Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firearms storage laws

• 04-06-2023 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I’m trying to find out what’s the up to date firearms storage laws,local Garda says 3 and over requires monitored alarm,I’m applying for my 5th gun so it means I’ll have to cut back to 2 to avoid an alarm,spent €2000 on a safe so now that seems money down the drain plus handing over 3 guns,I can only find 2009 legislation online

Answers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Law hasn't changed since 2009. It's SI307/2009.

The bits that pertain to you:

3)Two restricted firearms, or more than three non-restricted firearms.

Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.

4)Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place.

In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority, which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Síochána.The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shane-mac

Thanks for that,is he right so in that I’ll have to cut back to 2 guns to avoid the alarm,is this standard enough,does everyone with 3 and over guns have this alarm system installed

Depends on the type of guns you have (restricted, unrestricted or a mix of both).

If they're all unrestricted them he is wrong in so far as the law says the minimum for more than 3 unrestricted firearms, or in your case soon to be 5, is a safe and an alarm on the place the guns are stored which is usually complied with by a door alarm to the room the safe/guns are in.

The problem is the security levels are minimums meaning a higher level than is stated in the SI can be applied if it is deemed necessary

My advice would be to talk to your FO, ask why the Super wants a monitored alarm and see what the story is.

If they do want one then your options are to not buy the 5th gun maintain the status quo, or get the alarm installed and you need never worry about any other security requirements as you'll have reached the top level.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

thanks Cass,all my guns are unrestricted,3 rifles and a shot gun,applying for fourth rifle,I’d be happy enough to cut back to 2 rifles and the shotgun so I’ll suggest that and get rid of 2 rifles and see what he says

I think that is madness.

There is no law that says you must do that, the security laws are outlined above and show a monitored alarm is not necessarily required, the FO cannot demand anything as it must be the deciding officer (Super)* and finally if you start down the path of being limited to what you can have through "bullying" , following improper advice and eventually "voluntarily" offering to surrender gun(s) you'll set a prescedence you won't be able to come back from.

Speak to your FO and request a meeting with the super to address their concerns and why they want a monitored alarm.

Failing that, a monitored alarm is half the price of a rifle with some companies and as said above it'll leave you at level 4 meaning you go for any firearm and not have to worry about security.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

For 5 unrestricted I had a self monitored alarm system for years, the CPO inspected it and passed it. That is the system I had in place for years with no issues.

Now when I went to 6 the alarm had to be upgraded to a monitoring station, this was achieved by a couple of small changes and a small increase in yearly cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭freddieot

Be careful of doing 'deals'.

I've had personal experience of a similar situation. FOs and Supers can change and that means any arrangement you agree is dead when a new player hits town.

Also, one you start giving, they keep taking.

If you are prepared to drop from 4 to 3 then why won't just 2 do you. That's the way the ptb think.

Thanks for the reply’s,I’ve made the decision I won’t be giving up any of my guns so we’ll see what happens this week,the alarm won’t be the end of the world so I’ll go all out to fill my 23 gun safe if that happens 🤣I’ll keep ye updated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'll take the 23 gun safe off you for €50 if you like. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

Monitored alarms aren't that expensive, albeit the monthly sub can rack up, over time.

If your a member in a target club, another option might be to see if you can get approval, subject to storing something at the club.

Whatever you do, don't give up part of your sport over this, I'm sure that there's a good reason for wanting each of those firearms.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement

10 weeks since they contacted me and never heard a thing since,still waiting for the licence for new gun,I’ll give it a couple more weeks but I’ll have to chase it up then,that’ll be 3 months since he processed it and it was handed in two months before that,it was misplaced,never this long waiting before,had one back in 5 working days before

I'm waiting on a renewal. The licence is out since November last year. They are absolutely acting the boll1x in my area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sealgaire

can anybody recommend a self monitoring system for a gun cabinet/room?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭dto001

Does anyone know then if getting a night vision scope (which I believe and correct me if I'm wrong is classed as a restricted firearm) will mean If I already have 3 non restricted guns that I will need to get an alarm system?

Just so you know, if you are required to have a monitored alarm under the legislation, self-monitoring isn't allowed unless you happen to be licenced by the PSA to conduct a monitoring service.

Check out S.I. 307/2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sealgaire

I don't fall into that however, 3 shotguns, 1 Rifle. All unrestricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I'd be getting a very peppered solicitors letter out to them. Stating the decision time is 3 months per legislation and as no response is deemed a refusal, they have obviously refused your license. So therefore you would like an explanation in writing as to why so you can instigate judicial proceedings for this refusal. Bet you'll have it within a week.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

A straight answer...No one, not even aGS knows themselves at this stage.

Their "policy" is/was as of May this year to "cease issuing any licenses for NV/Thermal units until the legislation changed"[OR maybe the FEC report was published, where they seem to have adapted stuff that was recommendations as literal law] That was from my local FO in May, who took the time to ring the Park and chase it up. So yes its a "restricted firearm " under our dumb of dumbest legislation but no one thought thru this part of the security arrangement either. Or do you now need a restricted firearm license too for the gun you are mounting it on as well? It has now become an utter shambles[as was predicted] and with Chief Supers being able to make up their own rules on restricted firearms grants, scuttlebutt, range talk, rumours, shooting forums and the bloke down the pub all pitching in...

Ive been shooting in Ireland man and boy for 47 years now, and I have to say 2023 will go down in my books as the most chaotic year on firearms legislation that I have ever seen. The NV situation,the FEC committee and still unknown fallout in future legislation,the semi-auto centrefire rifle ban. The lead shot ban and the NPWS still not publishing any maps of wetland areas and still no open season signed off by the Greenie in charge.

"Cowboys Ted...Cowboys!"

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

Yes I can, Altor security are brilliant and not expensive at all. That's who I'm with and can definitely recommend

Advertisement