Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom McKibbin

Options
  • 04-06-2023 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Time to start a thread I think. Whether he closes this out or not, he's showing what a fantastic prospect he is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

He will be on the ryder cup in Adare. He will win loads and contend in majors soon.big prospect.Progressing every year.Really calm demeanour .Very experienced caddie by his side too

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Well he's got his last tee shot away grand with a 1 shot lead. He's been solid the last few holes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

Interesting, I listen to the Bogey Men podcast. Last week they tipped him to win soon! Looks like it may have been a serious call

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Scrabbel

What a shot to 18!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Panrich

Great win and amazing shot but it had to be a bit of a pull surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Scrabbel

I don't think so. He had to draw it around the tree deliberately. Fantastic composure throughout the back nine overall, even when he made the 2 bogies. Great caddie work by Dave McNeilly alright.

€340,000 at 20 years of age, nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Great news to hear, nice to have another Irish player making the mark at the highest level

Potentially could make a push for Ryder cup now? Another couple of good results could put him in the running

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Could be some day/night for Hollywood GC,if Rory wins on the PGA, surely never happened before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Jesus what a performance that was. Unreal win for him

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭IAmTitleist

What a talent and what a beautiful swing.

Saw something on Twitter about his lack of backing/funding from Golf Ireland and also lack of a pick for Walker Cup.

Tweet claimed it was all "politics".

Anyone with more knowledge of such shed any light?

I remember something about the Walker Cup alright at the time he didn't get picked. From what I remember he basically turned pro straight away because of it even though the long term plan had been to stay full time amateur for a few years. Looks like it was a good decision now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

I think he was also planning on going to the states for college but covid messed it all up

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭phelimb

I could not believe he took that on - fair play to him, his self belief and confidence must be sky high.

I'd assume given this win and what he's picked up so far this season that he'll have no issues keeping his tour card for next year?

Automatic 2 year exemption on tour for a win, so pressure is completely off him now as regards keeping card.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

He has one goal now and that's to finish in the Top 10 and off to the PGA

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭coillcam

Pretty much this and any invitations he might get will be greatly appreciated. Rory or sponsors might be able to nudge a few his way. Although it might be better to turn those down and focus on getting the Top 10 for a guaranteed PGA status next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭blackwhite

In the immediate short term - he's not a million miles off one the DP World Tour's exempt spots for the Open in July. He's currently ranked 23 - the best 5 within the the Top 20, not otherwise qualified, get a spot in the Open.

Currently Soderberg in 15th is taking the final slot but over 100 points ahead of McCibbin. Would need few top 5s to catch him.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭phelimb

Today's round won't help! It was going poorly anyway but taking 11 on the 16th? I'm assuming he put 3 balls in the water?

• Advertisement

I was looking to see how he was doing on the dp tour app and was very surprised to see he missed the cut with +7 after a -4 on Thursday. Can't see any details about it other than the shot tracker. Looks like he hit the water with his 2nd. Then airmailed the green. His recovery shot went back over the green and into the water again. Looks like another drop or penalty from same position behind green. So can only assume water again or some other penalty. Hard to tell from the shot tracker lines what the 3rd drop was.

Gotta feel for the guy. I know he's coming off the back of a win but that's a handy cut and cheque he's missed out on. Hopefully it doesn't set the kid back. He'll have bigger and better days ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

7th place finish today in Japan.

There are 10 PGA tour cards available from the European tour rankings. That should move him up to 15th so hopefully he can continue the good form into the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

He's only 21 would a couple of seasons on the European Tour benefit him?

It would be like a good apprenticeship in how to close out and win tournaments.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Qualified for US Open. Great achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 38,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think he could go well in it. He's very accurate off the tee and at hitting greens in regulation. He's not great at holing putts but always seems to have good pace and rarely three putts. That's the skills you want for a US open.

It's a great experience for the lad and making the cut would be a great boost.

Advertisement