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

taking over holiday homes was mooted for Ukranians. I would not be surprised if it goes that direction. they’ll figure it somehow to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

130 million since 2020, this refugee industry is the only show in town. RIP tourism, yer profit margins could never match this farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

The PAC are looking at the 100s of ks in RTE but apparently the government can spend fortunes to private individuals with no accountability.

"In total, the 13 companies in which Séamus McEnaney and 14 other family members are involved have been paid €106,918,379 in taxpayers' money since the beginning of 2022 for what the department lists as 'Provision of accommodation and services' or 'Ukraine Accommodation and/or Related Costs'.

The Department of Integration paid more than €1.3bn in the first nine months of last year to companies providing accommodation for International Protection Applicants (IPAs) and refugees from Ukraine.

Séamus McEnaney's Brimwood was the second-highest-paid company, receiving a total of €28,863,543 from the State between January and September 2023."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sickening to read of the crazy sums of money being thrown around in this human trafficking industry.

• Advertisement

Rodney Gorman ultimately may end up a one term Minister/TD - but the absolute wholesale damage he has done is breathtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Who sets the rates we're paying these private individuals for housing asylum seekers/refugees? Who selects who gets the contracts? Is it all done on a wink and a nod and depends on who you know?. Is there no accountability at all? Someone must be signing off on authorizing these unreal sums. Local health boards set limits on the likes of incontinence pads etc allowed to our elderly or home care hours but our government are quite happy to make millionaires of individuals just so we can say we're meeting our "obligations"

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

I honestly feel like the Irish would already be a minority in Ireland if not for the housing crisis.

Look at how much money they'll throw at Ukrainians and IPAs! (Or maybe I should say hotel owners)

Not a problem due to the bumper tax take from multi nationals and Ireland even got so much a sovereign wealth fund was created.

There's got to be some big time corruption going on.

Tourists paid 100 euro a night a room at the D hotel in Drogheda and the department are going to be paying three times that.

If they had a lot of housing stock were would it be going?

The place would be like the united nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I would go so far as to say that what he has done is nearly treasonous.

He has actively invited tens of thousands of illegal immigrants into the country, and imposed huge costs on taxpayers.

Workers earning less than mean earnings face a 48.5% marginal income tax rate to pay for this.

Think about that, even if you earn below average earnings, you pay nearly half of any extra income in direct taxes.

Very few other countries impose such a rate on people earning modest wages.

To add to it, even if he is rejected next time, he will ride into the sunset with a generous ministerial pension and 2 fingers to the rest of us left trying to sort out the unholy mess he has caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭sekiro

It's quite telling that nobody in any position of power is talking about the end game here.

Are they building a future cheap labor force? Or a future voting block?

Right now it feels like the individual immigrants themselves are treated like a unit of product just like in a lot of other industries. Each refugee represents 3 meals a day, clothing, a place to sleep, services to support them and so there is plenty of scope for people to make a living supporting that industry. Are we just bringing these folk in here as a product that keeps an industry moving along?

What are the actual prospects for the asylum seekers themselves? You arrive in Dublin in 2024 and are shown to your hotel room, then what? What happens for the next year, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years?

We live in a country where sustainability is a very common topic of conversation. We understand recycling and we understand the need for renewable energy and so on. Yet, we don't really see an issue with increasing the population and not scaling housing and services to keep pace with that increase? That's very, very, strange.

If you imagine it from your own perspective that you're taken by bus to Rosscrea or even as close to Dublin as Drogheda shown to your room (shared room?) and given some pocket money, what are you actually going to do with yourself? What's the future there? Standing around outside the local post office until night time then going back to your hotel room every day for the rest of your life?

I think this whole thing would go easier if there was some idea of what the long term goal is supposed to be here. Instead it's very much shrouded in mystery.

The whole racism angle seems like a big distraction. I very rarely see a pro-immigration stance that can explain what the long term future looks like.

I'd love to see someone try to sell immigration as a positive thing that I should not only support but should be actively trying to encourage because it's going to be better for myself, my family and my local area. Right now I don't see any benefits at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

These are all fair questions I think O'Gorman and the govt should outline a longer term plan, when the details around govt owned IPA accommodation are released.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭sekiro

That doesn't answer my questions though.

Would that be an appropriate answer for our government to offer up? Sure, they can all work for Just Eat and Uber Eats, it'll be grand. That really does strengthen the need to ask if we are just bringing people in as a future cheap labour force.

Plenty of people living and contributing in Ireland are not Irish but the circumstances in the country when they arrived are completely different from now.

Are there enough jobs out in Roscrea for example so support such an influx of people? Are those people expected to ultimately move on to larger population centers to compete for jobs and get on the property ladder?

You are comparing apples and oranges in order to avoid addressing the issues.

On one extreme end of the scale would be "no immigration". On the other end would be "no border control at all and social welfare benefits for all".

Most rational people would have to fall somewhere between those points. So the conversation should naturally become one of sustainability. Do we really think that the current situation is sustainable?

Again, I'd love to see someone try to sell immigration as a positive thing that I should not only support but should be actively trying to encourage because it's going to be better for myself, my family and my local area.

I think that's a fair question to ask in terms of visa based migration, where we do actually invite people to come and work here.

For IPAs, though some posters might claim otherwise, people come here on the basis of making a claim for protection.

These people arrive due to their own necessity, or decisions they've made. How many come and when, are due to push and pull factors largely outside the governments control. More will likely choose Ireland when the economy is going well, and that to me seems again to be something outside our control.

Some people advocate a deterrent based approach to keep people away, but it doesn't seem to me that this has worked in other countries, and I can't see why we'd waste further resources on it.

I'm no GP fan but to me the idea of blaming O'Gorman for inviting people looks pretty silly. Other wealthy countries don't have an O'Gorman yet they seem to get plenty of IPA's too.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DaithiMa

You don't think stuff like this from 2021 has had an impact on the numbers that choose Ireland?

Now I could be wrong here but I haven't seen many other European politicians or parties that are in power making promises like this. Especially making the promise in seven or eight different languages on social media. That is all on O'Gorman and the imbecilic Greens.

• Advertisement

I don't really think it's had too much of an impact.

We seem to be at around the same figures we had during the last boom when we had direct provision.

Going by the thanks for that it's funny the amount of people who buy such a flawed conclusion.

How would changes in tech and cheaper airline tickets account for these fluctuations over this recent seven year period.

Source, https://www.migrationpolicy.org/news/turning-point-us-unauthorized-immigrant-population

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭JPCN1

You don't think he'll use this as a springboard to a top EU position? I don't think we'll be so lucky to have him ride off into the sunset.

Europe the promised land for failed Irish politicians and this has to stop.

he has his academic career in DCU (I think?) also. He won’t go hungry that’s for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Couldn’t read through the entire thread so apologies if already suggested, but why isn’t there an EU body that manages immigration, so that there is one body working to validate asylum seekers claims, a unified/codified system of processing applications quickly and then across the EU a ticket based queue where the applicant is sent to wherever they get accepted, so no choice what country, and every country has to accept the same per capita percentage of asylum seekers.

Seems to me that Ireland are attracting too many and holding too many while being processed.

As a blanket rule, if people are being processed they should be sequestered and within a short period of days should either enter the system or be deported outside the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Couldn't get past the headline of the story in cellbridge.

If its true that's the end of this goverment and their will be massive violence.

If it is not true their will still be violence.

I pray to God that it is lies and that did not actually happen.

If its a made up story it takes some sort of sick individual or individuals to do that and I hope they get more than just a prison sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭JPCN1

I don't think these two items are unrelated.

Health remains a mess. Promises made over children with scoliosis broken and money disappeared. Children's hospital, built in the wrong place to service the nations children and so far over budget that heads should roll. Will they? Will they f**k.

Gardai demoralised and ineffective our armed forces much the same. Both with huge recruitment issues.

Tourism sector broken.

RTE probably beyond redemption.

No plan, no vision, no leadership, no effective opposition. We will look back on this time where we had the money to fix so many issues and wonder what the **** this government were at.

We need to find a mechanism to bring brighter people into politics. I don't care how much they are paid as right now the current lot are blowing billions and even more for the generations to come.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement