Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time health insurance mid 50s

Options
  • 03-06-2023 7:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Cal04

A relation had health insurance up until 2009 when they could no longer afford it. They are now in their mid 50s without any. I'm worried about them getting older without any. Can they join now or would it be astronomical?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Deiselurker

There will be a 2% levy for each year from age 35 to their age now that they didn't have insurance. However this is offset by a credit for the years they had insurance which should still be on record. They should contact the insurers for more information as better to take it now than wait and take in a few years.

• Bear in mind that me choice of insurer, as we’ve recently heard about insurers other than VHI not covering the most effective drugs for cancer. I shudder when I hear likes of Conor Pope going on about choosing the insurance company that offers the cheapest option “as they all offer more or less the same cover”. If you find yourself with a disease very treatable via the insurance company you turned down to get a cheaper quote, then that insurance is relatively useless to the situation you find yourself in.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If you get into serious trouble a life and death situation

everyone is equal

• Registered Users Posts: 16,985 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Everyone is not equal though when waiting to see a consultant, having diagnostics and accessing treatment for symptoms that could become a life or death situation.

ETA - everyone is not equal either when waiting for so-called elective surgery etc.

Advertisement