Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society 2023 (Round 5) Lucan (30th June @2:30pm)

• 07-06-2023 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭

(Previous outing link: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058293160/boards-golf-society-2023-round-4-slieve-russell-20th-may-1-20pm/p1 )

Last year, we had a blast at Greystones Golf Course, enjoying the sun, some post-game putting shenanigans, and maybe a pint or three in the town afterwards. This year, as your ever-enthusiastic captain, with absolutely unique ideas and authentic original vision.... well, i'm shamelessly jumping on the bandwagon and bringing the Friday evening fun again. This time to Lucan Golf Course. Bring suncream and a sense of humour to this, hopefully, injury-free event from yours truly. A review of the course suggested a person recently fresh-aired a putt and it still rolled out 8-feet, so I guess the greens are fast. Anyone electing to take a buggy for this one will not be made fun of (ie: don't make fun of me!) If anyone has a course guide or some local knowledge, it would be much appreciated. Suggestions for places to have a bit of craic afterwards equally welcome.

Pricing for this one is €30. I believe clubnet is open for bookings now.

Post edited by RoadRunner on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Great society course, with a lovely elevated opening tee box which should make for a good audience spot.

Been a couple of years since I've played there so I haven't played any of the new holes, but have only heard positive news about them.

Looking forward to this one. As Roadrunner mentioned, greens are generally very fast, think I 4-putted the first green the first time I ever played there.

If I remember correctly the front 9 had a few more elevation changes to deal with and the back 9 had a flatter run of holes, but all could have changed since then

In terms of accommodation for people looking at an overnight I'd think to look around Liffey Valley direction or else Celbridge maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Raging to be missing this one as it's right on my doorstep and a lovely course but it's Disneyland for me that weekend. Agree with all good things said about the course, its always been a good one to play. Like space though I've yet to play the new holes but I've heard the only real bad thing about the course has been removed. Yes a bit more elevation changes in the first 9 and flat on the back. First tee is great, elevated and right beside clubhouse/proshop and putting green so ideal for a bit of ripping each other apart.

For the after social side Lucan is quite a big area with some decent pubs dotted around the place (taxi rides so get awkward). So I'd recommend you just go into the village where there are 3 or 4 pubs together but it's years since I've been in any of them. Other than that, you have the Strawberry Hall and the Wrens Nest along the Liffey.

Re accommodation, as Space says Liffey Valley has Clayton Hotel, the Lucan Spa hotel is very close by also. All depends on where yiz plan to go after though. Look around Lucan Village, Leixlip or Castleknock/Blanchardstown

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Think i'll actually make this one, thought not 100% sure yet. Probably won't stay the night, but stay around till the last train from Adamstown 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Snackbox20

Booked in for this one and really looking forward to this.

Well up for the shenanigans afterwards too 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭a post punk

Booked in now aswell, it was a great evening and night and long weekend last year! looking around at a few hotels best value looks to be Springfield hotel close to the course?

Yea that’s not too far away at all. Not sure you’d walk to it mind you. 5 minutes drive though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Got lucan spa.

€129 room rate.

If we’re all in the general area might be handy will check that out …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Found this on utube. OB never far away. Think i'm doomed..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_XM8IKOu_Q&pp=ygUPbHVjYW4gZ29sZiBjbHVi

• Advertisement

How many practice swings does it take to hit a shot ….. !! 😬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭kev_s88

gutted i'm missing this one but couldn't get the time off work. enjoy it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

My home track, hope everyone enjoys. Greens will be good, Captain's Prize is on the day after so expect them to be quick.

New holes bedding in well, the par 3 11th, par 4 12th and par 5 13th are quite exposed compared to the rest of the course, so they represent some timely respite from the trees you'll encounter everywhere else! Only advice I can offer is keep it straight, and take your medicine if you wander off line. It can be v difficult to get out of the trees if you wind up in them so make sure you're sensible versus overly ambitious.

As regards the aftermath, the clubhouse itself has a great view of the 1st tee box and hole so ye can rip into other players instead of each other for a bit. Lucan Village has plenty of pubs, Kenny's and Carroll's prob the places to go if you want food also. Courtneys good if theres a sporting event on and The Ball Alley, just before the village coming from the golf club, is a quality spot for a few pints and banter. Further west in Lexlip, you have the Salmon Leap and the Courtyard so no shortage of options!

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

You want to join us (and play in my group 😁)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Unfortunately, will have to pass. Flying back from Portugal at 2m that morning then playing the aforementioned Captain's on the Saturday, so not a runner!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Really looking forward to this one, been playing a lot of golf lately by my standards and apart from one blip a couple weeks back have been hitting the ball consistently!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

My stop / start season is really effecting my golf but I’m looking forward to playing another new course for me. Am off Friday so under no pressure heading up so will head off early and get a range session in first.

Range at Carton House might be ideal on your way past. Alternatively the Celbridge range only 5 minutes up the road from club

Charlie will probably head for Celbride for a nose at the Golf Studio guys gear 🏌‍♂️💰

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Really disappointed to be missing out on the golf for the foreseeable future. My last round of golf was back in April when we played Arklow. I had physically suffered playing that round and too be honest probably the previous outing at Rosslare as well but I really wanted to get back playing after missing a lot of golf during the recent years.

About a week after Arklow the pain was getting worse so a visit to the GP happened and after some visits for X-Rays and an MRI I was sent to an Orthopedic Surgeon at the Hermitage. It wasn't a problem with my sciatic nerve in the end but the tests/scans revealed that I have no cartilage left on my right hip. The only solution is a total hip replacement as soon as I am in the right condition to proceed with. Bottom line is the my golf plans for 2023 are ended. I might get back played after recovering from the operation (providing it goes well) but the summer will have ended and the golf season will be all but over.😓

Those shiny newly fitted set of irons purchased in March will just have to wait until then to prove their worth. 🤑

I haven't played Lucan in a few years but I will say this again as I said to many playing partners. The greens at Lucan are probably the best I have ever played on anywhere. If they are running fast most players will find that having a poor putting game will be a significant challenge to scoring well. I have no doubt that the tales on this forum will include mentions of some frustrating 3 or even 4 putts. The course itself is always in great condition and rewards good players that keep the ball out of the many trees that line the fairways

Best of luck for the remainder of the season to everyone.

• Advertisement

Sad to hear of your injuries Macker. Hope you get sorted with op sooner rather than later and recover well and quickly

Macker, it's probably not any consolation, but in the past 5 years I've had a family member have a hip replacement and a family member have a knee replacement and the hip was the far easier recovery. Best of luck with the op and rehab.l, hopefully you'll be back on grass asap.

Sorry to hear the bad news Macker, that's pretty rough.

Similar to VW1, my Godfather had his done early this year, and he's already back on the course, playing in a buggy. Hopefully all goes well and the recovery is quick and we get to see you back on the course.

Good luck with it and talk soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭bobster453

Booked in for 3pm.If changes are made keep me at this time please as working in city til 2pm.

Thanks.

Speedy recovery Macker. Hope to see you back soon. Not being able to play really sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Snackbox20

Wishing you a very speedy recovery Macker, sorry to read that news. Hoping to see you back on the fairways as soon as possible. Take care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I had a pin put in my femur from the hip down to the knee in late January

They told me the recovery was more or less exactly the same as a hip replacement. I had a couple set backs (fecal impaction from the opioids been the worst) and had also get some radiotherapy where I unknowingly broke the femur which hindered the recovery

But I was getting about after 2-3 weeks

What killed me was the muscle loss due to the extra time in bed. But without any of the setbacks I would have been at 90% after 6 weeks

Certainly better to get it sorted now, as it would only get worse. Hope the procedure isn't too bad, and we get you back to golf early next year

👍️

Can’t ya still come for a few pints anyway Macker? Be good to get out for the chat and crack.

• Advertisement

That could very well happen Space!!! Need to try a round with a stiff flex set of irons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Hi CharlieIRL,

Thats a very good suggestion and maybe depending on timing of the operation - recovery It would be something to look forward too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Yes...its very hit and miss though

There are signs of recovery!!

Long irons and deck are still hard as require more co-ordination between upper and lower body

Let me know if you need a lift and I’ll collect you after the round

I haven't played golf in a month, and am almost certain to be rusty this week, yet i've somehow convinced myself that hitting into the net in the garden this weekend is enough to make me play brilliant and comfortably win on Friday.

Golf delusions are the best 🤣

• Advertisement

Booked the Springfield hotel, lucan spa is booked out. The week is looking good !! Bought a new driver last weekend so wasn’t great yesterday… hoping to get a round in this weekend before Friday to straighten it out 😬

You've still got 4 days to straighten out your new driver PP. Plenty of time 😀 What's the new driver?

Hopefully 4 days is enough!! Bought the new stealth, although went for a fitting with no particular make in mind that just felt the best and gave best results on the day…

Great choice. The stealth is by far and away the coolest named driver. Why would someone go with, like a TSR3, for example? 🤨

• Advertisement

Are we likely to see any changes to the timesheet to condense the booking times? Just trying to sort out babysitting as Friday is the last day of school and the kids are on a half day!

Yes, GolfGraffix should be tidying it up and closing the gaps

The teesheet for Friday has been rejigged slightly to keep the first few groups as three ball. Can everyone check their teetime?

Thanks for confirming much appreciated 👍

Captain @FixdePitchmark bought us 2 rounds last year aswell @RoadRunner at the Friday social so don’t be under any pressure to better his Captaincy 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

The teesheet is now read only, if you need to make a change please post here.

All lines have been emailed a conformation, please do check as there was one late swap

Yes, I've actually ensured that you'll have your own special spot in the bar afterwards!

It's actually in a separate pub to the rest of us too so you should have loads of room 😘

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

There's more golf talked about on the off topic golf thread than here. Sounds like a great night I'm missing out on.

Are pubs still delivering pints? I wonder could I get mine from the round sent over to the house? Even for convenience, my couch is closer to the front door than the fridge.

Anyway, enjoy the night lads. I'm hoping to get out on the first line in Glasson. My brother in law is having a stag that evening (he's already my brother in law. They had the wedding, but this more important bit is happening then). But I might be able to squeeze the two in. To be honest, if I'm in the pub too early I'll be home and asleep before my 2 year old goes to bed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement