Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

And hardly any of the sizable number of Irish that emigrated during the recession are coming back by the looks of it.

I think in answer to the the question how long the trend is expected to continue, I doubt anyone is doing that calculation. This is just something that has happened, has been let slide. It is not always correct to assume that there's someone at the wheel working out how long a particular trend might continue and tacking action accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Ahwell

The "rest of world" column includes the Ukraine refugees. In the 12 months to the end of April 2022, there were 28,900 returning Irish nationals.

Yes from the chart, 2021, had quite a lot of returning Irish nationals possibly a backlog from the Covid years. But this seems to have stopped now and hardly any for the full year of 2022 according to the chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

No. It shows NET migration.

Not that they have stopped, just that less are leaving now than in the post crash years.

So now its leveling out as regards the Irish anyway..

ie. Similar amounts going and returning.

The CSO net migration figures are given from April to April, figures up to April 2023 aren't out yet, I not sure when that graph goes to...I don't think it's December 2022, because there would of been around 67,000 Ukraine refugees here by then.

Post edited by Ahwell on

• Advertisement

That's what I meant. We're not seeing the net inward migration of Irish nationals - after the substantial period of net outward migration of Irish nationals (shown on the chart) - that one otherwise might have expected. I would suspect lack of housing is the main cause here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm not sure there's much evidence of people leaving the country in large numbers because of the housing crisis. Anyone looking to buy a house in Ireland would probably be in a very good job and on a well paid salary - not necessarily fitting the bill of those who are 'forced' to emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭emo72

Really? Even well paid people are struggling to buy places. This country is going to hell in a handcart.

That's absolutely true but I'd be slow to make the connection between the housing crisis and emigration numbers. People move abroad for all sorts of reasons, many of them positive ones in fact - nor would this explain how around 30,000 Irish people are returning home every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

It is absolutely a large factor in many people’s decision to emigrate. People see no future here anymore - working hard, getting a good degree, putting the hours in at work, doing everything “right” doesn’t count for much in Ireland anymore. Might get you a pretty crappy apartment in a pretty crappy part of Dublin.

People are getting bent over a barrel here - there is nowhere to live. Searching on daft would bring you to tears.

So there are lots of people saying F this let’s go to Oz or Canada or what have you.

”But Australia and Canada have housing problems too!” I hear you say. Yeah well, so do we - if you’re gonna get bent over either way may as well do it somewhere nice. Somewhere that doesn’t seem to be getting worse every single day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭emo72

Basically people who work and excel, are being forced to leave to have a good quality life. And people who come here with nothing will be given somewhere to live, with government promised "own door accommodation". Tis fucked lads.

Almost half of Irish adults aged below the mid-30s have lived abroad for at least a year. Many go abroad for just a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,218 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I did.I left because my apartment was crap, I couldn't find a better one that I could afford and I was working in tech for a good wage.

I left because in Germany, in the very centre of a large city, I could rent a place 3-4 times bigger for the same price as my tiny dilapidated apartment in Kildare.

And I'm in my 40's. I didn't buy during the first boom and by the time I was thinking about it I was fecked. I'm lucky, I have a huge deposit but even with that I still have a better life in Germany. I might buy in Ireland at some point but right now I'm far better off in Germany. I have an amazing standard of living compared with Ireland.

I can see a lot of young people feeling the need to leave. When it can cost close to 1k to rent a bedroom in Dublin at the moment, I can see a lot of younger people leaving. Initially they'll want to leave for a few years and a lot will move back home because of family and friends. But a lot will stay away. They'll have far better lives than they could have in ireland.

I'd advise anyone in their 20's to do it. The only thing Ireland has over the rest of europe is family and friends.

I don't doubt your reasons for emigrating, but there's a risk of overstating what is actually happening re. emigration from Ireland. Less than 30,000 Irish people are leaving the country every year - that's well down on the period 2009 to around 2015.

If people feel they are being forced out, that's very real and unfortunate of course, but it could nearly be argued that we're a victim of our own success....the country is struggling to catch up with a booming economy, full employment etc. The infrastructure and services are having difficulty matching the economic growth of the last 3-4 years (and they've been caught totally on the hop with housing as we know).

Between 2013 to 2019 almost half of people in their mid-20s emigrated, but two-thirds of them have returned. Which would suggest that the majority are going for reasons other than the state of the housing market.

There isn't a massive amount leaving as I was trying to explain to emblematic. If there were the net figures would show this as per the graph.

Irish people are leaving and coming back all the time in fairly constant numbers now.

Most leave to work abroad for experience and to travel and while housing iissues at home are in the mix they are not the main contributing factor.

"I'm lucky, I have a huge deposit but even with that I still have a better life in Germany. I might buy in Ireland at some point but right now I'm far better off in Germany. I have an amazing standard of living compared with Ireland."

You hit the nail on the head there Grayson.

But your experience of a better life in Germany maybe similar for others, but for differing reasons.

While it may be a bigger apartment and less commuting for you, it is a different lifestyle and getting away from the same old for others . Others the sun sea, and no suspicious parents!

Others just need to get away pist Covid and do something completely different.

But not all are leaving for a house or a bigger apartment.

Its a better life people are going for, whatever that might mean.

Even whenever houses and jobs are available, people will still want to get away, for a few years at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Nick Henderson, CEO of the Irish Refugee Council believes that giving child benefits to families in Direct Provision would honor the vision the men and women of 1916 had for Ireland. The disrespect. "We use the phrase ‘Cherishing all the children equally’ which is from the Proclamation of 1916," Pearse did not mean foreign-born children who were brought here by their economic migrant parents claiming asylum in the furthest EU country on the Atlantic, breaking the likes of the Dub Reg III law, and of course the NGO lobbyists abusing our laws. Irish revolutionaries didn't die for demographic replacement through mass migration Keep in mind it's the Irish Refugee Council that coached illegal asylum seekers to sue the Irish state in court with the aim of forcing Ireland to house them. At the beginning of July the state was then facing 40 damage claims, so God only knows where that number is at now. Rookie numbers by an NGOs standard.

Their food, accommodation, electricity and heating, medical care, and transport costs are already provided to them by the state, which is not given to all Irish people. Benefits will act as a further magnet for and will encourage fraudulent asylum seekers to travel across multiple safe countries, or from mainland Europe. Facts or accuracy was not IRC's primary goal here of course. Disingenuous emotive sh*te was the aim.

Indeed, most people who are affected by the housing crisis seem to be doing things like continuing to live in the family home (which is a long way from ideal of course, but does leave them with disposable income and the chance to save).

That's not to underestimate the housing crisis either. It's probably the No.1 negative event impacting on the country at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Agreed, the complete and utter disrespect. Those tax-funded NGO's are still working the angle that the Irish are the world's peasants and so we are in no position to deny immigrants even if they are illegal.

Peter "The Irish peasant" Sutherland sold his soul to set this EU ball in motion years ago. But of course little innocent baby Peter was such a "devout catholic", ROFL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭enricoh

Roll up, roll up, get your slice of the pie quick folks. The corporate tax bonanza may be drying up so get in pronto!

I agree.. tbis is too much.

There are a small number that would be in direct provision getting the payment.. 2, 500 atm... but yes it would be a big incentive to people to come here rather than anywhere else.

Too much.

But its not happening anyway.

What is needed in the budget is to target an extra part of child benefit to all those families who would qualify with reduced means, to lift 40,000 children out of poverty all over the country as researched by ESRI.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

They left in the recession and returned when times got good. The problem with now is that there is nowhere to come back to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,218 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

But there's a difference. One is to get away because of wanting to experience something else the other is to avoid the bad things in your own country.

Yep. They left for job reasons and came back because jobs were good. People who leave because of crappy housing may come back if the situation changes but it probably won't.

I can't move back to Ireland now. If I got offered a job on the same wage my only option would be to rent one of the reit properties at a ridiculous rate. In the next year or two I might buy an apartment in a student town. I'll rent it out at a decent fair rent to students and I'll cover the mortgage in the summer months myself. I'll have to do that because otherwise I'd have nowhere to live if I move back to Ireland. I'll rent to students because I couldn't rent to people who need a home because in this market I couldn't bring myself to evict someone and potentially make them homeless.

The people who are moving out of Ireland won't be able to come back unless they make big sacrifices. They'll either have to move in with family/friends or they'll have to pay a disgusting amount of rent. Many will choose to stay away longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Ah yes, Peter "We Must Undermine National Homogeneity" Sutherland. Thankfully he's gone, but of course his acolyte Simon Coveney is still around.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Why is it needed?

People get enough handouts and if they can’t lift their child out of poverty as it is then handing them more money won’t work.

Why is throw money at it the answer to everything in this country yet it never works??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

We are flooding the country with people while not building houses.

In the past we had houses for people to come back to.

Where are they going to come back to in the future.

68 percent of irish adults under 35 are living at home, up from 45 percent since 2019 and 26 percent above EU average.

I can't find a consistent figure on the percentage of irish kids emigrating, let's say 2% which could be totally wrong.

70% of irish adults under 35 are living at home or another country.

While we continue to allow anyone in and are not building or increasing services.

I went to a few dentists last week and they all said they were not taking anyone new until next year, a friend of a friend got me sorted.

I mean it is absolutely ridiculous the state of the country, if I was 10 years younger I would be gone and the only return would be for visits to the family.

Not enough houses, not enough guards, prisons, doctors, nurses, teachers, schools etc, but let's keep cramming them in to tents on the streets etc no problem.

This won't affect irish people of course because we are told they don't take accommodation from irish people, they must live permanently in tents or hotels etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

And there's the reason why there won't be any sort of limits, Because them sneaky bastards that sit in the dail are coining it.

Was obvious from Day 1 that it's about money and greed.

I'm sure if someone had access to some private info within the golden circle you'd probably be able to link plenty of TD's or family members or friends to some sort of company housing Ukrainians and Asylum Seekers.

The problem is supply, not demand. Reducing demand doesn't make any sense in a modern society or economy - you may as well tell Irish people abroad who want to return home not to do so and they are not welcome (which might well be your opinion in fact).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

....and reducing population means a reduction in economic activities, increasing the likelihood of business closures, and rising unemployment.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement