Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticketing involving Irish Rail & Translink

Options
  • 05-06-2023 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Folks,

Am I right in thinking that a ticket can be issued by Irish Rail to any station in Northern Ireland? Is there anywhere where it is possible to see the cost of a ticket to a station up the North?

Basically - myself and a couple of friends are going up the North and thinking of having a look at the Giant's Causeway and Carrick-a-Ride Rope bridge. So, I'm trying to work out the price of a return from Connolly to Coleraine. (In case it is cheaper to book an online fare in advance, and then book a return from Belfast to Coleraine when we get up there. We have a hotel for the night in Belfast and there's 1/3 off day returns within Northern Ireland after 9am - so it may or may not be cheaper to just buy an online fare to Belfast from Irish Rail).

I asked at my local station and the person in the office said they can't check it (something about not having the code). I tried using the ticket machines - it wasn't an option. A ticket to Coleraine can't be bought online from Irish Rail.

I have tried filling in the contact us form on the Irish Rail website a week ago - I haven't been replied to.

Any information appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

They exist alright and refusal to issue the ticket as a through ticket is a breach of EU law

All staffed offices are issued with a manual which outlines the procedure and fares so no excuses.

That said the best option is to book online from the Irish Rail station to Belfast (works for all intercity stations) and then purchase a ticket from Belfast to destination, that gives you the cheapest option but if you miss the connection well thats your problem, whereas on the through ticket there is an obligation to carry you on the next train, provide a taxi or even overnight accommodation

And the fares can be found http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/fare_calc_2022.php

Advertisement