Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I don't hear it.

Maybe if you're of a particular mindset you'll find a connotation regardless of the term?

But do feel free to explain.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Mr. teddywinkles threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 13,395 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

You left out a few there...

Preachey right wing misogynists who live to stir up anti liberal angst or against what they label " the woke agenda".

Phone wielding video bloggers calling themselves ' citizen journalists' as they invade people's privacy and place them in danger by so called naming and shaming, often incorrectly and with impunity, on various trash social media sites.

Social media sponges who soak up the drivel and splurge it on with no critical thinking whatsoever.

It was the hypocrisy I was calling out.

But yes I take your point.

When I posted that yesterday I was unaware the situation in Crooksling was as dire as it is.

Obviously looking at it from today the view of that has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,265 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Obviously from today you completely ignore Annasopra fake reporting and found out there's actually 15 toilets and six showers Crooksling?

• Advertisement

Or maybe put them up in the Jury's hotel like you said yesterday.. The one you said was empty, but is currently being demolished. And property of the US state.

You said you'd come back with a link to prove me wrong, where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Funny you're the one who just used the line ...'Social media sponges who soak up the drivel and splurge it on with no critical thinking whatsoever'.

you'll be aware O'Gorman said there are 15 toilets on that site, it's not a lie you can fake like he normally does.....and anyone with eyes can see that is not a 'filthy disgusting toilet' ...the environment is and was wholly created

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭combat14

sounds like a shopping list for would be economic migrants passing through multiple safe countries to get here rather than genuine refugees

Was that the video from the blogger who was threatening the guy in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I don't get this whining about safe countries to be honest.

If I was an asylum seeker having to give up my life and move, I'd certainly want to go to a country which looked like it has opportunities.

Besides do you realistically expect any of the those transit countries to deal with people who want to come here on our behalf?

People want to come here, and barring some big global changes, are going to come here. I'd think it more important to figure out the best way of dealing with that than moaning about perceived injustices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,335 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I note that you don't bother to say what the 60% are.

Most people think they are economic migrants chancing their arm as asylum seekers.

Have you never given it thought?

Well I didn't get my info from social media. And I am not talking just about toilets here.

The info yesterday was that it was supplied with running water, and the adequate sanitation and food facilities nearby which is not true and won't be for a while yet.

Also a shower of protestors at the site with the usual far rimixed in, and no security or surveillance is not the safest environment.

Gas how people believe O'Gorman when it suits them.. You both RoG supporters ?

Especially love this bit, sonof...

"you'll be aware O'Gorman said there are 15 toilets on that site, it's not a lie you can fake like he normally does....."!!

You know he is hoping that all will be sorted when he gets back from his jolly in Japan?

Placing people in an isolated field with nothing except facilities for an overnight camp is as inhuman as unsanitary conditions in Mount St with at least the facility of the city around them.

Neither are suitable, or enough for human beings.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The african threatened to kill him.

Anything at all to say about that.

You might not like the guy recording the video but he didn't put the words in the migrants mouth.

I would not be taking the word of any of those shysters if they filmed it or not... These guys are the dregs and they could have edited anything in or out.

Not to be trusted... Or disseminated.. imo..

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Repro212

There's no witch hunt going on, just exasperation with the NGO's and other members of the right on brigade with their morally superior 'how dare you suggest any asylum seekers are disingenuous' mentality and 'come one and all' hashtags, when it's clear the country is at breaking point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

This is a f**kin ridiculous situation.

Ah now there are no such people here anyway. Most people are somewhere in the middle.

An awful lot of people out there working with NGOs who would hold the same views as many of us and NGOs that nobody disadvantafed abused or with a disability could do without in this country.

Maybe if the original post was clear enough to be construed as debate I could reply.

But all we have instead is passive aggressive insults from one poster who calls another immature??

The condescending " lived experience types"??

This is all just nonsense dressed up as pseudointellectuali discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

People aren't doing what they can.

The government invited people to this country despite having nowhere for them to stay.Imagine inviting someone to stay the night at your house and then telling them we've no spare room you'll have to camp outside, that is pretty much what the Irish government have done.The government should never have pursued a policy of letting so many people enter the country when there is nowhere for them to stay.

You have individuals on twitter every day saying how awful it is and yet they'll never offer them a place to stay in their own homes, if they really believe it is awful then maybe they need to do something and not expect the government to do everything for them.

We have people in this country cheering for as many people as illegal immigrants as possible to come here knowing full well the country hasn't enough accommodation for people who live here already and all purely so they can appear kind an impress gullible idiots on twitter and facebook.

The only people I'll expect any support from in my life are family and close friends.That is the way most people are they don't live their life expecting the government to provide everything for them or people they don't know to help them.

Also if people think the government have made a balls of it and actually care then maybe they should do more themselves .A couple of weeks ago I saw how littered our road was, instead of bitching and whining and blaming the local authority in our area for not doing a better job cleaning it I just went out and picked up the litter myself (no big deal in fairness) .Maybe if people want something done to alleviate this issue then instead of spending all day pretending to care they should actually do something constructive, so many people who have been cheerleading importing unreasonable numbers of people into the country then complain when there's nowhere for them to stay and yet are not willing to help these people themselves.

Performative caring is incredibly sleazy in my opinion , maybe honesty is a better policy and instead of pretending to care and leading people along the government and all the virtue signallers would be better off to have a more sensible approach and say country is full sorry but that's the way it is we can't take more people in , rather than stringing people along and giving them false hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Oh how convenient that something which doesn't suit your argument is edited.

• Advertisement

Well the only proofyou have is a video from a dubious source .. How convenient for you then.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭Cordell

Of course. People who are actually vulnerable can't afford such a long trip, literally to the other end of the world. What gets here is people with enough means to finance their trip, coming out of the safe zones, with passports and money for airplane tickets. The very fact we're so far away filters out genuine refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Why would you think refugees have no money?

The amount of money someone has is not a factor in whether they are fleeing from something. neither is being poor a reason to seek asylum.

Our refugee programs take people directly from camps to this country, those are the people that cannot help themselves. People who can help themselves do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

So... Most of the people relocated to Crooksling (although many allegedly went to Blessington - I dunno how true this is) have walked back... Cause they didn't want to be there.

And also, as the cleanup happened around Mount Street. Most of the tents were completely empty.

Something strange is happening....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

By paying people traffickers thousands? Hardly screams vulnerable that.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

You forgot to add useless at doing anything useful

You mean adding a flag to your Twitter bio doesn’t move the world???? Shocked I tell you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

If the construction labour isn't there , there is little the government can do with such demand , despite what many on the left seem to believe, the government isn't a stingy Santa Claus

Besides if the government somehow managed to attract home construction workers from Australia and a hundred thousand units were built, AS numbers would increase in tandem and cancel the whole thing out

The demand is infinite under our new prevailing moral philosophy of open borders

Makes “if you build it they will come” less ethereal and more terrifying!

I tried to discuss this with a well meaning colleague where they argued passionately that we have “tens of thousands of construction workers overseas and if we bring them home we can build enough housing for everyone!!”

When asked where they and their families would live - answer came there none! Some people are great with intentions but not so much with the plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I would imagine putting your life in the hands of people traffickers who care nothing for human life, is the very meaning of vulnerable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement