Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving Jack Another Crack

Options
  • 01-06-2023 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi folks. This is my first (b)log of any kind so I’m interested to see where it goes. For background I started running about 12 years ago or so. Started from a low base (overweight, ex-smoker, regular drinker) so basically a couch-to-5k approach at the start. Except that what got me off the couch to aim for the 5k was that I had entered the Rotterdam marathon off the back of some encouragement from my brother who had a few marathons under his belt at that stage. I followed a 4 month beginners marathon plan with the aim of breaking 4 hours. Training went well in that I completed all the required runs but Jesus, did I suffer in Rotterdam. 5 hours+ after the race started I crossed the line, barely able to walk. That was my first real appreciation of how hard a marathon can be but thankfully it didn’t turn me off running!!

Since then, I’ve completed 12 or so marathons (Dublin x 4, Rotterdam x 2, Berlin, Limerick, Portumna Forest Marathon, Commemara and a virtual during Covid). I’ve completed probably 20+ half’s and other distances along the way and life got in the way of making any meaningful progression between marathons which hopefully will change and I'll get a bit of consistancy over the coming months.

It took me about 9 marathons until I managed to complete the 26.2 miles without having to walk at some stage towards the end. My training didn’t back up my ambition!!

I eventually broke 4 hours in Dublin a couple of years ago and had decided that I’d stick to shorter distances as what was the point of trying to break other arbitrary targets (Sub 3:45, Sub 3:30……).

That changed when I went up to support some friends running DCM last year. Standing at the corner of Stephen’s Green and seeing thousands of people starting out on their own personal journey changed my mind. People were running for loads of different reasons (charity, health (mental and physical), bucket list) but you don’t show up at the bag drop at Merrion Square on the last Sunday of October by accident. You’ve made sacrifices, you’ve put plans in place and you’ve probably become slightly obsessive as the day approaches. And for some reason I missed that!! I wanted what they had that morning setting out.

So, anyway, here I am, a DCM ’23 entrant and will be starting Jack Daniels “Plan A” (Volume 2) at the end of the month. I’ve used it a couple of times in the past (breaking 4 hours and setting a 1:44 half PB on the way) hence the title of the log and I really like the unstructured nature of the program. For those not familiar with it there are 2 quality session prescribed per week (Q1 and Q2) which are completed 3 to 4 days apart. The rest of the week you run easy miles to meet the required mileage for that given week. The Q-runs have a good mix of interval, tempo, marathon paced and LSRs mixed in depending on the phase of the training which keeps it interesting.

The paces you run during your training are based on your VDOT which is calculated based on your most recent race performance. My most recent race was St. Patrick’s weekend where I ran 39:17 for 5 miles which gives me a VDOT of 41. I will need to re-read the book but I seem to remember something about the VDOT changing as training progresses so I’ll need to keep an eye out on that.

I plan to peak at 50 miles for the max weeks of training.

I’m just coming back from 2 weeks of forced rest due to an overuse injury. I wasn’t following a plan and thankfully I haven’t been injured in the past save for some ITB issues when I was starting out so I overdid it a few weeks ago. Today’s run was my first time running three consecutive days so delighted to get back into it. No niggle during the run which I took easy.

One advantage of the rest is that I’ve started incorporating strength training twice a week in to my training. I’m using https://www.fleetfeet.com/strength-training for both the core and leg exercise which will hopefully stave off any future injuries.

In terms of foot ware I seemed to have missed the memo on bigger is better. I was running in Adidas Boston 9s and ordered the 10s without reading up on them. The 10’s have a lot more cushioning and are a bit clunkier. I was going to return them but gave them a chance. It hasn’t worked out in a “It’s me, not you” kinda way so I ordered Mizuno Wave Rider 25s as my next shoe. They aren’t working out for me either, so I decided to jump in on the carbon wave that looks to have taken over and got a pair of Adidas Adios Pro 2 on sale which I am very happy with. I’ve not gone far in them so we’ll see how I get on as the runs get longer but so far so good.

Throughout the next couple of months I was planning on sharing the Garmin workout file of the 2 Quality sessions for the upcoming week so that people can upload them on to their Garmin’s to use for their own training if they were planning on using Plan A. The sessions can get a bit convoluted and after 2 hours of running you may not remember what you were meant to do next!!!

Unfortunately I can’t upload the .json file on Boards so if anyone has a suggestion as to how I can share it please let me know. There may be no demand for it but for folks planning on using the plan this may save them some time.

If you follow the guidance below you will be able to upload .json files on to your Garmin Connect homepage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PBuf_UeGmk

Finally, the motivation for me starting the log is to keep my self honest, to get input/advice on progress and to hopefully give back in some way to a forum that I have taken a lot from over the years. (I’ve been around long enough to have one of these in my running drawer!!)

Okay, that’s the background, let’s get logging!!!

Thursday, June 1st

Distance: 6.22 miles

Average pace: 9:24min/miles

Easy paced run keeping an eye on pace as wanted to make sure the hamstring didn’t give any trouble. Great to start getting the distance back to where it needs to be.

Today I was mostly listening to 90’s hip-hop classics (Warren G & Nate Dogg, Montell Jordan, DMX…..)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

Best of luck with it!

Haven't seen that Tee in a long time :-) I still have the singlet mind, just hasn't fit for some time!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Class, another log to keep an eye on, I can feel the excitement from the post, a long and winding road ahead. Good luck and here's to success and triumph!

*Find a pair of daily trainers that suit, keep the carbons for racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dev1234

Thanks M22!!

Good suggestion on the daily trainers, I'll have another look and see what's out there.

I'll use the Adios for some of my long runs, especially the marathon pace sessions, to make sure there are no issues going a bit longer in them prior to October.

Thanks again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Used to have one of those tee shirts myself. I've done some Jack Daniels training (not for marathon though). You're right that he says VDOT may increase slightly during the training but always good to start relatively conservatively, especially if you have a history of some difficulty completing, as you say above. Be sure to run those non-Q days nice and easy, as prescribed, it's easy to get into the habit of doing that easy and recovery stuff a bit too hard.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the input Murph.

I'm definitely a fan of running the hard days hard and the easy days easy.

The Easy pace with the VDOT can seem overly easy but you definitely need a break from the quicker stuff.

Thanks again!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Best of luck. Great positive enthusiasm and confidence, fantastic to see.

Have you a target in mind then for DCM?

Sorry M22, I forgot to ask, what's the thinking behind keeping the carbons for racing? To get more of a boost when their used?

Thanks

Thanks Lazare!! Having just come back from a hamstring niggle and knowing what's ahead with Plan A the confidence has taken a bit of a knock!!

Had I not had to take the last couple of weeks off I would have been hoping for sub-4 and a new pb.

On the other hand maybe taking a few weeks off before starting the marathon training cycle was just what I needed.

Leading up to the injury I was running 4-5 times a week with a mix of 8 x 400m intervals, 20 min tempo, hill repeats and fartlek runs as well as easy runs (bit of training session bingo there!!). Never more than 2 quality sessions a week. I was up to 2 hour long runs so felt I was on the right track.

Hopefully I can get back to where I was and ease in to the marathon training in a couple of weeks.

I'll see his the Plan A quality sessions go as the training progresses as I should get a read on how challenging they are for my VDOT. I'll also run a half closer to DCM to gauge where I'm at in terms of a DCM target.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Yep, let them out of the box race day to get full value. My experience is they loose their spring very quickly, so if your running 700 to 1000 miles in a marathon block it will get expensive... although I sometimes find myself reaching for them( I have vaporflys and alphaflys from black Friday sales) when fatigue sets in during a block and I need something to help me through a session or steady long run.

That said if you like them and they last or if you feel they reduce impact and potential injury go for it. Certainly can't hurt 👍

I seem to remember reading something about the Adios being more durable than their Nike counterparts. Not sure how true that is but I'll be keeping an eye on the Adios 3s during the summer to see if there is a price drop. They've come down a couple of quid from their €250 rrp at launch. Will probably freshen up the footware a couple of weeks out from DCM.

• Advertisement

A bit of catching up to do here!!! Life got in the way a bit last week so while I was able to get some runs in, I wasn’t able to get online.

Nothing major to report, just trying to keep the mileage going with slow runs. I plan on picking it up tomorrow with some intervals but will keep on eye on the hamstring and pull back if needed.

Average heart rate was higher than I would have thought for the given pace on a couple of the runs which I’m putting down to the midday heat we’ve been enjoying in recent days.

Saturday, June 3rd  

Distance: 4.03 miles

Average pace: 9:53min/miles

Average heart rate: 157 bpm

Pushing a buggy for this one so took it easy enough. The higher heart rate was due to the buggy and the heat

Sunday, June 4th

Distance: 5.01 miles

Average pace: 9:28min/miles

Average heart rate: 156 bpm

Another warm one with a bit of a hill in the middle hence the higher heart rate. It’s a nice loop with a fast finish so great to get it done on a Sunday afternoon.

Monday, June 5th  

Distance: 5.23 miles

Average pace: 9:42min/miles

Average heart rate: 159 bpm

Warm again and slightly miscalculated my distance hence the random 5.23 miles – I tend to try and keep it to whole number where possible!!

Tuesday, June 6th  

Distance: 4.35 miles

Average pace: 10:56min/miles

Average heart rate: 138 bpm

A hilly loop run with a few from the local running group. There’s a broad range of abilities in the group which is great depending on what you are in the mood for. I was happy to take it easy and catch up with a few people I hadn’t seen in a while.

Thursday, June 8th  

Distance: 4.01 miles

Average pace: 8:48min/miles

Average heart rate: 149 bpm

Nothing special to report – standard enough run with the heart rate back to where it should be.

Saturday, June 10th  

Distance: 9.14 miles

Average pace: 9:34min/miles

Average heart rate: 162 bpm

First medium length run for a while so delighted to get this done pain free and without struggling towards the end. I’ll be looking to take it up to 10 – 11 miles this weekend in preparation for the start of marathon training.

Total for the week: 22.73 miles.

Not a huge amount of miles and I definitely missed a day that was out of my control. Will look for more consistency this week with some quality runs back in the mix.

Monday, June 12th  

Average pace: 9:28min/miles

Average heart rate: 144 bpm

Nothing of note on this run except that it’s nice to start the week off with a run.

I’m mostly listening to an audiobook on artificial intelligence called “AIQ”. With AI being all over the news and the high probability that not only will it take my job but also lead to our imminent destruction I’m trying to stay informed on it so that when a T-1000 shows up at my door I may be viewed as sympathetic to their cause!!!!

For anyone not taking advantage of it I would recommend using the BorrowBox app that allows you to check out both ebooks and audio books from your local library to use on your phone. All you need is a library card which is free and takes a couple of minutes to get.

Prior to the AI book that I’m listening to now I got the full history of the Apollo space program via the “Apollo” audio book, all 14 hours of it!!! I’d highly recommend it if you have even a passing interest in it!!

Finally got back to a bit of quality training yesterday. Did a handy 5 mile run on Tuesday and an interval session yesterday.

Tuesday, June 13th - Easy run

Distance: 5.01 miles

Average pace: 9:36min/miles

Average heart rate: 148 bpm

Wednesday, June 14th - Intervals

Distance: 4.16 miles

Average pace: 8:35min/miles

Average heart rate: 164 bpm

Coming back from injury I wasn’t sure what to expect from this session. I was planning on doing 8 x 0.25 mile intervals with 30s recovery walks. I was thinking somewhere around 7.45min/mile pace for the intervals and up it if the first couple felt too easy. However, my plan went sideways as I selected a pre-programmed training session on the Garmin that I must have put in a while back. That interval program had 12 intervals with the expected pace to be between 7.10 and 7.20min/miles. So in order to stop the watch beeping at me and wrecking my head I looked to keep it within the specified pace band and I only figured out that there were 12 intervals towards the end. I’d lost count but knew I had done more than 8 so I called it quits at what turned out to be 11 intervals as I felt I could have probably done 1 maybe 2 more and I didn’t want to push it.

My splits for the 0.25 miles were:

1:52s

1:50s

1:49s

1:50s

1:48s

1:49

1:46

I was being pursued by a slow-moving tractor for the last one hence the slightly faster pace.

All in all, I was delighted to get the session under my belt. I did some leg strength training when I got home as I want to make sure that even though the hamstring isn’t causing any issues now it doesn’t mean it won’t when the mileage and quality of the runs increases in the coming weeks. I will be taking today off to recover and will look to get out for a 10 mile easy run tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great intro, nothing quite beats that feeling on the morning of a Marathon, as you say knowing all the sacrifices & hard work you have put into your training!

Very best of luck with your training block, I shall follow with interest😊

Thanks Lf!!

Life continued to get in the way a bit last week, so I managed to get some short runs in, nothing worth logging here.

More importantly, marathon training started yesterday. To be honest I wasn’t feeling it as my hamstring was giving me a bit of gyp after the interval session a few weeks ago. Looking back, I did too many intervals at too fast a pace for where I was at. Lesson learned. Loads of foam rolling, stretching and strength training since then got me in to the best shape I could be starting out yesterday.

Monday, June 26th

Week 1 Q1 Workout – 2 hours or 25% of week’s total mileage, whichever is less

I’ve chosen a peak mileage of 50 miles for this training cycle and the plan calls out a total mileage for this week of 0.8 of this, so 40 miles in total. 25% of this is 10 miles so that’s what I put in front of me. In previous training cycles I have typically gone for the upper end of the mileage and would have gone with the 2 hour run but given that I want to protect the hamstring I went with the 10 mile run.

I also went with a relatively slow pace of 10min/miles again to see how the hamstring reacted. My splits and HR are below (any tips on how to manage the size of the inserted image would be greatly appreciated!!!)

Very happy with the consistent pacing and keeping myself in check. HR remained low as well and I felt good at the end. The hamstring behaved itself more or less. Slight niggle but nothing that forced me to turn back or to contemplate walking.

Great to get started but unsure at this stage as to how the hamstring will react. I may look at dialling back the peak mileage for this week to the early 30s as opposed to ramping from very little weekly mileage up to 40. I may also look at my VDOT and knock a point or 2 of that as I would rather be exerting myself at 70-80% and make sure I give the hamstring every chance as opposed to getting up to 90%+ and have to take a break. The Q2 workout for this week is “Sets of 4 mins hard with 3 min recovery jogs to total 8% of week’s milage or 10k whichever is less”. I need to look up how Daniel’s defines hard as there are clear pace targets for Interval (I), Tempo (T), Marathon (M) and Easy (E) paced runs.

Today I was mostly listening to a Spotify playlist comprising Pearl Jam, U2, Bloc Party, The Cure…..

Tuesday, June 27th

Average pace: 9:59min/miles

Average heart rate: 144 bpm

Easy paced run after yesterday’s Q-session. Hamstring was fine and again I kept the pace slow and heart rate low. Weather was pretty crap given the sun we’ve had over the last couple of weeks so glad to get it done. I’ll get a similar distance run in tomorrow and complete a round of strength training afterwards to make sure I keep on top of that.

Today I was mostly struggling to listen to my Spotify playlist as one of the earpieces in my Aftershokz headphones seems to have come loose and was providing what sounded like extra cowbell throughout the run!!

Been a while since I've managed to update this - work got busy and I was away for a week so it just slipped away from me!!

Anyways, training is going well. I'm hitting both weekly Quality workouts and filling in as much easy running as possible in between. I'm not hitting the total volume of miles per week per the plan but plan to start doing that from this week on. In order to do that I'm going to have to include a Medium Length Run of 8-10 miles each week to fit it all in. I’ve also taking marathon2022 advice and hid the Adios Pro’s under the stairs. I’ve actually gone back to the Waveriders and they have grown on me. Not sure if they needed to be broken in but I’d happily get another pair such is the change!! I use an old pair of Bostons as well to mix it up.

In relation to training nothing of real interest in Week 2 so I'm going to skip to week 3. I’m also leaving out the easy paced runs as nothing much happens there, I’m keeping them in the 10mon/mile range so nothing too exciting!!

Thursday, July 13th

Week 3 Q1 Workout – 2 miles Easy pace + 5 x (5-6 min Temp pace with 1 min rests) + 1 hour Easy pace

I was on holiday for this so wasn’t sure how I would get it done. Fortunately, there were 2 perfectly manicured soccer pitches beside where I was staying so I used those for the Tempo part. I remember talking to a couple of lads from Waterford after the Rotterdam marathon a few years ago who had just gone sub 3. Their one word of advice was to do speed training on a soft surfaces (gravel, trail, grass etc.) because if you can keep your pace on those surfaces it will come easier to you on tarmac and concrete. I’m thinking also less impactful on the legs.

I’ve thrown up my pace chart below and was very happy with keeping pace throughout the tempo sections. Target pace for the Tempo sections was 8min/mile and with this training plan I always tend towards the upper end when a tolerance is provided so each tempo section was 6 minutes. I felt relatively strong after the hour of Easy pace as well which was great.

Heart rate steadily increased through the Tempo sessions which I would have expected. I was trending upwards towards the end of the run so maybe not as fresh as I thought!!

Overall, happy to get it done!!

Sunday, July 16th

Week 3 Q2 Workout Sets of 1,000m, 1,200m or miles at Interval pace with 3, 4 or mins recovery jogs to total lesser of 6% of weekly mileage and 8k

Given that my weekly mileage is a bit all over the shop decided to do 6 x 1,000m repeats at around 7.30min/mile pace.

Splits are below so again happy to come in at or below the 7.30min/mile pace across the board. Was feeling on the last one and could have managed 1 maybe 2 more so I think I got the level of effort right for this session.

Heart rate steadily increased through the session as well.

Tuesday, July 18th

With work commitments I had to switch this week’s Quality training sessions around which resulted in completing the same interval session within the 48 hours or so. Not ideal but I’m trying to be a bit more flexible with my training and not get too pedantic about it.

Week 4 Q1 Workout Sets of 1,000m, 1,200m or miles at Interval pace with 3, 4 or mins recovery jogs to total lesser of 6% of weekly mileage and 8k

Slightly quicker with these intervals compared to the last session but this session was on more of a level route.

Heart rate slightly elevated but to be expected with the slightly increased pace:

Again, wasn’t completely dying by the end but felt I got the level of effort right.

Week 4 Q2 2.5 hours or 25% of week’s total mileage, whichever is less

Again, with my weekly milage not being where it is I decided to go for 14 miles on this one. Given that I’m a couple of weeks into a marathon training program I’m thinking 14 miles is where I should be at this stage. I was planning on keeping the pace around the 10min/mile mark but speed up a bit towards the end – nothing major but I need to keep an eye on it

I've more to log so will come back soon to get back up to speed and will hopefully be in a position to stay on top of the log as opposed to updating it on a monthly basis!!!

Thanks if you have made it this far!!

Monday, July 24th

The Q1 session for this week was a mix of Easy and Tempo paced running.

Week 5 Q1 Workout: 2 miles Easy pace + 2 (10 – 12 mins at Tempo pace) + 1 hour Easy pace

I like these runs as there is a mix of quality in there with time on fatigued feet at the end. I covered 11.5 miles give our take for this run with 6 of these miles in that last hour. Given that the 6 miles were after 24 mins of Tempo running I always think I am getting more bang from my buck for those 6 miles and in the run feels more like a 13-14 mile run with the injection of the Temp sections.

My pace distribution is below and again the target for the Tempo sections was to keep the pace somewhere between 7.50 – 8 min/miles which I managed relatively easily.

HR below shows the impact of the two 12 minute Tempo sections. I was probably 10-15 min/mile too quick for the last hour so again will look to keep it around the 10min/mile mark but all in all a great run to tick off the list.

Saturday, July 29th

Week 5 Q2 Workout: 2 miles Easy pace + Sets of 5 min hard with 3 to 5 min jog to total 10k or 8% of weeks mileage whichever was less

I seem to remember the “Hard” pace being the same as the interval pace but the difference being that when Jack Daniels prescribes Hard it is usually with a time commitment, not a distance. I could be completely making that up but that’s what I went for for this session!!

I was aiming to maintain 7.30min/mile pace for each 5 minute interval and again leaning towards the more challenging end of the session I set the Garmin for 3 minute rests between intervals which I jogged per the above.

Splits are below. The first one came in at 7.31min/mile, the middle 4 came within +/- 1 second/mile of the 7.25min/mile below and the last effort was 7.21min/mile. It was 5 minutes out a road, jog for 3 minutes then run back 5 minutes. Weather was shi!te and there was a cross-breeze that was swirling so delighted to stay on pace for the 6 intervals. Felt it towards the end and again probably could ha managed another 1-2 so I think I’ve got the pace right for this session.

Heart rate below shows the increasing rate as the session progresses. Some variation in HR during each interval but again I was trying to manage the swirling wind and maintain effort so some variation is to be expected. Also found myself losing a bit of concentration in the last interval as my mind wandered so needed to up the pace towards the end to ensure I got in under the 7.30min/mile.

One thing I’m trying to work on is cadence. During my easy paced runs I’m somewhere around 160 steps/minute but for the quicker intervals I’m trying to target 180 steps/minute as I again I seem to remember reading up that this was optimal in terms of reducing injury, increasing efficiency and keeping heart rate down. I’ve set on of the data windows on my Garmin to show cadence to help keep on track. It’s a work in progress as can be seen below but at least I'm trending in the right direction.

Tuesday, August 1st  

Week 6 Q1 Workout: 2 miles Easy pace + 6 x 6 mins @ Tempo with 1 min recoveries + 2 miles Easy

IIRC the weather was pretty rough for this session. My splits were all over the place but again I did the session with 6 mins out a road, rest, then 6 mins back so there was a helping and hindering wind for each alternate tempo section.

I was targeting between 7.50 and 8min/miles. I was able to get them under that while not completely wrecking myself so I may look at revising my VDOT upward as I have 5 weeks under my belt now of internal and tempo sessions.

Friday, August 4th   

Week 6 Q2 Workout: Workout Sets of 1,000m, 1,200m or miles at Interval pace with 3, 4 or mins recovery jogs to total lesser of 8% of weekly mileage and 10k

This was the last Interval session and closes out Phase 2 of Plan A.  AS for the previous sessions I went with 1,000m intervals and was aiming for 7.30min/mile pace. The difference with the final session from the previous ones is that more intervals are prescribes so I upped it from 6 to 8. Pace was pretty consistent throughout so great to get it done and glad to see the back of the interval sessions!!

I rounded out the week with 3 easy runs (two 7 milers and a 5 miler) for a total weekly mileage of 36 miles. The plan calls out for 35 so managed to hit that as well to close out a good week.

Wednesday August 9th

Week 7 Q2 Workout: : 2 miles Easy pace + 4 x 12min @ Tempo with 2 min recoveries + 2 miles Easy

With outside commitments I had to switch this week’s training sessions around. I’d been out the Bank Holiday Sunday for a few drinks for the first time in a long time and I was still feeling the effects on Wednesday morning when I kicked in to this. I wasn’t feeling it at all to be honest and all the tempo running was completed running around the local football pitch which can get a bit monotonous. I stuck with it but during the first tempo session I was tempted to just run back to the car and call it a day. Thankfully I didn’t and the head cleared by the time the second tempo session closed out.

One thing that kept me going was thinking back to DCM ’18 when I broke 4 hours. I used Plan A back then and hit all the training sessions. Below are my splits for the last 10 miles or so.

I managed a negative split on the day so remembering that you get out of running what you put in kept me from throwing in the towel.

Pace was consistent for the 4 tempo sections with an average of probably 7.45min/mile so I’m going to keep all my tempo runs in around this from now on.

Saturday August 12th

Week 7 Q1 Workout: 2.5 hours or 25% of week’s total mileage, whichever is less

I run with a group when I can and they are up to around 16-17 miles for their long run so I joined them on Saturday morning for a rain soaked easy 17 miles. I felt it towards the end but kept the pace at 9.50 – 10min/miles throughout so great to get an almost 3 hour run under the belt.

I filled out the week with an easy 3 miler, 7 miler and 6 miler for 44 miles in total for the week. The plan called out 50 miles for this week but to achieve that would have required 6 consecutive days of a 3miler, 11 miles (Q2 tempo session) 7 miles, 6 miles, 17 miles and 6 miles which I felt was too much to take on balancing injury risk versus benefit of an easy 6 miler. My mistake was not upping the 3 miler earlier in the week to at least 6 and adding a mile or two to the 6 and 7 milers. Looking back I was caught for time so 3 was all I could squeeze in.

I’ve also entered the Enfield ¾ marathon which I’ve used as a training run previously as later in the plan there is a 2 mile easy + 15 mile planned marathon pace + 2 mile easy and Enfield is perfect timing for that.

So far, I'm very happy with how the training is going and confidence is growing as I tick off each training session!!

Advertisement