Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need advice from librarians and mature students ASAP please!

Options
  • 06-06-2023 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5

Hello! I was just wondering for people who do librarianship and people who have done a PLC as a mature student, if you could help give me some advice, the Leaving Cert didn't really go as planned, so I'm planning to work till I'm a mature student (save up and get a licence) I already have a job so the next thing was finding a PLC, I found this PLC course humanity (pre-university) it involves research and study skills, community skills, personal and professional development, word processing, elective modules, psychology, classical studies, English literature ,philosophy, folklore and ethnology, It has a minimum of two weeks work experience placement in a library (which I believe is very good). I was firstly wondering if to get into a PLC as a mature student do you need points? Is the Leaving Cert needed? Or can you apply and the points and requirements needed won't apply? And if securing all distinctions in the modules I choose will I be able to apply for a CAO? Can it only be a certain few CAOs?

If anyone has any recommendations of a CAO course for librarianship it would be gladly appreciated.

I really hope someone replies 😭

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I can't speak to the PLC course, but for librarianship you need your honours degree and then you do a postgraduate masters in Librarianship. Now, that's to be a qualified librarian, you can work in libraries without the MA (or Msc depending where you study) but those will generally be library assistant posts which are usually on a lower payscale.

In Ireland you're looking at UCD to qualify as a librarian, though there are many other courses available in the UK and in the EU that you can take. All those I'm familiar with are postgraduate courses, though I do believe there are some BA courses available, but I'm not aware of any in Ireland or the EU.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This has nothing to do with Feedback. Confirm your email address so you can post properly, then I'll move this to a forum that's actually related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5 idontknowwhatnams

If I can get into a PLC and get what's needs I probably could apply to UCD and go from there. They might have some knowledge on what courses to take in the opening days, so I'll make sure to visit, thanks for the feedback I'll look more into honour degree's and all that too!

Advertisement