Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

If the government had of had proper centres for migrants aa they were told from the start there would of been no burning of buildings.

If communities had been informed about what was happening instead of stealth tactics carried out under the cover of darkness there would of been no buildings burnt.

The burning of buildings was an outcome brought about because of totally useless out of touch government and ministers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Thought Jim O Callaghan spoke a bit of sense on Drivetime today when he said we need to get on top of the numbers coming here because there is no accommodation available and the reality is if a few hundred a week keep coming they will be outside in tents.

He also said we need to expand the number of safe countries on the list to bring us in line with other EU member states.

Of course they also had Cian O Callaghan from the SDs losing his marbles when this was mentioned.

Even if they could magic up 100,000 houses a year at this stage it wouldn't be enough.

I'd bet the house most of the men in those tents are economic migrants so the immigration department responsible for making decisions on this need to start deporting the ones would have no right to be here and end this crap where they can appeal multiple times and we foot the bill for it.

They also need to get a handle on people showing up with no documents.

All these things are doable if we only had Ministers who are prepared to do the job we pay them for.

Keep going the way they are and this "far right" boogeyman the Government and NGOs keep talking about really will appear in the Dail because people are sick of this open border policy and will vote for candidates they think are listening to their concerns about immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The childish arguments for doing nothing at all about illegal immigration except encouraging it are ridiculous.

It strikes me that because of an understandable dislike of Trump and the Tories a section of the Irish public decided that pursuing commonsense policies around blatant law-breaking were Verboten. That was madness. The chickens have come home to roost now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

We don't give billions in overseas aid.

And we don't have to build houses or pay EU fines, but I think the consequences of any actual alternative options will be worse.

Ireland doesn't have to solve the worlds problems but I think it would be in everyone's best interests if wealthy countries worked together to look at the push factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭prunudo

No, she's pawning them off to nearby Newtownmountkennedy, where there is an abandoned HSE proterty that is suddenly getting a lot of security, groundwork and workers operating under torchlight.

Of course, every official is oblivious, nothing to see here, move along, theres no tender for work, that site isn't under consideration, yet work increases each day.

No planning permission, no transparency, blatant lies and contempt to the community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,335 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

My guess is about 80 to 90% of the asylum seekers are coming for economic reasons and are not escaping persecution.

This is something that is finally dawning on the establishment. They probably already knew this and it was grand while numbers were low.

Now that numbers are rising and continuing to rise across Europe, the EU is about to redefine what an asylum seeker is.

That's where we're heading.

The numbers coming are too high and rules will need to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭aziz

IRELAND IS TO increase its allocation of foreign aid by €60 million to €776.5 million which is an 8.4% increase on the 2023 allocation. The announcement brings the total allocation in the Official Development Assistance (ODA) from across Government for 2024 to €2 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Aurelian

It would be a very sensible approach. It's amazing what can be achieved at source in some of these countries for relatively small money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,335 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Nobody wants an asylum centre anywhere near them. Even the do gooders privately don't want them beside them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

We actually know which countries all asylum seekers are coming from and it's not the case that 80-90% are coming from 'safe' countries.

It's certainly true that the people coming from the likes of Georgia, Albania and South Africa are probably economic migrants, but those from places like Afghanistan, Syria, Somalia and Sudan would mostly be real refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

I'd say they are eying up the student accommodation in May. They have wrecked tourism in alot off areas might aswell fcuk up the students for next year aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Ahwell

”it’s the Government that made me do it” is not going to be a defence that will work in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LongfordMB

So it costs 640m euro per year to accommodate the 22,000 asylum seekers who arrived last year.

That means it costs 6.4 billion for 10years. And that's before we give them a free home worth 400k. Giving all of them a free home, which we will have to do, will cost around 8 billion euro.

And bear in mind those numbers are just for the arrivals last year. There will be another 25,000 coming this year. And probably more the year after.

This is totally insane and unsustainable

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Except we do not really need more unskilled workers, we have plenty on unemployment payments that could and should be off their backsides in these jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Those who are long term unemployed or 'unemployable' wouldn't even be able to do these unskilled jobs (or might not want to). They are the types who would turn up late every day, be absent much of the time, be useless at the job, have nowhere near the fitness levels to do the work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,383 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Think for as much as it will hurt us in other ways we need to look at changing the way we deal with immigration at least having the conversation….maybe it’s leaving the EU.

people coming here to seek assylum / protection, from Africa and the likes ? If I needed to be protected from anything here and had to get out…. I’m not going 6000-9000 miles away. I’m looking at the Nordics, UK, Spain etc….France, Italy.

they are here for a better life, a life upgrade, benefits, housing, better climate, better healthcare, public transport, all paid for and facilitated by us. Not just protection or asylum. With climate change… it’s going to become more prevalent.

politicians have to band together and stop arseing about…enough is enough…. deal with what’s going on truthfully, pragmatically, seriously and directly…

of course with Leo and Martin…. They simply don’t have the quality of leadership required or the ability to deal with these problems minus spin and talking out of both sides of their mouths …. They haven’t the ability, the empathy, the courage or fortitude to speak up for their own country, taxpayers and own citizens….just… carefully chosen soundbites. We are now basically an afterthought in our country and paying and sacrificing everything, for that privilege.

wait until as im willing to bet happens in coming years….

bedroom tax…. There are politicians already for that , advocating for it…the initial idea was sowing the seed.

changing planning laws to facilitate mega high rise…. We thought or were told…after Ballymun that wouldn’t be happening again… it will be and is.. 22 & 25 story residential developments have either been granted permission or it has been applied for…. Ballymun had a high of 15 stories..

Everything is being done to undermine the wellness, wellbeing and quality of life of Irish citizens…

taxes will have to rise, borrowing will have to rise, the country and its citizens is in a very difficult situation which will get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭creeper1

Let's get those 500 males into accommodation in Balls bridge.

They have been mooting some kind of reception centre there for a while now.

Let's have the residents of the tent city relocated out there.

Please. Please. Please.

Can't that pathetic excuse for an opposition party not at least call for something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

What's wrong with going high rise? Most Irish towns have pathetic population density compared to Europe. Much prefer to see them build higher than more car dependent semi D's style developments.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

No he genuinely thinks this is clever and will resonate with people. He and his speech writers are deluded

Your right, definitely won't.

That's if anyone is ever brought in front of a court.

It's really sad it has come to this, its really divided the country. I know lots of immigrants who have come to this country to work and start a better life for themselves and now due to the totally farcical and non existent immigration control carried out by totally useless, clueless ministers they are going to suffer and face abuse along with the illegal immigrants who have no intention of working or integration. It really sickens me to see the state some of our cities have become, anyone who thinks this is managed, sustainable or right is deluded. All that this government has done like alot of other European countries is opened the door for a Far right. Bad bad times ahead.

There are plenty of these kinds landing every day into Ireland, unless you're still believing that old government line about doctors and engineers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

The same is true for many of the economic migrants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

Thanks for answering.

But I would prefer the people who are pushing and supporting this madness to let me know what the plan should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

There appears to be enough in this thread.

Surely one can give me an idea of how they think it should play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/the-town-can-take-no-more-roscommon-senator-tells-locals-they-are-not-racist-for-resisting-refugees/a456502238.html

‘The town can take no more’ – Roscommon senator tells locals they are not racist for resisting refugees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I think you're onto something there - The site at RTE would be perfect for a tented village in the interim. The lads can use the subsidised canteen and all the WC facilities at their will, and because everyone at RTE are so sympathetic to their plight, they'd be made very welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Not forgetting they could use the RTE canteen for food.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement