Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mum on the run

• 06-06-2023 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I’m a new mum to a gorgeous 3 month old little girl and have decided now it’s time to claim back some me time, get fit and hopefully loose some of the baby weight.

Pre baby I played team sports but age and free time or not on my side now so the plan is to use running as my escape.

I’ve signed up for the kilcock 5km at the end of the month and Dublin Half Marathon at the end of September, probably a little ambitious to go from couch to half in 15 weeks but I love a challenge. Could do with finding a 10km race for early august and a 10mile early September to gauge where I’m at. Any recommendations?

Goals for the year are simple :

• get out 3 time a week

• get healthy

• have fun

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

First ‘run’ in the bag yesterday evening.

2min walk, 1min run x10

I was slow and my legs felt heavy and strange but we got through it.

Dont know how the plan will have me running 5k in 4 weeks but will stick to it and see what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Congratulations on your baby girl and best of luck with your running goals!

There are loads of races over the Summer and Autumn, you will have no problem finding races to help your build up to the Dublin HM. Just keep an eye out on social media for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Congrats on the baby girl and best of luck with the running.

This is probably the most complete (but not comprehensive) list of races that you will find: https://lindienaughton.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html

Also worth following a few local running clubs on Facebook as they will highlight any upcoming races in your area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Congrats on the baby and hope your training goes well :-)

If you are signed up to the HM in September it might be the Dublin HM in the Phoenix Park, if it is then there is a race series that goes with that race as build up races, the Frank Duffy 10K in Swords in July and the FD 10 mile in the PP as well in August, these might work for you as build up races

Week 1 completed and tonight starts week 2, just waiting for some of the heat to die down before heading out

Week 1

Tuesday: walk 2min run 1min x10

Thursday : walk 2min run 1min x10

Sunday: run 1.5mile (managed run 1mile and walk 0.5mile)

I was meant to do 30-45mins cross training on Friday but 1. I didn’t find the time and 2. I wasn’t really sure what cross training involves. Is it just another form of exercise I.E weights, swim, walk, cycle?

todays plan is 1min run x 1min walk x15

also any tips on what I should be doing for warm up/ cool down like what stretches and when, foam roller etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Cross training is pretty much any other exercise so cycling or swimming … not sure I’d class weights as cross training but worth doing anyway.

In terms of warm up and cool down I think it’s probably enough to walk for 10 to 15 mins either side of your run/walk program. The foam roller would come in handy if your muscles are tight maybe.

Sorry for lack of update. Slowly upping my running v walking ratio and trying to follow the Dublin half marathon plan week 1 this week. Managed to jog/ walk 5.5k in todays 45mins long run and at the moment my pace won’t make the 3.15 cut off. What happens if you miss the cut off can you still finish or?

going to stay training hard and goal is to 1. Finish the half marathon and 2. Sun 3hr time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I'm only a beginner runner too so I'm sure more experienced people will offer better advice than me, but here is my two cents

23 of September is still a long time away, so there is plenty of time to get lots of training in. I wouldn't worry too much about logistics like that yet! I'd say if you are following a plan and it's going ok for you, just focus on that.

I did my first half yesterday and I didn't run too many runs at the pace I did yesterday so there is some method to these plans by the looks of it! (Although I did change plan a few weeks ago after I got an injury) But there is also a big difference between me yesterday and me 2 months ago, so give it time!

That’s very reassuring thank you so much

• Registered Users Posts: 21 RickNally

Hi there,

Congrats on getting started and setting yourself some great targets. I personally love the half marathon distance and think it's a great way to challenge yourself once you feel ready to push beyond the standard 5km / 10km road races.

Some races can be strict with their cut off times but most of the Dublin based ones aren't. I've volunteered at events like the Dublin Marathon and the Womens Mini Marathon for many years and the cut off time is usually where we start the process of packing up but many runners will still be making their way past.

You still have a good few weeks to build up your endurance and fitness before the actual race date and you'll be surprised by how much of a boost you get on the day of the event itself. Having other runners to work off and the buzz of the crowd can be a big help.

Are you still running 3x per week?

• Advertisement
Advertisement