Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society 2023 (Round 5) Lucan (30th June @2:30pm)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Feel free to join us afterwards on Friday even if you can't make the golf!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭bobster453

Will there be grub available in the clubhouse after the round?

If not,anywhere near by that has grub?

I am thinking Johnny Fox's but that might not even exist any more.

In Lucan Spa hotel thurs night..was there last night too.Bar food was decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Food available in the bar. Loads of alternative options in Lucan Village or Lexlip, which is just as close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

There will be food options after. I’ll confirm menu in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tigerwood1

Fare play Macker when we played Tramore you never moaned once ( you must have a high pain threshold) hope all went well.

Bobster i think you must be thinking of Toweys Foxhunter pub which is a long time closed down. You would be quicker going back to tipp that trying to get to Jonny Foxes which is in middle of Dublin mountains on a friday evening.

Ps i hope you hav'nt forgot that 5 euro you owe me from Arklow🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

lol. Johnny foxes….. miles and miles away 🤣

There's a rumour circulating that I told postpunk we're going to johnny foxes 😜 (We're not)

There will be food available in the clubhouse after the golf and I imagine many of us will head into Lucan then afterwards. I did a recce to Lucan on Saturday morning and found it to have lots of cool places to have a bit of craic. "Reeds on the river" looked like it had a nice outdoor atrium/beer garden area where we'll try claim a spot 👍️ But also open to suggestions.

(Minor changes in timesheet. Everyone's been moved forward by 9 minutes!)

• Advertisement

@tigerwood1 have the fiver i took off you in rosslare ready for you😂

Haha Johnny foxs..knew it was something to do with a fox.Was that where the black widow got her hisband done in?

Anyone around my time hired a buggy and wanna share cost?

Rang earlier in week but none available.

Just thinking of me auld bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭a post punk

First i heard of that rumour..tho it was a nice place for grub last time i visited.

About 30 years ago😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

I see that the last slot is now a 3 ball I can drop back to that if needed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Break80

Warm and Sunshine in The Real Capital at the moment.

Hopefully it stays that way.

On the road shortly, looking forward to catching up with everyone.

(For the record, we're not going to Johnny Foxes or Jack Whites. Just discard anything bobster453 says please. Same advice goes for the rest of the whole day too 🤣)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Not 100% sure its updated on all systems but might be worth updating maps for Lucan if anybody is using a watch. They have a new course layout with the new holes

• Advertisement

Haha...@RoadRunner funny that coming from the guy whose posts are full of useless advice.

Well not totally useless just as useful as tits on a bull😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Had a look at the preview on my GPS and was still showing the awful short par 3, so have it connected up and hoping that Garmin have the updates there.

Cheers for the heads up Pakman

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

@Macker1, very sorry to hear about your need for a hip replacement. Hopefully it will all go well and you'll be back in action soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭BohToffee

Mini mortem on the day. Had the privilege of playing with fix and Benny and while my golf was sporadically bad to average more bad than average and little to no good, the company was mighty good. That and the fact that I didn't lose a ball miraculously and thanks in no small part to Benny's fishing rod to retrieve from OB at the 8th green meant the day out in Lucan was not a complete disaster.. Fix called it on the putting green, there were going to be a fair few 3 putts on the way during the rounds, not entirely sure he thought he'd be marking a card for 10 of the fair few.

First tee with an audience I hook a tee shot way left, reload and almost do the same again, at this point someone with a brain may think, leave the driver in the bag, I'm not that someone... found the first recovered from that, pitch on 2 putts walk away with a bogey.

I could go on but the next 6 holes were carbon copies, get into trouble, get out of trouble, 2 or 3 putts... until 7, advice was too tight to the left and your blocked out... Always one for listening but rarely one to follow advice, I aim the driver way right, so far right I think I was heading for Celbridge.. bang starts right, drifts left around the bend or as I thought behind a tree, great shot you'd swear I planned it... 9 iron onto the green, but had to follow it up with 3 putts. The only GIR of the front 9..

Rather than go on let's just say I had a dose of the lefts all day off the tee (except on 13 when all the talk of the great John Daly meant I nearly missed the ball).. until 17 when I hit a beaut down the right, still went left just not as left... Thinking 5wd will hit the green of the par5 I remove said club from the bag, proceed to use my power to advance the ball maybe 80yds.. left! Over I went 8i in hand bang onto the right edge at the back of the green, GIR number 2 for the day, finishing well.. Almost got the putt but didn't got the return for a par.

Onto 18 brimming with confidence again... Then an announcement, this is longest drive... Well that's me done for so... Try to maintain a good tempo swing, proceed to barely scrape by the ladies tee, out comes my latest go to club, 6iron, ladies walking in from their 9hole game I hear behind me say 'thats a huge shot' in case they are reading was a 222yd 6iron, best of the day to that point.. followed with a 263yd approach that I thought was wet but instead was bang on.. until it wasn't... 1 chip and 2 putts my day was over!!!

The two lads were great to play with today, Benny's wedge game and earlier warm up practice green let him down... Could have had a much higher score.. Fix what can I say solid golfer, has every shot in the bag from sublime to not great 😃, putting was a dream nearest the pin could have been won by someone else he was that close to sinking the tee shot...

Thanks to the committee for arranging the day out, hope those hanging around enjoy the night out in Lucan. I think that's me done for the year now, have a wedding next day out in Meath so can't even sneak off for a few hours. As always a great day out with my online golf friends...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭BohToffee

Nearest the pin evidence. (The ball was not struck with the marker) an actual putter was used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great day and night yesterday.

Thanks to the captain for a flex on the course and location when we were let down.

Not really playing much golf lately (for me) , Life, balance, a change of scenery.

But was a big day out. The Boards Golf Society has an ability to bring you to a course you would not normally get to . Lucan has that great feeling , of a mature town based parkland, that has been the true foundation of Irish golf , behind the glamour of the great Links courses.

The greens were genuinely spectacular..would be a joy and a game changer to play them every week

We had a great group , fun , irreverence, great and bad golf..a nice summary of boards.

Benny and BohToffee are too good for their handicaps (but I always say that), no, just powerful ball striking and Benny with up and downs that would not be out of place in a pro event .

Myself, brilliant or terrible one hole after next ..

Slave , nice to talk to you and understand your game , with your 5 wedges and hybrids , you have found a way to play the game to the max of your ability.

We could all learn from that..pick your strengths and stick at them.

I'm away for next one , catch all in August.

Fix..

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭a post punk

Great day and night out yesterday, had the pleasure of playing with @LinoRichie and @bakerbhoy and enjoying the food and few pints after the round aswell.

The new driver is still bedding in ( hit some great drives and some poor ones) so I’m not going to go into how I played other than I had 35 points and extremely happy with that score because I didn’t really know how the day would go with the forewarned fast greens …..

To be honest I think we all were chasing the €5er and not really worrying about the scores until the last few holes where the banter got good !!

I was expecting the greens to be good but the fairways also were exceptional , there was no bad lie unless you were under a tree…… ( which I found plenty ) so really no excuses for bad shots.

Well done to @slave1 on a great score and win ✂️✂️✂️

The Friday evening round and social side afterwards was a great new idea from Fix last year and I hope it’s here to stay , great craic afterwards sound bunch of lads all round.

There was talk of an away outing lastnight out of the country mabye to a bit of sun , food for thought for the 2024 calendar year mabye !!

PP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

A lovely day out with the society again yesterday, the course was in fantastic condition. Really enjoyed the greens as others have mentioned, in great condition and had a lovely pace to them after warming on the much quicker putting green.

Played with two new partners in Kiith and WOMD, both of whom were a pleasure to play with. Both big hitters, Kiith being especially impressive with his length and (mostly) straightness off the tee.

I ended up with a score of 41 which I was delighted with, but I really really struggled off the tee with my driver - I developed a right hook with my driver which I couldn't straighten out until the 14th. Very frustrating as usually my driver is a strength, but I scrambled, chipped and putted far better than usual yesterday.

A perfect example was the 6th hole, I pulled my drive right and short into the trees, hit a low punch with a 7i to within about 6 feet and holed the putt for a birdie.

My only two decent shots off the tee in the first 13 holes came on 4 where I split the fairway and 11 where I was about 15 feet short of the flag on a good line and proceeded to three putt for a bogey!

It all seemed to change on 14 when I hit a drive which was left over trees and as I was unsure of what was down there I hit a provisional which I caught perfectly and ended on the fringe of the green. Luckily the first was in play when we got down there. Continued to hit it well on the run in - narrowly missing out on a chance at the long drive (at that point) as I was a decent bit past it but rolled out into the rough.

We had a bit of confusion on the second tee as I realised my h/cap was on the card as 25 which didn't seem correct at all, so WOMD just marked my strokes. All was clarified when we got back, and it should have been 20.5 and not 25. Probably all the better for not knowing the scores!

Typical golf really, played better holes on the back 9 and definitely hit it a lot better, but was out 22 and home 19.

Thanks for all who contributed to organising and congrats to Slave for putting a very good round together, we had spoken about his recent indifferent form at the first tee before going out so nice to see you scoring well!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 weapon of grass destruction

Another great day out. Thanks to everyone who helped organising it.

I had the pleasure to play with @Kiith and @VW 1 two great lads both can slap the white off the ball with a driver. Both are great lads had a good laugh all day.

I started ok then continued to find the base of a tree on nearly every hole.

Still yet to put a half decent round together out there yet but alway great to just get a chance to play some these great new courses.

Congrats to the the winner @slave1 that's some score on that course.

Congrats to Slave1 on a great score. Followed in 2nd are 3rd place by VW1 and bakerboy. Only 2 2's were recorded on the day and the par three were playing difficult. Nearest the pin was taken by fix and longest drive was taken by token56. Lowest gross (78) was recorded by alanm.

Really enjoyed lucan. I had heard the greens were superb before (Macker has long sung them praises!) but wow they rolled incredibly. Funny enough, spectating on the first teebox, I found myself with a putter in my hand and hit a putt on the teebox and found it rolled close to the speed of my regular greens on my home course! Lucan was a stunningly conditioned course. It looks like a great members course. My chicken curry and pints in the clubhouse afterwards went down very well too. I'm calling Lucan a hidden Gem! Pints afterwards in Lucan town was great craic too. I was very wayward with the driver on the day but I did a good job of reducing three putts which kept the score from being too bad for me. My highlight of the day was a 10 foot eagle putt on the par 5 downwind 13th. I missed the putt but had a tap in birdy with a shot on that hole too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Glad to hear that the greens lived up to the standard that I had commented on many occasions in the past. Some excellent scoring as well as I can see by the results posted above. Hopefully everyone had a great day and night.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Break80

I had a great day all round.

Played my first round of golf with my son who is only taking up the game in his 20s.

Really impressed with Lucan, conditions of tee boxes, fairways and greens were top class. Service and atmosphere in the clubhouse was second to none.

Had a steady round with 2 birdies 1 of them a 2 so profit made. I found any visit to trees, you had to take your medicine as most times you had a few layers of woodland to navigate so the hero shot wasn't on, suck it up and out sideways with you. Love it!!

Great night after in clubhouse first and then Reeds where the craic was had with a great bunch of characters.

Thanks to Lucan for having us, they were probably scratching their heads when our Captain announced the winners by their usernames.

Great day all round.

Break 80

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Snackbox20

Evening golfers,

Fit for the bed after a busy busy weekend but it was started by a brilliant day and night in Lucan. Another new course for me but if I can borrow the phrase from a number of you, a gem of a course. Got up in nice time and got the few bits and bobs and had my warm up in the nets and tried a few putts on the practice green. A lot was said about the opening hole and what a grandstand hole it was. The condition of the course was top notch, the tee boxes were like a well maintained green and the fairways and main greens were fantastic. Found a few fairways tight but the greens had for me a pro pace on them. I was delighted that my first tee shot got away nicely hogging the right side of the fairway. I was very happy with my overall game and was going well to the turn with 22 pts. My best shot of the day was my 3w recovery of approx 240yds to the green on the 9th and a downhill putt for the birdie. On the back 9 a few strays and 2 axe wounds gave me 13 with a respectable 35 in the end.

I played on the Friday for the first time with both @charlieIRL and @Alanm, thanks so much for the craic and the great chats on the round. It wasnt charlieirls best round and there are a few things in his game that he will be ironing out and in time he will be back in the winners circle and knocking on that door for some of those top finishes 🤞.Congratulations to @Alanm for the best gross score of the day. I was at times mesmerised by the way he both played golf and struck the ball. In life there are definitive sounds that indicate "sweet spot", or "perfect" or whatever way your mind thinks, but hear me out, the sound of that "thwock" of finely sharpened axe splitting timber, or the bite of a ripe granny smith, the way she.........(stop snack box), or when you see or hear a pro flush an iron shot. That's the sound I heard a lot of yesterday when Alanm struck a golf ball and the flight to boot. Great golf.

A really enjoyable round of golf on a gem of a course.

Then there was afterwards and from the craic in the clubhouse (mighty grub btw 👌👌) to when we went to a another gem - reeds, domeo and Juliet's of pints were consumed, great craic and banter was had with a brilliant bunch before heading on to bad no, the chipper and staying sensible for the taxi spin home.

Congratulations to @slave1 on your pole position with 44 points and to @VW 1 and @bakerbhoy for the 2nd and 3rds. To the longest drive winner and nearest to pin also.

Fantastic work again by captain @RoadRunner and the committee for organising a great outing.

See you all at Glasson.

Snackbox

Fantastic round by @slave1. Every club in the bag was doing what it was told. In particular he hit some fantastic wedge shots just past the pin with enough spin to pull them back. He was doing it all day. Those sharing the tee box with him had a less glamourous round but that's golf.

I followed up Friday with a round so bad I've got a lesson this evening to try and pinpoint some issues 😁. Hopefully I can restore some pride for Glasson. Really wish I could have stuck around for the drinks but it wasn't to be, but great course with fantastic conditions. Thanks to all involved in putting it together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

Unfortunately I wasn't able to stay around too late so missed the presentation but had a really good day out with bobster453 and ballyk.

bobster453 had a really great round considering the back problems he was having throughout and a well deserved top 10 finish for battling through it. I've never seen a man more focused on not loosing a 10er 😁 After an unlucky start ballyK had a very consistent round. Definitely has the game for some low scores. Both were gentlemen and great company for the 18 holes.

My own round was very jekyll and hyde which has been the story of my year so far. Not playing for 2 weeks definitely cost me though and with 5 scratches I probably did well to get 29 points. I am delighted to hear I got the LD, I was sure there would be a few hit past me but the fairway narrowed a nice bit so I'm presuming that worked to my advantage.

A really nice course that was in fantastic condition. One I'd definitely come back to play again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's easy to sit around a clubhouse after a round and say great course etc and then whisper under your breath what the place was really like, but for Lucan it was the real deal, on the tee boxes you could find a teeing spot no bother, the fairways were firm throughout (but not hard) so you could really strike down on the ball and the greens were just top notch, very receptive to approaches and mid-fast speed with true lines to the hole. Only negative I could see was the bunkers (fine in themselves) were poorly attended by previous visitors to sand and some dodgy foot print lies. It's been on my list for quite a few years so delighted to finally make it.

Small bit of rain but very windy on the day, high drives off line were taken into trees (of which too many leylandii) and even past the trees onto other fairways if sliced or pulled.

Playing partners on the day were Pakman and Tiger, Tiger was very rusty and it was a punishing track if shaking off the rust, Pakman still hits it an absolute mile but aforementioned strong winds took him to pastures new on too many occasions, there's a low round hiding there for someone like Pakman where GIR is not an issue with that length.

I'm not playing as much as I'd like, had a lot going on with work and around the house this past year or so and Covid prior to that so I probably have played the same number of rounds in the past 3 years as I would normally play in a year (less actually), I didn't golf from MJ last year until Arklow so have been very rusty with poor logged rounds where I never seem to warm up until the back 9. I played two rounds during the week, two tough courses in Fermoy and Cobh and it was windy that day, unfortunately I knocked a lot of shots so my aim in Lucan was to get off the first tee and then take nothing long on and just try and not force any swing.

I was very relieved with my opening tee shot, okay I hit the rough but it was high and went a good distance, I was 180y out in the rough and immediately put the plan (if you can call it that) into action and just hit a 9 lay up, feeling the firm fairway beneath me gave me a lift as I love highly conditioned courses so I hit the smoothest 9 iron approach in ages to around 10ft and sunk the putt for an unexpected and welcomed par. The speed of the greens was bang on for me and as I rarely use the putting green I was not caught out on the speed differential. The second, third and fourth were similar, decent tee shot, underestimate of wind and all short of GIR, wedge on, two putt and kept out of trouble for bogies (apart from a double on 2 after a bunker visit).

Then the long walk to the fifth, my best drive with GIR in sight so I duly 3 putted for a bogey, same with the next, a GIR 3 putt for bogey, fair enough the first putts were long but I hate 3 putting. Index 1 seventh was never within reach but a good chip on and one putt and I got away with a bogey. Parred the first of the par 3's and then my first bad drive of the day pulled me into the left trees on a shortish par 4, fuk I thought, but was in a lovely lie with a view through the trees right to the flag and only a 9 iron, left it to makeable birdie putt and walked off with a par, parring the last two of the front 9 was good. I had not taken a full swing all day and was quite relaxed in good company on a course I was really enjoying.

Parred the next two, the par on the par 3 was after the best par 3 tee shot I've taken in years, not near enough to take NTP but felt good. Then a silly long hole into the wind (for me) but a good punch on to a one putt and bogey. I messed up the tee shot on the wind assisted par 5. It was 186y to clear one bunker and 230y to clear the other, I aimed for the 186 bunker as I know my carry very well but pulled it towards the 230 bunker and thought the worst, thankfully as I'd teed it high it just cleared the bunker for a 278y drive which is my longest in years, yes wind assisted and yes a firm fairway but I'm taking it! Was left with 232y to the pin which is never reachable for me but it was very open and I thought even if I knocked it down it would still travel far enough to leave me close enough to the green, hit my best ever longest hybrid shot to leave it just off the green and the putt tracked all the way to the pin but somehow veered at the last foot to do a 180degree cup and leave a tap in birdie, delighted with that.

Really messed the next hole (stupid internal hole lined with with leylandii both sides) after pulling drive to left hand rough, tried to force onto the green and knocked it 20y, silly me not sticking to the plan. Then fluffed the next high into the sky and was heading for the water encircling the front of the green but being one of those days I landed this side and hopped over to leave a long two putt and I got away with murder on that one.

Shortish dog leg left next and my drives were starting to wander so pushed it to the right, was in a good lie and exactly my 9iron distance over the trees so was delighted to hit to birdie distance and sink it.

At this stage I had a proper look at my score and realised what was happening, said to myself to just scramble in (my drives were missing fairways) with bogies and that's essentially what I did by finishing with 3 bogies.

My best round in years and although I had to leg it I stayed out of respect for Captain and Committee as I know all the hard work that goes on and it's a bummer when main prize winners are not there. VW1 also had a strong round so will be interesting to see how GOTY table updates to. Greeted with a 2.4cut the next day so overall a great and unexpected round. It's a mad game considering how bad I was mid-week.

Onto Glasson, on my doorstep so the shortest drive possible for me to golf, hopefully we get great weather, I'll post a guide when the Thread gets started.

Interesting approach to the game slave...you basically are not playing for GIR golf ,most of the time. Its gets you results.

I couldn't have the discipline , to not take on a 180 yard shot with no real trouble.

But you must have a remarkable wedge game. A few lads have mentioned the spin you get on the ball.

Real data driven game.

Fascinating..

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

I've a huge club gap from 170-200, ball could go anywhere

I wonder how the membership feels about the new holes and layout....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

I personally dont like them. They just seem so out of place! I taught Lucan was a great track and probably the best greens I have played on in a long time. But the new holes to me were just wrong! even the rough was different. The walk to them and back was stupid and messes with the whole flow. I even noticed when we were walking back you could see all the trees in the distance.. It was like the hobbits returning to the Shire.. 😂

I never played the course before or the old holes but the one I seen looked good. I heard space say the old par 3 was only 80 yds and stupid. I have never seen it but I do know the Curragh has a Par 3 110yds and its a great hole. I only played it the once and was years ago but still remember that hole.

I liked the new holes. I like a bit of a change in a course. Otherwise everything feels very samey-samey.

It's nice to get away from the trees for a breather. A different challenge. Full on exposure to the wind. Trickier greens? A feeling of isolation. This tricked me into thinking I was accurate & the second we encounter the trees again I went OOB left off the tee.

I'll take that one Fix.

The new holes have generally been well received by the members. The land had lain idle for a long time but the decision to develop the new holes was ultimately prompted by potential legal issues arising from the holes that cross the road, particularly the old par 3 7th, where residents, motorists and cyclists had made a few complaints. Nothing was ever so serious that a court date was on the horizon but the club figured it was better to be proactive.

The holes themselves are quite exposed compared to the rest of the course so not surprised to see a few comments implying that the wind was especially noticeable in that area, but they are 3 solid holes and they can play v differently depending on what the wind is doing on the day. The greens are their real protection though; small, shallow and slopy, particularly the new par 4 and par 5, 12 and 13 respectively.

Given that the course now pushes further west, the new holes and routing have added 10 to 20mins to rounds which isnt ideal but couldnt be helped. The aforementioned routing change has also meant that the 9th hole no longer brings you to the clubhouse as it always had traditionally; again, not ideal, but, again, not the end of the world.

The holes that were 'sacrificed' were the old 4th, a short par 3, the old 6th, a shortish par 4, and the 7th, our former signture hole, a tricky par 3 across the road into a two tiered green. The latter hole, now serving as a chipping area, has been the most lamented, so much so that it may well make a return at some point. The old 4th will not be missed; ye guys would have passed it on your way to the current 4th, the par 5 up the hill. The green was brought forward in a previous redesign some 20 years ago and it has been widely accepted that that was a bad mistake. Uninspiring and finniky, Im not unhappy to see the back of it (although it was and likely will continue to be brought back in over the winter to facilitate 10 hole competitions). The 6th was/is a loss in my view, not only because of the long walk you are now faced with between the current 4th and 5th holes (formerly the 5th and the 8th). It was a good risk reward par 4, driveable at times but a real card wrecker with a poor tee shot. It did cause slow play issues as a result however so its removal has slightly countered the aforementioned effect the new holes have had on round times.

All in all, Im content with the layout and feel the new holes have added to the course. No doubt therel be more chopping and changing going forward!

The only thing I thing that I didn't like on the day was the blind tee shot when you rejoin across the road. We had a long wait down in the hollow which probably didn't help, also I flared my drive right, which again is probably another reason I didn't like the hole on the day.

The first red line denotes the limit of my vision when standing at the second red line. Quite unusual on a parkland.

I love the new holes personally, and after chatting with a few members, I think the lower guys in particular like the changes. I do think the 6th going is a terrible shame though. It's a great hole with lots of ways to play it and loads of risks. It's made even worse by the fact that you have to walk it to get to the next and see what you are missing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The 5th was a bit of a mess. As long as walk as i've ever had between holes, then the completely blind tee shot. At least give us a marker or post in the distance to aim at...felt kind of stupid tbh. That's about my only criticism of the course to be honest. Layout was pretty good, it was in great condition, and the greens were fantastic. Also loved the elevated tee box on the 1st with the clubhouse behind it. Really nice start to the round.

My golf was what i've come to expect lately. Some very good stuff mixed with mistakes that cost me massively. Scratched 3 holes on the front 9, due to some dodgy drives. Not even my usual drives either, topped them about 30 yards to the left. Irons were decent, and my wedges were very good. I had 19 points on the back 9, which i was very happy with. Just need to stop scratching so many bloody holes.

Played with VW1 and Weapons of Grass Destruction, and both were great company. VW1 was only let down by his drives till around the 15th hole, but scrambled like a pro. Few times i think he should have just intentionally put himself in trouble, as he always recovered really well. Weapons of Grass Destruction has a big drive on him as well, and went really at the start, but then decided to take a tour of all the trees on the course :P

Overall, lovely day again, and looking forward to the next (not sure i'll make Glasson).

• Advertisement

"The 5th was a bit of a mess. As long as walk as i've ever had between holes"

Wait till you play McCreddin and walk from 9th to 10th!

5th hole is quite a strong hole imo. One of the few where a really wild shot wont get you to relative safety, left obv dead, right and youll still be impeded by tall trees.

Can understand issues with the hill; it's funny, when you've been a member for a long time, alignment or an aiming point is no longer an issue whereas it must strike a visitor as quite severe. Think Mullingar has a similar hole early on in the round, allbeit the hill isnt as steep. Only a matter of popping up the hill for a look Id have said, not as if you have to go 200 yards to see around a dune like you would in (eg) RCD or Enniscrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

I think the issue with the hill, for me anyway, was even after walking up to see what was there - it was tough to have a visual on an object in the background as a reference point to give an idea of line.

I liked the three new ones, they are just yet to mature and will pose a tougher test when the trees in between 12 and 13 grow up a bit.

No harm with a white stone showing the line off the tee, speed things up, I think it's a bit of a bummer after such a long walk from previous green, to have to walk up further again, not an issue second time around so just a virgin thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Trouble is , you would nearly always have to walk up to check that the fairway is clear. I know there is a bell , but after the walk you can never be sure .

We took a line off the tallest trees on the right and were 2/3🤐 successfull.

Fantastic quality course though. A few well positioned trees on the new holes would blend them in over a few years. It doesn't need mass planting.

The 9th i think , index 17. Now that was a puzzle. lay up short of water leaves too long an approach. There seemed no safe way to make the fairway beyond. I think there are easier holes deserving of index 17 on the course.

Played with @a post punk and @LinoRichie and a right battle on the back side for the 5r. Three of us finished on 19 pts. 20 profit on the day😀 as i got the front and overall. The 3 fivers was called by @LinoRichie just after he stripped his drive down the center of the first.

post punks new driver is going nice for him and his general game and striking is too good for his index and expect to see him get to his goal sooner rather than later. Lino after a poor front nine came charging back to take control of the back nine and we were hard pressed to reel him in. A resort to the verbals was required, but he gave as good as he got. Great banter, really enjoyed it as it swung back and forth we were all on the receiving end.

Good total of jug points secured, good night after. Index down to 9.8 from a high of 12.5 early May. Looking forward to Glasson and a short break.

Well done @slave1 and @VW 1 on the great scoring. Thanks to all @RoadRunner and committee for organising.

• Advertisement
Advertisement