Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone TV

Options
  • 03-06-2023 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

My Vodafone tv box won't turn on, there's a red X on the screen and there's flashing green and red lights on the box. It is connected by ethernet to the Gigabox router.

I've tried turning it off and holding down and OK and turning back on to avail. Other ethernet and wifi devices are connected fine.

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bargainhunt20

I had a similar problem with Vodafone tv. Kept getting a red X with a number.

Got onto Vodafone several times, was told to keep resetting it. Tried every reset possible did work only temporarily. Eventually they agreed the box needed to be replaced or at least an engineer look at it. This went on for about a month, which drove me up the wall. Made a complaint over the whole process taking so long and been without tv as well as no show by engineers for 4 appointments.

Engineer showed up after several cancelled occasions by KN networks (another story). Engineer wanted to change Broadband modem but I insisted that wifi was good just a new tv box. The engineer didn't have a box with him so had to go back to the warehouse to get one.

Long story Short, tv box is broken just need to order an engineer out to replace. Once they replaced the tv box, worked good as new. My advice just ring for an engineer appointment and avoid the tech support.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

It was working perfect until last Thursday, I got the modem replaced and then the TV box stopped working.

With the new modem. Did you put the LAN cable from the tv box into the LAN input on the modem and not just a random port.

Could try reset wifi modem, get a pin and press the reset button beside the power on at the back. It's a little hole. There is a YouTube video from Vodafone Ireland.

Lastly I would just try to reset the tv box. With steps from website.

1. Power off and on the box via the power switch
    2. Immediately press and hold down the 'OK' and 'down' buttons on the device's front panel during boot up
    3. Keep the buttons held down until you see the green, blue and red icons flash 4 times
    4. Release the 'OK' and 'down' buttons and wait for the system to reboot
    5. Rebooting of the system may take up to 15 minutes
    6. Do not turn off your broadband router or disrupt the process

If TV box is still not working then you definitely know it's broken. Try to order a new one. Again avoid tech support if you have done the above. If the box is broken it's broken.

If you l are stuck without tv, I used Ibox Ireland 10 per month for similar channels and you cast to the tv.

I hope the troubleshooting resolves the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

I got it sorted today with their Tech help, basically involved them restarting the Siro wall box, the modem and then they sent over updates to the TV box

Good to hear. I was on the older broadband (VDSL) so had a different set-up compared to SIRO broadband.

No longer a customer as BB was only 34 mbs. I always got a good deal off Vodafone matching price of Sky or Virgin offers.

General question regarding Vodafone TV, considering switching back.

Does the Netflix feature still work.

Do certain channels still freeze up and say no signal but then tune back in.

Do they still offer Sky Sports/Cinema for 1 euro per month for 6 months.

Does the TV app still function.

Just curious thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

Hi, just to answer your queries above:

Does the Netflix feature still work. - No it doesn't (which is a pity, it was handy)

Do certain channels still freeze up and say no signal but then tune back in. - Didn't have this issue. Channels sometimes just buffer for a second

Do they still offer Sky Sports/Cinema for 1 euro per month for 6 months. - No longer do this (unfortunately)

Does the TV app still function. - Yes it does

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Is switching to Vodafone TV & Broadband a good option? I am currently with Virgin Media but am tempted by the Vodafone price.

What is the TV Box like? Is it similar to the VM360 or similar to a media streaming box, i.e. similar to Eir TV?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Poorer version of the 360 box. It’s grand for what it is price wise but the tech in the box is greatly getting dated and there’s a lack of investment in it and channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Eir TV uses standard Apple TV 4K box with cloud recording. The Apple TV box is excellent and allows all the over-the-top services to run on it (Netflix, Amazon Prime, RTE player, YouTube etc). It works well over WiFi and does not require any wired connection. Vodafone uses a legacy proprietary box with a hard-disk, and requires a wired connection for the main TV box. Additional Multi-room boxes can be wireless, but there is an additional monthly fee. Eir do not charge any additional monthly fee for multi-room, if you buy additional Apple TV boxes yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Vodafone seem to be lacking lately with the quality of their tv option. I just recently switched from them to Sky. Sky today though has launched Sky Stream so no need for a dish 50quid a month for broadband, tv and Netflix .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Thanks, I am finding it difficult to find videos as to what the interface looks like and how easy it is to change channels. We are not into all the various Apps and typically use the conventional channels which are easy to access and change channels on VM 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

New tv box from Vodafone, claiming 4K capability, built in sound system from Bang & Olufsen ( not sure how that works), they are offering Now TV as an add on, Sky Sports in HD, previously Sports was only SD, in fact most channels seem to be offered in HD or upscaled HD. Unless I missed it, I can't see anything about recording ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Seems there is 500 hours of cloud recording subject to two caveats. Firstly, as with Sky Stream and eir tv there’s restrictions on what can be recorded for rights reasons; secondly recordings self-delete after 30 days.

This seems overall to be a quite similar service to eir TV in that they’re moving to relying on Now TV for Sky content (is that effectively making Virgin the only remaining wholesale Sky customer in this market - that’s worrying from a competition point of view).

The box appears to be running Android TV or a derivative of it.

If its cloud recording, I wonder how will that affect recording of the BBC channels ? There's no mention of the RTE or Virgin Media players I think, so presumably RTE1,2 and Virgin 1,2 etc can be recorded as normal, but I don't like the self deleting after 30 days, we would often record stuff on Sky and it could be weeks/months later before we might get around to watching it.

I went through the Vodafone information page on this new tv system, I was wrong, you can't record RTE 1 or 2, BBC 2 or Channel 4 it says. They recommend using the RTE Player, Virgin Media Player and TG4 player which ARE on the box. No mention of how to record CH4 or BBC 2. This whole idea of streaming tv is becoming a real pain in the ass in regards to recording, it looks like Sky is the only option for full recording capabilities on ALL channels.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Did someone say VM are no longer installing TV360? That can do recording on all channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Delta2113

VM still doing 360 boxes (main box has hard drive) but not in all area's and yes you can record every single channel and keep the recording for years if you want (once your box doesn't become faulty or die). Personally I still watch music stuff recorded in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Delta2113

What channels don’t let me record shows?

1. RTE One
    2. RTE Two
    3. Channel 4
    4. E4
    5. BBC Two
    6. More4

BBC Two is the most odd here when you can record BBC1. RTE seem to be very unhelpful to providers regarding playback, recordings etc.

Not being able to record BBC channels is a major limitation since the BBC iPlayer does not work in Ireland. 30 days is also very short. Eir allow recording of all BBC and Channel4/More4 channels, and recordings last 6 months, positioning eir ahead of both Sky & Vodafone for TV streaming services. Agreed, RTE are the most restrictive on recording, but at least the RTE player runs on the cloud recording boxes. It is clear that commercial TV channels who depend on advertising will seek to gain control of the advertising as TV services move to next-gen streaming platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Has anyone tried out the new box - looks interesting?

Any feedback appreciated.

We have Eir TV at the moment and Apple TV box (which is rock solid and nearly Wife/Mother-in-Law friendly)

however price jumped up to over €85 and they won’t budge - and we only have VDSL 70ish Mbps at the moment. We really need to move to a decent connection (looking at the 50Mbps option from Vodafone)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭davejacko

Did you try and get a new contract for a reduced price? My 2 year contract ends soon, looking for tips on getting a good deal. Its €98 for TV and 1gig BB. I do like the Apple TV service but not for that price.

I phone up Eir every year just before my contract is up, and each year they have renewed the TV and mobile at €9.99pm each, so far. These are very competitive prices. If you re-contract for another year, they reduce the Broadband also, but not by as much, but enough to justify staying. None of the other cloud TV offerings can match Eir TV on the Apple box. Vodafone & Sky have too many restrictions on recording. Eir also let you do multi-room without any additional monthly fee, if you buy your own additional Apple TV boxes outright, and they include Amazon Prime TV. Just do your homework on the price of the competitor offerings, ask for the Loyalty team, and quote them when you are renegotiating. You need to make the call once a year - you can't renegotiate online.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭novice

I have the old VF TV box and really regret this choice. I picked VF for the Sky Sports deal. Broadband is very good (I found Sky or Virgin slightly better), but the TV is infuriating at times. The box is ancient (I'd say 10+ year old tech), and the user interface is clunky, but I can live with that. Picture randomly stalls, especially on big sporting events (Rugby World Cup, Formula 1.) What really surprises me is that the drop outs happen on recorded content, not just live. There's no excuse for this - if it's recorded content and not live then there's no urgency - any dropped packets should be retransmitted. I've never come across this with any other provider (Sky, Virgin.) I will move from VF and put their antique TV box in the trash once my remaining 6 months are up.

In short - I would recommend steer clear of Vodafone for TV.

Advertisement