Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiananmen Square- Keeping the memory alive

Options
  • 04-06-2023 5:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Today is the anniversary of a truly amazing day in China. Yet ask any Chinese person and they either don't know or smile and refuse to acknowledge it, such is the power of the government there to remove the memory from people's mind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

I remember a few years back the Chinese emphasis was more about suppressing discussion of it, and managing the message, i.e. it was a necessary step to avoid total chaos etc.

It looks now that they are trying to completely erase the memory of it: China: Acknowledge Tiananmen Massacre | Human Rights Watch (hrw.org)

How China is erasing Hong Kong's Tiananmen Square memories – DW – 06/03/2023

This is a good Guardian article from 2016, about how history in a totalitarian states is always being reshaped, and primarily is there to suit current political requirements: China’s memory manipulators | China | The Guardian

(I rarely seem to see in-depth nuanced articles like this in the Guardian these days. Has the obsession with click-bait and identity-politics degrded it that quicky?)

I'm always wary of politicians who constantly try to use a narrow historical narrative to shape a current political agenda. including Ireland's populist parties.

Very good point on why Xi Jinping turned back towards one-man authoritarinism, and why China could continue to stay stuck in the system:

" The Soviet Union was able to discard Stalin because it still had Lenin to fall back on as its founding father. For the Communist party of China, Mao is Stalin and Lenin combined; attack Mao and his era and you attack the foundations of the Communist state."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Fcuk the CCP. Shower of basterds.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

In memory of the dead and millions in China killed by the Communists since then.

Advertisement