Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't Get NAS Working with Own Router

Options
  • 03-06-2023 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,

I recently bought my first router for fibre and I've got most things working ok.

I have a QNAP NAS that I mount via my MacBook, from there I can add TV/films etc. I use an Apple TV app to connect to the NAS for viewing. But, since I got my own router, I can't get this to work correctly. The QNAP software on the MacBook can connect to the NAS for about 2 mins if I restart the router, after that, it loses the connection. I've been using that time to get into the NAS to see if there's any settings that I need to tweak. On the router side, I've left the NAS with dynamic IP, I've tried static IP to no avail.

If I plug in the ISP router, connect the NAS via LAN, it's detected instantly and I can mount and view. So I wonder are there some settings on the NAS that I need to adjust?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Wired or wireless? Is AP client isolation enabled?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Frostynight

It's a wired connection.

AP isolation is off at the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

if it's working when the router is not on then chances are it's using auto ip address of 169.254 0.0 range

I would guess it's not in correct ip addresses, check what range your router is giving out to your pc, then restart the router, logon to the NAS and set it manual to a ip address in the same range but not the same as your pc or router.

then ping the ip address of the NAS to confirm it's on the same network, if it is you should be able to connect

example of ip address

router = 192.168.0.1

pc = 192.168.0.25

NAS = 192.168.0.100

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

ISP router IP range match new router IP range? You could set it to match, or

Is NAS set with static IP (in the range of ISP router)? you can change that to DHCP option or to match new router range

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Frostynight

Thanks for the tips. The router IP was within range of the new router address pool. I tried both static and dynamic IPs both on the NAS and the router. It was always a unique IP not in use by other devices.

I got my router a month ago and I just don't have enough spare hours to fix tech. issues like this, I was 5 mins from opening the front door, booting it out the door, then closing the door. So I was open to last resort attempts.

Things got stranger and more difficult. Restarting the router stopped giving me access to the NAS. Restarting the NAS then gave me the window. I really only keep films and TV shows on it, nothing important. Also, tech. news says Asus routers had issues in recent weeks, knocking them offline due to a faulty forced update. FFS. I reset the NAS as a last resort. Apparently the NAS force upgrades passwords as of the last major update. But it's bugged, I searched online. I wiped it, started fresh and the router and NAS play well together. I'm not clear what the issue was, but I got past it. Thanks anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement