Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion - Summer 2023

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some thundery bursts possible today and again later tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Strike registered south of Kilbrittain on the Cork Coast

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

That strike on its own at the moment but the models are showing some of the parameters for thunderstorms tonight and early morning coming in from the W and moving across to the E ( best area of shear and lapse rates as a tongue of high Theta W airmass crosses the country ) . But like yesterday ( although better profiles tonight ) there might be just too much mixing and cap inhibiting much growth of convection but we will see. So far from what I can make out a lot less rain has fallen than forecast so far but convection is growing off the W and the heaviest rain to come overnight mainly over the Northern half of the country. No yellow warnings but probably meeting the criteria for rainfall in the areas highlighted in the rainfall accumulation charts below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Bang on Meteorite ! sitting here watching the tv and the room just lit up to the north west . (Castlebar)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

A couple of strikes in the Irish sea between 11pm and midnight. One very loud clap of thunder overhead at 11.30 in Portrane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

Potential for another thundery outbreak in the next 10 to 14 days looking at what the charts are churning out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I think we could get some tomorrow evening by the looks of it

So far little rain from the cold front set to move up over the country, a trough moved up out in front of it also but weak. Temperatures set to be a bit higher in the top two thirds of the country under clearer skies ( although some bright spells here near Tralee helping temps get over 21C now ) so convection looks set to mature across the top third of the country later with shear more evident giving better lapse rates. Some thunderstorms possible more so in NW, N and NE counties later tonight into early Fri morning but might not amount to much.

Met office have a yellow warning for rainfall later in Northen counties.

ECM showing potential for some hefty thunderstorms later tonight in Northern counties especially Antrim and Down as it meets wind convergence and plenty of DLS above it too. Louth might get clipped by a storm too perhaps. Rainfall seems to have pepped up some bit on the radar. Will see what transpires.

A complete bust last night, no sferics detected in Northern counties. Looks like the rainfall wasn't as bad either

• Advertisement

Amazing multi video captures of a violent storm that went through La Chaux-De-Fonds, Switzerland on 24-7-23 causing widespread damage and unfortunately one death and several injured. Some debate if there was tornadic activity but many along with the met service saying it was a Microburst https://www.weather.gov/bmx/outreach_microbursts which would give multidirectional winds and severe downdraught winds and in this case recorded at 217 km/h ( 134mph ) yet awaiting official verification.....could be a new windspeed record.

There was a very accurate forecast issued by ESTOFEX that day and also from Swiss Met

Watching Fri to see what happens as the large are of LP gets closer to us, possibly spawning waves and producing smaller areas of LP aided by the Jet and sending in bands of possibly heavy rain. Early look at the charts showing high Theta W and High Theta E , lots of shear both low and Deep, possibly plenty of instability with high levels of vorticity .Will see as the week goes on what are the chances of embedded convection and thunderstorms.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Any updates for tomorrow?

Been a hard one to follow or give any reasonably confident thoughts on it during the week for me but shaping up now to be quite a dynamic system featuring a small compact LP system developing off the main system and moving up over Ireland all derived from warm moisture laden airmass sourced in the tropics, high with Theta E and high Theta W readings, Dp's into the mid teens, the combination of strong Low level shear and deep level shear for a change with decent lapse rates,( tornadic activity possible ) frontal forcing perhaps producing some thunderstorm activity, potentially active moving into the south tomorrow early evening and moving up the country and could be still firing away in a few places into early sat morning. Very hard to predict where might get thunderstorms when the Lp moves up over the country, Thunderstorms could form wrapped around the system in the frontal areas ??

So a watch in place to see what develops off the S and SE coasts initially ( cork to Waterford ) late afternoon early evening and to see if it travels inland and maybe a few independent storms also ?

Some huge pwat readings of 34 to 38mm, would give very heavy flooding rain under the storms if they develop.

Heavy squally showers.

I don't know my thetas from my pwats, but that sounds tenuously exciting!

Getting everything charged. 14/08/22 was when I got that beauty of a lightning shot on Tramore Beach. Everything crossed for tomorrow

Oh best of luck spookwoman , hope you get some great shots, could be a bit windy down your way tomorrow evening too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Youghal beach between 6 and 10 looks rather exciting tomorrow. Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Banarol

We have the blue gold here in Mid Tipp, 2 flashes , in last few minutes, loud thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Had some very loud crashes in North Tipp last night, one practically overhead - less than a second between the lightning and the thunder - my surge protector has died (modem and laptop fine).

I was holding the cat and telling her it was all quite safe and I wouldn't let anything bad happen, then nearly jumped out of my skin. She wasn't pleased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭gipi

Lightning tracker showing a lot of activity out at sea from Dundalk.

MET forecat tomorrow

Some showers could be thundery and may lead to spot flooding, especially in the east and northeast.

Yeah a showery trough crossing the country from the NW to SE kind of direction during peak diurnal heating with associated cold pool aloft giving fairly decent lapse rates, land and air ahead of the trough should be heating nicely, perhaps getting up to high teens or 20C in the SE, not huge shear available so perhaps more pulse type thunderstorms. Decent levels of sunshine aiding lift. The trough coming up against nice convergence along the S, SE, E in the afternoon. Could fire up crossing the midlands, the S could see some activity and increase in the E and SE in that afternoon/ late afternoon. Thinking the SE and E could see the most activity especially along coastal areas late in the afternoon.

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

Very heavy convective shower in Tralee just now, spilling out of the gutters.

Some big showers actress the country, will they fire up ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Lucan getting a nice heavy shower at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Unreal afternoon of sunshine so far.

18⁰ Meath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Meath is awash with heavy showers and thunderstorms now.

Thunder warning issued.

Some near cork city but I hear nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Getting a light show down here in east cork!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Lady_North_11

Thunder very loud over Swords now.... not much space between the flashes and the thunder. Loving it.

• Big flash just now in Sandymount. Seems to be rolling in from the sea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

storm centred over north east Dublin it appears, nothing like June but still not bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Boom of thunder a moment ago in Clondalkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭esposito

Was driving and could see massive flashes over Dublin bay. Really dark sky and it appears to be coming over to south dub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

2 or 3 big flashes in Clonee/Ongar just now, one let off a mighty rumble of thunder. Shook the whole car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Good wee storm lasting 40 minutes pushed through Portrane / Swords heading towards Howth. Quite frequent lightning and thunder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

A few rumbles and a flash in Celbridge followed by a biblical downpour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Thunder distant now in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Lashing now in Clondalkin. No sparks or rumbles, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well that was some thunder/ lightening storm here in North County Dublin.

Two of the booms of thunder were the loudest I have ever heard in Ireland, brought me back to my childhood.

Ongoing extremely heavy rain with continuous loud rumbles now in Celbridge. Some flashes, but nothing spectacular.

Seriously getting worried about flooding now. Water pooling and road like a river.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭TracyMartell

A house on fire in Corduff apparently struck by lightning!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Rumbles of thunder and biblical rain in Firhouse D24

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

That was a wild downpour. I’d say all the drains around where I live in Celbo will be flooded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yep our road flooded for a while, has never happened before, once storm stopped it did eventually drain away.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭TracyMartell

Yes, in a family member's house in Celbridge and for the first time ever it seemed it might flood there was so much water pooling.

I think it's the heaviest rain I've ever experienced outside Florida, but thankfully, it has settled down now. And it looks like things are starting to drain.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement