Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

Little over 2 months since reading or commenting on this thread, See the same posters who is throwing out the racist/far-right labels like confetti with absolutely no proper argument, solid points or solutions to the complete shitshow this government has let unfold over the last few years with our borders been inundated with tens of thousands of illegal/ bogus IPA seekers arriving here.

The same crowd (3 -4 posters, who'll I won't mention) here accused me off been racist, far-right, scare mongering or even the americanised word "boogeyman" phrases been labelled to my previous comments about people arriving here illegally. It's an attempt to silence those who are asking genuine, common-sense questions about this insanity unfolding around immigration. They'll rather attack the poster then the posts, answer a question with a million questions and continue to ask for data that's a google search away.
    Question our immigration polices = far-right, raising concerns about immigration = far-right , asking to secure the borders = far-right , it's near impossible to debate with the usual label makers here.

Sear amount of our taxes in the billions and public services been pumped into housing, health , social support ,law , education , appeals etc is eye watering to support this open border system that's in full flow. We've the softest of touches on immigration that's accommodated with the strongest of NGO lobbies shouting all sorts to continue and provide more to this madness. Our population of a mid sized European city trying to cater 1st world facilities to the 3rd world!
    This country is in complete shambles, in all my years I've never seen the most out of-depth, weak individuals in ministerial positions that are literally sitting on their hands with PR advisors scrambling around saving face.

Last referendum was an electoral litmus test that lead to Leo's early departure last month. Suspected Leo wouldn't of contented the next election whatever the referendum result but he'd no choice to resign early after that humiliation. 1/3 of Fine Gael TDs will not contest the coming election, Michael Ring FG TD begging that the party pull back away from left wing polices including the hate speech law. Seems & feels like a caretaker government at the moment until the coming election.

I've no confidence within our political parties. I've voted left-middle nearly all my life, voted for repeal and civil marriage etc..why uncontrolled immigration is so weaponised as to be racial topic by the left here is insane!

Sure enjoy the Late Late later, Leo will no doubtfully have a lovely send off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

You're right, if ROG rocked up to (town we are not allowed to mention) a few weeks ago it would have made no difference. The damage has already been done long ago. The time for open and honest conversations has long passed. ROG in particular seems to be one that never makes himself available for questioning. Governments should never see themselves as above people or too busy to talk to the little people. His actions have a real impact on peoples lives and withholding information and sneaking busloads of men in was never the right way to go about it

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rowantree18

I've just come home from town. Rarely go in these days. I went Arnotts - great shop. But outside, I was literally the only Irish person on Henry Street.

No matter where you stand on this - it's not going to end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Hard to know what to say. Mensa have lost 4 more very productive looking members of society to the courts system.

Ill wager it's another 4 free legal aid cases living in taxpayer funded accomodation. Oh the irony.

Where's my protest against accomodating them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Yeah like those electronic voting machines a few years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Why wouldn't it end well because there are people of different nationalities in the centre of the capital?

We've been told not to discuss this as charges are laid.

But either way it's not an argument. Speaking generally of course and not referring to a specific incident but Ireland having criminals does not mean that this tiny country can afford to- or even should- try to solve the worlds problems

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Another example of Justice Greally. Her and Judge Nolan are disgusting. A Slovakian national, Nicolas Horvath (28), was jailed for five and a half years for raping a teenage girl he plied with drink. The victim was 16.

Justice Melanie Greally's "there was an element of sexual exploitation in the crime and that he used alcohol to impair her judgment took into account a number of mitigating factors"… "the impact of his absence on his family and the difficulties for a foreign national in prison here…"

Also '"Man who raped girl"…….. It's all rather disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rowantree18

Why won't it end well?

Ok. I'll bite. I did a masters in Public Health/Epidemiology years ago. Very interesting modules on immigration/asylum seeking. One thing we learned from world respected experts was that initially, the newcomers are glad to be safe, fed, sheltered etc. As time passes, they look around and see a society they can't tap into and become increasingly disappointed and dissatisfied, then angry. Society increasingly becomes "us and them" and fractures. Their health determinants drop from whatever "class" they were from to the new "class" they find themselves in.

We are importing people we can't house or adequately integrate via courses, counselling and other supports. Nobody wants to discuss it openly. I hate racism and was distraught at the murder of that Croatian man who was working and contributing. But a lot of refugees require support we can't provide and it categorically is not going to end well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

I think eventually a tough economic period will hit. Benefits for asylum seekers and our own poorer classes will be slashed. Asylum seeker numbers will plummet and a lot of those here will leave.

Spot on. And I would also like to add my earlier post to that:

"Men who are packed like sardines into DP centres or sleeping rough in the streets all the while being told by NGOs how disgustingly racist Irish people are. The government have created an extremely dangerous and divisive environment. For everyone concerned"

If there is already an us and them feeling that's just adding more fuel to the fire. Dehumanising situations like refugees sleeping on streets or in cramped DP centres with nothing to do all day and no supports to integrate them, it wouldn't be a shock if someone were to have an axe to grind against Ireland someday.

There was an asylum seeker who stabbed a tourist at Dublin airport because their social welfare was cut. I do agree that we are heading towards some very difficult economic times. And there will be some very angry people when benefits are slashed, both Irish and asylum seekers

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Sunjava

Try IKEA or Blanch shopping centre, you'd feel like you're in the minority

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DaithiMa

Did they not put them in alternative accommodation on Patrick's Weekend and they decided that wasn't up to their standards and returned to tent city?

Where do you propose we find accommodation? Is it back to decimating our tourist industry and enriching hotel owners?

. But a lot of refugees require support we can't provide and it categorically is not going to end well.

Why 'cant' we? Maybe we should.

Time to get them off the streets, put in supports and don't let them believe it's them v us. Which is what seems to be the message various protests are sending

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

The magic money tree is not going to last forever. A time is coming where we won't be able to afford looking after our own citizens either.

I live close to Blanch, in there weekly. I have no idea why you think you're in a 'minority ' Its a shopping centre full of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Its the usual "I saw foreign people, Ireland is finished" post. You'd have to be racist to make such a post in my view.

• Advertisement

I don't believe that open hotels should be used to house anyone, have been saying it for years. Homeless families are being housed in hotels for years, it's disgusting.

They could be housed in a lot of places, if people didn't keep burning them down.

Didn't you read the post from @rowantree18?

"I did a masters in Public Health/Epidemiology years ago. Very interesting modules on immigration/asylum seeking. One thing we learned from world respected experts was that initially, the newcomers are glad to be safe, fed, sheltered etc. As time passes, they look around and see a society they can't tap into and become increasingly disappointed and dissatisfied, then angry. Society increasingly becomes "us and them" and fractures. Their health determinants drop from whatever "class" they were from to the new "class" they find themselves in."

I did. And if we know what the possible issues that come up are, then we can do something about them.

Our government should absolutely be doing more to integrate them. But will they. We know the answer

Yeah, the government have been a disgrace. They really have caused more issues then they solved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I find that very hard to believe.

I'd imagine it was given as a worst case scenario where people coming don't have access to jobs etc.

Who were these experts? Where was the course taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

For the worst offenders on hate crime/domestic terrorism I think the ideal punishment would be to have citizenship revoked and sent to Rwanda, or maybe left to take their chances in a small boat in the med.

It'll never happen but it would certainly be fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So now that the Brits seem to be getting the Rwanda plan working we can expect even more of these illegal economic migrants to make their way over here.

Martin sounded like he was blaming the British when all they are trying to do is cut the number crossing the channel.

It would be more in his line to tell that useless Minister for Justice to start doing her job.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

This country can afford the asylum seekers as they get processed. It's a question of accommodation capacity and not affordability. Which would not arise if the invasion of Ukraine had not led to 106,000 people needing accommodation here.

The government is also legally obligated to provide for people seeking international protection. Most people on here don't appear to grasp that. Or that all of this is temporary.

By all means chuck out the fakers and second country chancers. But I've more issues providing freebies for life for the inter generational non working welfare work shy than I do people fleeing the Taliban.

As for calling people right wing in this discussion piece. Proper right wing thinking would all be for slashing benefits anyway, especially domestically. Perhaps the only right wing bit they like is the xenophobia piece??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 jimmyrusseII

nobody likes being lied to and ignored by the power that be, but going around causing trouble isn't going to solve anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement