Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business safety idea

Options
  • 05-06-2023 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just want to run this by someone.

All business need to do various safety checks and tests to fulfil requirements, such as;

PAT testing, quarterly, annual Fire Alarm service, Extinguisher check/service and Emergency Lighting service.

What do you think of offering a "one stop shop" type service for all this? It would be providing just the service and maintenance of the above, testing, changing batteries, bulbs etc. No installation or on-call service. Save the business having to go to several different providers.

All of those services can be done by a competent trained person, doesn't have to be a registered electrician. And there are courses available for all of them.

Business owners out there; would this be an attractive service?

Pros and Cons? (dont be too harsh!)

Thanks

James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Get a few customers onboard and trial it out. That's how you will find out the practicalities of it. Services like this propagate by word of mouth, you provide a good secure service at a reasonable cost and word gets passed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I think the concept is good but there are two issues – accreditation and sales – that could stymy you. You need to be accredited by a reputable body(ies). Compliance with H & S is (or should be) high on the list. I would not be happy with some randomer purporting to be an experteither training or signing off. How would an insurance claim be handled/viewed by an insurer were one to occur? On large risks the insurance companies send out their own surveyors to assess risks, on smaller ones they are happy to accept a report from a recognised firm/expert.  Sales – as said above, word of mouth will be good, but you need to get customers first. Get proper accreditation, contact H&S or risk managers; insurance companies and brokers would also be a good source  channel as they meet the insureds every renewal and could sell your service if they trusted you.

Thanks for the reply, yes I would be looking at getting the correct training and accreditation. Lise you say sales would be a big job. I'd imagine lots of visiting premises with a tailored offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JessicaBosworth

Good idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

Definitely a gap there targeting small businesses for a complete "mot".

It's a chore trying to remember and organise different elements.

I've recently had fire extinguishers serviced. We have health and safety booked for September. A general safety audit was done last April and staff training is on the cards for October, but hoping to combine it with the health and safety training.

Each element is a different supplier and if someone came to me said they could do it all on a single day, it would be an exceptionally attractive proposition.

Thanks for the replies, I've been busy doing courses and setting up a website. Website is procheck.ie same on LinkedIn, I'd love your thoughts on the site too.

Thanks

James

Had a look at your website. I’ve seen a lot worse. IMO it’s a bit light on the ‘Who we are’ and too wordy/repetitive on the ‘What we do’. What you must build into your sales offer is confidence, i.e. confidence that your product and team are capable and qualified and insured to carry out the work. That – to me – is missing because you have no personnel names, no mention of any training or qualifications, no business address, no landline, not even a photo of a van with your logo.

Saying “We are trained and certified to the latest Irish Standards and Regulations” is not enough. After all, you are selling 'safety and security'. Most businesses would expect to see a Ltd. Company or at least a VAT No. At the moment you are simply James XX t/a Procheck.ie, it's not a great image for 'confidence' (and also, everything you own is on the line if some insurer refuses to pay a claim and the insured then turns on you).

As I said a few weeks ago I like your concept but image is critical and that is missing. I’d also try to get customer endorsements for the website once you are up and running.

Thanks for your honest comments. It's a work in progress and done by myself. I plan on creating a page for each service with a bit more about what each is. I will also add more personnel / company info.

So are you suggesting form a LTD company? Isn't this a big jump for a one man startup?

Because I’ve no idea of your business plan, your approach to market, your target market/niche, etc.  I’m not ‘suggesting’ you to do anything, I’m just throwing out a few comments for you to consider.

You don’t need a page per product, you already need less words. Your target audience knows that stuff already, just remind them of key details.

I’d guess you have not done a SYOB / LEO type course, I think you would benefit from one.

You have a very viable concept and the proposed business has potential if you ‘do it right’, so it is just a matter of time before another company in a participating sector sees it and replicates your idea. However, if your initial approach is incorrect, you will not get off the ground nor, if you make just one mistake, will you survive. You supply a service that could have huge implications for your customers. Your fee is petty cash when compared to the consequences of a factory/creche/pub burning down because a sprinkler system you approved did not turn on, or a water supply / pressure was not sufficient. That is why the bigger clients will closely examine ‘who you are’ and what quals, certifications and links you have.

Bigger companies expect suppliers to have a VAT Reg number, their payment systems require one. No VAT number causes hassle for them and does not ‘lift’ your image. Certainly  you can start at the bottom without one and with less professional customers (very small  SME’s) but that is not where the money is. If you must drive Westport to Athlone for a site visit, the travel+ time cost is the same whether you verify 4 or 14 extinguishers, but the fee income will be quite different! (BTW your site does not show your areas covered.)

Forming a company – it’ll cost €250 or so off the shelf, an annual return will have to be made and basic financials (not audited) filed.  A bookkeeper or accountant would do all that cheaply, certainly under a grand a year. Using them will lift admin from you and allow you concentrate on growing the business. The benefit of a Ltd company is that your liability is protected, so if something goes wrong you won’t lose everything, including your home.

I mentioned endorsements earlier – when you have made more progress you need to consider approaching an insurance company and investigating if they will accept your certification.

Remember – more information, less words.

• Advertisement
Advertisement