Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused on how to become a teacher...(looking for career change advice from those who have done it)

• 06-06-2023 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

Trying to wade my way through the available information that is out there, and getting confused, so I was hoping I could get some clarification on a few things.

For background, I am a marine scientist with a PhD and BSc interested in a career change to teaching at secondary level (I have leaving cert level Irish, but didn't sit the honours paper so cant do primary). I know I would need to do a PME, and my understanding is my subject would be Biology - I had thought also Chemistry, but my understanding is that your entire degree (i.e. until 3rd year) had to be in the subject for you to teach it. I am awaiting ECTS transcript to see if I have the 40 credits to have it as my second subject.

I guess my main question for those of you that have retrained recently is how? If I understand correctly, it is a full-time course, with a large proportion of classroom time (which I assume is unpaid), during which time it would be extremely difficult to work (although I suppose some weekend work may be possible if your really don't wish to have a life). At the same time, the course costs €12-15,000 - and there appear to be no grants to avail of (for someone in my position). Even if we weren't in a cost of living crisis, this seems ridiculous.

So, if you are a mature student, who has been through the system before (and so seems to qualify for no financial assistance, e.g. SUSI), but has a mortgage to pay and needs to eat - how do you/did you do it?

It all seems incredibly difficult - and considering I keep hearing in the media how there is a major shortage of teachers, I thought there may be some re-training initiatives or supports, but it seems not to be the case. (Also, big respect to those of you that have managed it!)

On a related note, I was reading through some other recent threads on here and seeing that others have said that the hours once qualified are really unpredictable, and unlikely to get full-time hours for a long time......again I am confused if there is such a shortage, why is it so difficult to get hours? And if so, I guess that it is even more difficult if you want to stay in/near a particular area?

Salary: ASTI says it starts at €42,015 - but many other recent posts on here have stated much lower wages - why is this? Is this due to not getting full-time hours? And how does payment work during school closures? Or does it? (forgive my ignorance here)

Finally, and perhaps provocatively, articles like this one talk about 80% of schools hiring unqualified teachers - I mean how does that happen/work? Irish Examiner: Schools to share teachers from September due to 'critical' shortage (sorry, it wont let me post the link)

Any help on the above is much appreciated :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭derb12

I did it when it was a 35 but it was a 1 year HDip so not such a massive hit financially. I know a mature-ish student going into 2nd year who is doing the PME through Hibernia and is basically working and getting paid full time in a fee-paying school. They were stuck for a biology teacher and he ticked all the boxes except for being qualified. He is hoping to get something similar in another school next year but probably won’t be able to be as well funded - he’ll just teach his PME hours and hope to get paid for covering absences. He told me that the PME isn’t that taxing and he was well able to work & study. Working a job outside of teaching would have been trickier.

I don’t think I would have been able to cover the costs of the two year PME, but I never regret my decision to become a teacher.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I was the same, went back late but it was the one year HDip.

The people I know who’ve gone back recently had a spouse to pay the bills while they worked. You can end up getting a lot of subbing , but that’s predictable and obviously only during term time. As has been said above, you might get lucky and find a school desperate enough that they might give you hours while you also teach your free hours. It’s mad how difficult and expensive it is.

I was probably one of the ones complaining about salary on the other threads! Normal contracts out of college are for 12 , 14 or 16 hours. So you have to take that salary, divide by 22 and multiply by 14 (or however many you get). If you get a year long contract you’ll get paid for holidays. If you get subbing you’ll be paid by the hour and not for holidays.

The unions have been saying all what you said for years, and people just give out that they’re trouble makers….

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Debbi

thanks for the comments folks, I really appreciate it - at least I know I'm not just interpreting things incorrectly. It is crazy its so hard, expensive, time-comsuming, etc. when there is also a need that needs meeting - but hey, thats our government all over!

I do have a spouse who works, but not enough to support our family and pay our mortgage, especially in these expensive times!

Thanks again.

Advertisement