Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempting to reduce magazine capacity allowances

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mud dog

This happen to me on my renewal of my 338 ,which is restricted so I had to ring the chief supers Office and tell them that it's been 10.round mag for the last 3 years and nothing on my end has change and I need it changed back or removed from licence! I was told it was a error like a default setting ! Don't know if that's horse **** and they are chance their arm at reducing mag capacity on the Qt ! But had it sorted !

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭TheEngineer1

So did you get them to change it to 11 rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mud dog

Just had it removed ! Doesn't state it on it now !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

This is a new thing on pulse for the past few months, it is to record the magazine capacity only, ie not including the chamber.

And pulse by default sets it to 1, hence the issues with licences marked down to 1 on renewals.

Apparently the FCA1 is being updated with a magazine capacity question on it under firearm details also, but when that will happen I dunno.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭garrettod

Intentional, or not, I see this causing problems -

First, the licence will state X round capacity, for info.

Then, it'll evolve into your limit, and also, it'll be used as a basis to reduce the ammunition allowance.

Substitutions will then have to be like for like, incl. magazine capacity.

By the time they've finished, anything over 5 rounds will be restricted, and you'll be doing a special course etc. to apply for a ten round 22 mag.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

Thats why anyone who receives such a restriction on their licence should immediately ring and get it removed. Same as anyone who gets their ammo figure downsized.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

10 round magazine is the limit non-restricted rimfires. It doesn't exclude the chamber.

4. (1) Firearms other than those to which subparagraph (2) relates are declared to be restricted firearms for the purposes of the Act:

(2) This subparagraph relates to the following firearms:

(c) the following long firearms (not being assault rifles or bullpup rifles):

(ii) single-shot, repeating or semi-automatic rim-fire firearms designed to fire rim-fire percussion ammunition and with a magazine having a capacity of not more than 10 rounds,

People are only receiving the "restriction" if that's the capacity of the firearm applied for.

If somebody applies for and U/O shotgun, it will presumably say Capacity = 2. Without that, the max capacity was technically 3 rounds.

If people are applying for 10-shot 22lrs, it will say 10 rounds. The only situation where it might be an issue is people who want to by some aftermarket mag to increase capacity. Eg My Ruger American has a capacity of 4, but I might buy a 10-shot mag for it at a later date.

So if I was asked what the maximum capacity for that rifle is. My answer would 10 rounds. That is the maximum available for that model (afaik). The fact I don't own a 10-round mag doesn't change that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I got a renewal approved recently for a 22lr.

Checked the licence this morning and my maximum capacity is 8 rounds ( would never have even noticed except for this thread).

I currently have 2 five round mags and a ten shot. I must talk to CZ about purchasing one of their 8 shot magazines.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd be talking to the Gardai and getting the licence changed to 10 rounds rather than looking for an 8 shot magazine.

• Advertisement

That's exactly what I intend to do.

I assume that there isn't even an 8 shot mag available.

What I was trying to point out(badly) is the stupidity of giving me an 8 shot allowance, when no such magazine exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭garrettod

You need to think about the conversation, in advance... What if they tell you to plug a 10 round mag, to reduce it to 8 rounds, for example?

Ammo reductions, magazine limits etc. This is all going from bad to worse - and I've yet to be convinced that any of the representative organisations are doing much of anything, to stand up for us.

Meanwhile, the criminals continue to do whatever the ***k they want.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

@freddieot Interesting if someone was told to have CCTV installed before being given a restricted licence, just as an example. Would that requirement be then still legally valid if not included on the grant letter or the licence. It would be a condition beyond the morm and not listed anywhere

Providing of course,it isn't a level of security that can be justified and not to the point of vexation. IOW wants real-time monitoring of CCTV and a moat filled with sharks, with laser beams mounted on their heads, and of course, it is being applied to all restricted owners in a district.

As for the mag capacity issue on rifles.Beats me why,unless you actually do have a single shot or double rifle.Why everyone isn't just saying on their applications,or queries ten shots straight away,as most rifles nowadays with detachable mags are a ten shot from the factory by default.Doesn't say anywhere that you have to possess a ten-shot mag for the rifle.Just whats its max legal/unrestricted or restricted capacity?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Not true, people are receiving licences with a reduction from what they had, and are having to contact them to have it changed, an example is a friend who had his bolt action rifle reduced to 5 rounds from 10, they changed it back to ten when he complained

Im don’t follow which part of my post that makes untrue? We are aware it’s happen, I gave a means to clarify at the start rather than after the fact.

This part..

'People are only receiving the "restriction" if that's the capacity of the firearm applied for.'

People are receiving the 'restriction' bringing the fro 10 round mags (which they had for years) down to 5 round mags

Did you see this part: "If people are applying for 10-shot [rifles], it will say 10 rounds."

I'd imagine that many, if not everyone, being restricted are not including their mag capacity on the form. Leaving it up to the default, or whatever is on the system. It's understandable, as there was never a need to before.

The example I gave was my Ruger American (the standard one, not the AICS mag one). If anybody looked up that rifle online, all the specs available from Ruger would say it's a 4 round. If I left it blank, it may be limited to 4 rounds and I understand their logic. So if it were me, I'd be requesting 10 rounds from the get go.

People are receiving the 'restriction' bringing the fro 10 round mags (which they had for years) down to 5 round mags

I'm open to correction, but I don't believe there was ever any record or approval for 10-round mags. People could just own them, legally, if they had an appropriate license. Now seems like a good time to get them on record.

"I'd imagine that many, if not everyone, being restricted are not including their mag capacity on the form. Leaving it up to the default, or whatever is on the system. It's understandable, as there was never a need to before."

There was no indication on the renewal form I received as to the magazine capacity for my rifle, nor was there anywhere to input a "requested capacity", unless you were to include it on a separate letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭dalalada

What about pistols they can take ten technically but limited to five

There's a S.I. that allows for the plugging of pistol magazines so that they can only hold 5 rounds.

If you've a 10 round magazine for your pistol, you best get plugging (if you'll pardon the pun 😁).

• Advertisement

My question had nothing to do with a person plugging or having the legal limit in the magazine. I am pretty sure everyone who values their licences has that done.

If asked on future FCA forms what the mag capacity of your pistol mag is, is it 5 or 10? Saying 5 would be a lie as i don’t know any magazine that’s made to 5 there mostly 10. Unless a plugged mag is considered a new mag according to that SI.

Apparently the form is being updated. I would literally just write on the form at this stage.

For an unrestricted pistol the capacity needs to be 5 or less. Whether that’s original or modified capacity is irrelevant.

Having a pistol mag with capacity of 10 is a breach of the license* so definitely don’t put that down.

*Unless it’s a restricted license obviously.

Sums that up. Thanks for answering.

Can see how people will over look how important this will be for them in future. Dropping your our magazine capacity down without releasing and then your ammo being reduced by the PTB.

Can see how they have any cause to reduce ammo limits.

If I’m target shooting. I’ll be sending X rounds down range. Whether that’s via a 10 round mag or a 3 round mag is not going to drastically affect my total.

I could use a single shot sled and I’d still send the same number of rounds.

This is what we’re dealing with. Throw in moderator refusals and you got a party

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I put in a sub at the start of May. A newer variant of the rifle I had, so same make model and calibre, just a different serial number.

There was no contact from the gardai during the processing but in their wisdom they decided my magazine fed rifle should now be single shot. 🤦‍♂️

A swift phone call to them is required methinks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I applied for a pistol in May. Received licence with no reduction in round allowances.

Applied for and received 1000.

Edit. Just realised I’ve posted about ammo in possession rather than mag capacity. Apologies.

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Got my Glock renewed recently.

Had a mag capacity of 18 down.[So they counted for a loaded chamber]. However, got on to the chief's office about it to inform them that the default for a restricted CF handgun is 20, because, legislation both Irish& EU and to put on notice that some of my mags have a plus 3 conversion to bring them up to mag capacity of 20 max and [b] I don't carry on a loaded chamber.

The best thing we can all do is if you have a detachable mag-loaded rifle, CF or rim is set this question to a default answer of 10.

Update.27/6.

Got a letter from them today to state they will reissue the liscense in due course.

Post edited by Grizzly 45 on

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Advertisement