Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contact details for deaf people?

Options
  • 02-06-2023 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm having a very frustrating time with my mortgage being transferred from KBC to BoI. There's been an error on behalf of the banks, which I need to get fixed. However, I'm deaf and cannot use the 'phone, and I keep being told I need to phone someone to rectify the error. This is beyond frustrating and really unacceptable. Is there a direct email contact I could use to fix this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi Cat, sorry to hear this.

Please visit your local Branch with Photo ID and my colleague will be happy to assist you.

Branches open 10AM Tuesday. Thanks, Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This isn't a good answer. Are your colleagues at the branch trained in Irish Sign Language or lip reading or other ways of communicating with deaf people? I suspect they're not, so suggesting that the customer visits the branch is setting them up for disappointment and frustration. The bank has a legal obligation to provide any 'reasonable accommodation' required by a customer with a disability. Given that all bank staff have access to email, a customer request for an email contact address as an alternative to phone is very reasonable.

You might want to review this and come up with a better response to the customer.

Hi there,

Our Vulnerable Customer Unit (VCU) supports and guides staff in our Branches across the country to help our customers with vulnerable customer issues such as hearing loss.

We recommend that you visit your local branch with Photo ID and my colleague will be happy to help. Our Branches open 10AM on Tuesday. Thanks, Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hi there, we do have a Vulnerable Customer Unit in place. Our staff communicates with this unit to help and support our customers. Thanks, Anna

• Advertisement

Hi Cat, can you please confirm what Branch your account is linked to as I would like to make them aware of the situation ? Thanks, Anna

Hi Cat, thanks for your post here.

We're very sorry to hear about this, I have sent a private message to you here on Boards.ie if you'd like to take a look. We'll certainly do our best to help get this resolved for you.

Thanks, Eve

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cat McCann

Hi - I actually agree with Andrew.

I should not have to call into a bank in person to sort this out. There should be a direct email contact for people who need assistance in this manner.

In any case....I have already called in in-person to the bank twice (I am self-employed, and both times the travel to the bank was over 45 minutes one way, which means I had to take ample time out of my working day to do this).

The first time I was told that I had to phone a certain number. This is even after my explaining to the staff that I was deaf and although I communicate orally and lipread, I cannot use the phone. After that I was asked so how exactly was I deaf, why did it mean I couldn't use the phone. They then did phone on my behalf, but I was made to feel like an encumbrance rather than someone with a legal right to my financial information. I hate to think what it is like for deaf people who communicate using sign language!

Thankfully the second time the staff member was more approachable and helped me as best they could, although problems still remain. With no email to contact...

Hi Cat, can you please confirm what Branch you visited ? Apologies for the experience, Anna

Can you remember the name of the my colleague that was looking after you also ? Thanks, Anna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Cat McCann

Hi Anna - Letterkenny the first time, Falcarragh the second.

Best,

Cat

We sincerely apologise Cat for the experiences in Branch. We will pass on your experience to Branch Management and ensure this is acted on immediately. We have received your private message and will follow up on this also. Thanks, Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PCW8512

Dear Sir/Maddame I am trying to use my Bank Of Ireland debit card to buy USTD but my card is not accepted although the money are inside my bank account, the last time I tried it blocked my account, I have a hearing loss and is very difficult to communicate via phone, I leave abroad, please let me know what to do, it is very annoying and also very urgent for the transaction to be done.

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

I am sorry that you are having difficulty making this purchase. Our live chat team are available through this link from 9:15am. One of my colleagues will be happy to help.

www.boi.com/chat

Thanks, Megan

Advertisement