Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Aerial installation and ethernet wiring service

• 02-06-2023 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Can anyone recommend someone who does both of these? I need a bedroom to be wired with ethernet and TV aerial connections but it's a timber frame house so I'm not sure of the feasibility. Other rooms already have sockets for both. Appreciate any input?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cannot help you with a recommended installer but as a cheaper and less intrusive alternative to the ethernet wiring you could use a powerline adapter kit assuming your using it to connect it from your ISP router.

You just plug one adapter into the power socket next to your router and connect it to one of the ethernet ports with a short cat6 cable and then connect the other into a socket in the bedroom near your TV or ethernet device. You then pair both adapters to your router using the instructions provided. I have this setup in my home office upstairs that is not prewired for internet, for the last number of years and it works well while being tidy and out of sight. Saved having to drill holes and run cables. If you buy the passthrough version of powerline adapter kit then it allows you to continue using the wall socket for other devices even with the adapter plugged in.

These are what I have but prices seem to have gone back up a good bit since I bought them years ago on special offer:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gerard20202020

Thanks bazz, I'll probably end up going that route alright. I already have a set of power line adapters and they've worked good in the past. It would just be nice to get the whole house hardwired if it was possible.

Advertisement