Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I just have no idea why people are not allowed to feel sad at a native population being a minority and are patronised with "what does it matter what colour they are" responses. If similar happened in say, Japan, and a Japanese person said that native Japanese were in a minority, liberals wouldn't tell patronise them with a similar response would they

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭suvigirl

America is a country formed on immigration. The native Americans became a minority immediately on arrival of the Europeans. They brought about diseases that the natives were not immune to, up to 80% native population died in some places.

There is no comparison, between 400 years ago and now.

You came up with this yourself ' you think there's no issues with native Irish becoming minorities '

firstly, You will have to explain what you mean by native Irish? Is that the Irish that have been mixed by immigration of Scandinavians? French? Spanish? English? I don't think there is much of a comparison between the native Americans, who lived alone until the 1400s and the Irish of today, which have mixed with others for 2000 years!

Also, the post I quoted was about white Germans being a minority. There are black Germans too, or do they not count as German? that's a bit offensive, wouldn't you agree? In exactly the same way, there are black and white Americans and black and white Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

He was on Ireland's Classic Hits last night, although it was a repeat from last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Some of the most fierce open borders advocates are champions of indigenous identity in various countries, they prob even travel abroad for sweat lodges and protests. But if Declan or Ciara from Westmeath query why they're not entitled to the same status as a distinct people that should be preserved they'll be told that they're just the same as any other European.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I'm not sure who is prohibiting you from feeling sad about it. You are very much allowed to feel sad about it, just as people are allowed to question and challenge your reasons for feeling sad about it. Do you feel sad that you are the descendant of many different races and "native peoples" rather than being just one of them? The Celts are gone, the Gaelic peoples gone, the Vikings gone, the Normans are gone — all replaced and intermingled until the output was the modern concept of an Irish person. I don't particularly lose any sleep over that .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,365 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 86,365 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Niall is on at night

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭maisie45

The IPAs are now being housed in South Dublin and this is affecting the influential elite.

They wont stand by while children with no english are bussed to their schools.

They wont like lots of young men hanging around their leafy neighbourhoods, they would object if they were young white Irish men too but the sight of lots of non national men will see them pick up the phone and their calls will be answeted.

The influx of Nigerians is worrying because their is a large nigerian community established here and an established community will draw more nigerians and we csnt cope with that, we dont have the resources and even if we had we dont want to be a minority in our own country, Nigerians would be very unhappy if white people became a significant minority in Nigeria too, woke naive people wont see a problem with the Irish becoming a minority in this tiny country, wiser heads will worry and they are right to.

The other issue is many of the recent Nigerian migrants are coming here from the UK, this is in response to the Uks Rwanda plan, again we have to put a stop to this too or it will be shanty towns all over Dublin City by next Autumn.

Its shameful that it took so long for the Govt to wake up, tourism industry is destroyed, years and years of blood sweat and tears snd just wiped out overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Someone like Boylan is going to make a big impact soon.

There are a huge number of people who don't think the country is working for them. They feel that work doesn't pay to the extent that it should, that there are too many immigrants, that the country is too soft on crime and that politicians are out of touch and have failed on the big issues.

It may not happen this year, but I think that unless FF and FG start to move back towards the centre there is a political earthquake coming.

• Advertisement

There is a massive exodus of people in their mid twenties, these are highly educated and an asset to whatever country they go to.

They are leaving because they see no future here, cant even find anywhere to rent and wouldnt have a hope of buying.

They earn too much to qualify for social housing but are paying huge taxes while entire new apartment blocks are given over to social housing applicants.

Its an utter clown show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭suvigirl

But there are homeless people living in the streets, in tents, in hotels for years. all it shows it that government are not.supplying housing for those in need of it.

Few different points addressed here, not blaming refugees though

https://www.rte.ie/news/health/2024/0206/1430691-gp-practice-ireland/

'When Dr Daly qualified as a GP, it was normal for a rural doctor to work 60 or 70 hours per week.

there has not been a proportionate increase in the number of GPs that are trained or recruited in Ireland.

is that the demands of patients have changed as populations have become older and healthcare has become more complex.'

I don't think anyone denies that we need more GPs in the country. Hopefully there will be more like this allowed to practise soon

https://www.irishtimes.com/health/2023/08/05/its-at-crisis-point-meet-the-overseas-gps-keeping-rural-irelands-health-services-alive/

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2024/02/18/a-mayo-success-story-that-silences-the-prophets-of-doom/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,648 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Nope didn't leave. He is on some nights now but he does his own podcast/show everyday at lunchtime I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

We're too lax in this country with border controls.

I was watching the Irish border control program recently and thought the officers were very lenient, particularly if you compare us to the United States.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

As I said action will be taken now that the use of empty office buildings was mentioned.There are plenty of these in the nicer residential areas.

It was okay when it was the North Inner city that was packed with immigrants, okay when one horse towns, the one horse being tourism was over run, the elite dont care as they holiday in their Mediterranean bolt holes.

The numbers of IPAs in the more affluent areas are increasing now and co incidentally all of a sudden its now possible to fast track the asylum process, co incidence, nah, its no co incidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Also might have something to do with the fast track process that European Union member states have been discussing and planning in the context of the EU Migration and Asylum Pact.

I sincerely doubt the whole thing just started over fears of the mass mobilisation of the people of Dalkey.

Less than 3.5k IPA applications in Ireland, the year we declared housing a national emergency (and failed to act on it.)

https://migrant-integration.ec.europa.eu/library-document/ireland-annual-report-migration-and-asylum-2019_en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I don't expect anything, I saw the interview and mentioned it today as it was relevant to what was being discussed. I never thought to archive it. And even if I posted a link it wouldn't matter as I've no doubt that the posters here would either call the mother a liar or far right

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭toothy

I'm not blaming anyone, you seem to be sub-consciously blaming immigrants before attributing culpability to the government though.

Slowly the mask seems to be slipping to show you are infact for tough rules on immigrants.

My question was simple arithmetic. In a situation with a restriced inelastic supply (housing), you're only choice is to restrict demand (external additional people).

Think of a very serious example, a lifeboat, you must restrict entrance to a lifeboat at all costs to it's carring capacity, if not there will be catastrophic outcomes for all.

• Advertisement

I would have a similar distatste for it but in a free and fair democracy it is necessary. Banning or excluding someone because they hold a different opinion to you is the definition of oppression and exactly how oppressive regimes function.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭US3

The amount of non Europeans standing in the local elections in staggering. I've never seen any polish candidates in Ireland. Amazing that they never needed to change Ireland to feel welcome or integrated

Are we incapable of making more lifeboats now too?

And what exactly are your plans for restricting migration? Or is it just gonna be more sloganeering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Did you hear about the recent murder of an eastern european man on the street for not speaking English?

Can't be easy being a 'non European'. If you run for elections you want to change Ireland, if you don't, I'm quite sure the same crowd would accuse you of not partaking.

For what it's worth there's been plenty of Polish candidates over the years. There's a substantial list in the paper shared below. Maybe you didn't notice them for some unmentionable reason?

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/07907184.2021.1929186

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Was there a large influx of "candidates" running who's no1 agenda was to get rid of the poles?

Also running in a democratic election in a republic isn't changing it, in fact it's the most integrated thing you can do.

Double post

No it doesn't, there are no explanations.

It just recounts that Nigerians and other Africans don't work, remain on welfare and persistently, continually, long term consuming welfare.

It speculates it may be discriminatory related but offers up no evidence of such; no evidence to show why they don't seem to want to work, don't seem to want to engage in training or upskilling, don't seem to want to found their own businesses like Polish or Korean or other countless immigrant nationalities.

It's quite a damming paper for what it includes and what is obvious by it's omission

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭twinytwo

• Advertisement

More lies. From that paper…

These results suggest that part of the excessively high
    unemployment observed among Africans can be accounted for by their risk of having
    been exposed to the asylum application system in Ireland, and the scarring effect of
    having been excluded from access to the labour market for an extended period.
    However, even accounting for the impact of the Asylum system, and controlling for a
    range of individual characteristics that can influence labour market outcomes, there
    nevertheless remains a substantial ‘unexplained’ African disadvantage, one that is
    particularly severe among women. This unexplained residual points to other aspects of
    the African experience in the labour market, such as racism and discrimination, that
    have been identified in previous research (Kingston et al, 2015; Michael, 2015), but
    whose impact cannot be investigated using Census data.

The paper identifies asylum restrictions as a likely cause of higher unemployment amongst Africans and other asylum. It then offers evidence, via other published research papers, on the effects of racism and discrimination.

Nor is there mention of Polish or Korean migrants setting up businesses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement