Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Judging by that performance it will soon be at the point where no one can ignore it.

I think Leo knew what the future looked like and the mess that was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Sure isn't it just sexist/misogynist to say she is useless? That was the previous defense anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

OK, maybe when you calm down you can tell me what actual part of my post you disagree with or what you think is dismissing Irish history?

Regardless of what way it happened, what way you interpret it, and whether it was driven by good things or bad things— it is simply a factual reality that you, me and any other person born on this island are a mongrel mixture of many ethnicities, including those that have lived on this island through violent conquest and not to mention the many Irish people who have ancestors who were not born or never even lived in Ireland. Obviously, go back far enough and we all have that ancestry.

Is there something there you find objectionable?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

It's your opinion but I think you'll find the majority of us are increasingly more and more dismissive of this globalist, we're all the same liberal agenda.

Thankfully common sense is prevailing. Daily Mail this morning with the latest poll. 79% which is landslide territory.

Don't come back slagging off the Daily Mail because it just doesn't suit your fixed agenda either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭suvigirl

It may be an offence but it is not a bar to claiming asylum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Again, I find myself asking, was there anything in my post you disagreed with? Like I don't really see what the "opinion" in my post is — it is objective fact.

On the contrary, I have never suggested nobody matters. Everybody matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Sure - if you actually reduce the numbers. Having more people come in on Visa's does not alleviate the strain on housing or services.

You do know how the visa system works right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭prunudo

these policies are ruining the country, simple as that. It has to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭prunudo

but at least with the work visa system you can control the flow based on how housing and services are coping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

That was delightful. Without a script McEntee looks like a student without homework. Funny how she has this innate need to get the last word even if it's to confirm her incompetence

And to think our media had championed this moron as future taoiseach not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭twinytwo

People wanting to leave their country for a better life etc is not our problem. Do you realise how many people that is globally? Should the EU accommodate them all?

If we did go down this route, how many extra visas would you be happy with? We already issue approx 30,000 a year.

Never said it was our problem. We do have problems with worker shortages though, so perhaps that should dictate how many visas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

There are 35,000+ construction workers on the Live Register, in the middle of a housing crisis!!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

A sycophant like Leo Varadker didn't wake up one morning and say to himself, "Maybe I'm not the best person for the job"

Fitzgerald has been controlling the purse strings from this European parliments NGO open borders complex to the FG parlimatery party for the past few years.

If you wonder where our "international obligations" came from, all you have to do is follow the money.

The political wing of the human trafficking industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

They have pushed STEM subjects as the be all and end all and because of this parents were pushing their kids into these rather than apprenticeships. Also what happened during the recession where lots of trades people were let go when construction collapsed and we seen a lot of them leaving the country to go to Australia and especially New Zealand after the earthquake there and then Covid. It just makes a trade job seem very flaky. Now in saying that I know carpenters, plumbers, electricians and painters who are flat out but who are concentrating on the smaller jobs that people want done around their house. The ones I spoke too say they could make great money on the sites but they are treated like crap by the bigger contractors and then there issues with getting paid and they said it is much easier, less hassle and they are out the door busy with the smaller jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

According to the UNHCR, the number of people forcibly displaced is 110 million, with 36 million considered refugees.

That number must then be added to the number of economic migrants seeking to come to Europe on false pretences. Goodness knows what that figure is.

We cannot have an open door to tens of millions of people; not just Ireland but Europe generally. It not only acts as a strain on resources but it also acts as a potential security risk, too.

You only need to look at the southern US border, where due to mass migration it is estimated that at least 2,500 people on the terrorist watchlist recently entered the country. That's only the number of people they caught, many more are estimated to have made it through undetected.

There is no reason to assume that mass migration to Europe doesn't carry the same security risks.

It's an insane policy.

I'm well aware how it works thanks.

I'm proposing we don't increase the numbers of visas issued, but instead prioritize applicants from the global south, to be next in line for positions which they are qualified, after Ireland and EU.

If nothing else it will increase the flow of remittances to countries which need it most.

I suspect many, whether they meet the criteria for asylum or not, would chose it as a preferable route than coming via asylum.

It could be monitored to see if it impacts asylum levels.

It's a zero cost, zero risk option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bloopy

Now that the UK has passed its Rwanda policy, I'd imagine the mumbers are going to increase by a huge margin.

The asylum system here has already collapsed. What happens next is anyone's guess, but I'd imagine it is not going to be pretty.

Anyone seeking asylum in the UK will now weigh up the option of potentially being shipped to Rwanda or skip across the Irish sea to Belfast, then down to the republic.

I am pretty sure Rwanda is going to be the last thing they want.

Dunno how the country is going to deal with it, but if people were worried about the far right so far, then you've not seen anything yet once this gets going proper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

She’s absolutely clueless and epitomises our current political system.

Elected because of her Daddy and not her achievements.

Useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Britain : "Let's get out of Europe because this parliament is full of open border fanatics "

EU : "we have to punish Britain, let's flood them with migrants"

Britain : "right so right so, let's implement a policy that will encourage these migrants to leave by themselves. How about Rwanda deportations . Just so happens most will move on to Ireland so the EU is just punishing themselves now

EU : " Oh well this parliment is almost up so it's someone else's problem now" .

<——— we are here

Ireland is the end of the road for a failed European policy on Migration and Brexit , both figuratively and geographicaly. History won't be kind to the members of this parliment and their cronies in domestic parliments across Europe.

As for the next EU parliment and Ireland. These migrants won't be going anywhere by themselves anymore. It will be forced deportations and a new reality in Europe that dosent want them.

There is going to be some serious horse trading with regards Irelands Corporation tax windfall and defence budget to deal with the crisis emerging here over the next few years.

I think the above is no surprise to most in the EU, but what is is the scale and impact of the crisis in Ireland so quickly. The whole thing fell to pieces with very little pressure so far with the country's services and the the immigration systems collapsing already.

Post edited by _Puma_ on

Thats an absolute disgrace. It should never happen that it is worth more to people not to work. Workers need to be incentivised in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

If 100,000 Irish people a year started arriving in Rwanda or Botswana without a penny in their pocket asking for housing and food, they'd be laughed out of the country.

Always with migration to the west, there's the assumption that the country of arrival must provide unlimited help but there is absolutely nothing back in return. Considering that western countries already fund nearly all Government spending in African countries supplemented with NGO's raising funds here too.

South Africans have had deadly riots because of migrants from poorer African countries taking lower paid employment from locals so even other Africans do not want this burden.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭engineerws

Yes. You have again dismissed our history "Regardless of what way it happened". Did it happy by collaboration, diplomacy, theft murder? These things are not regardless to many people, those things are important and live on in the Irish diaspora and indeed equivalently for people of different origin.

Just look at the recent stardust enquiry. Those people that lost their children did not say regardless of how it happened, they fought for justice for 43 years.

Let's agree to disagree. There are likely things in your life that are so important that history becomes irrelevant. We're very different in that regard and while I don't respect your viewpoint at all and find it abhorrent you have the right to a different viewpoint.

I think I've explained my position enough.

I saw that figure mentioned in another thread. I'd be interested to see a link again.

I remember having a look at the time and I think it was out of date and based on people's self-reported last employment.

So someone who did a few weeks on a construction site 20 years ago could be categorized as an unemployed construction worker.

But we do need to do far more to incentivize people to the construction industry. It's mind-boggling that apprentices are still paid well below minimum wage, amongst many other failures to increase supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

It only takes a handful of terrorists to sow destruction in a city.

You casual dismissal of terrorists entering the country as a consequence of uncontrolled migration, as if it's something we should just accept, is at the very least unjustifiable.

I'm going to ignore the predictable "far-right" epithet.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

Ah so if someone disagrees with your extremist opinions then they must be a Nazi. Got it.

The debate has moved on now so you are going to have to present facts based on reality as opposed to an open borders fantasy where everybody rocking up to this country with a fabricated sob story should be offered residency here.

We don't owe the world handouts and the more that arrive, the more the country that we all know will cease to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭crusd

You believe its never a possibility that someone may need false papers to escape a repressive situation? Very strange reality you inhabit

Each case should be judged on its merits

• Advertisement

I did present facts.

I gave quite a bit of detail about why that's far-right BS.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement