Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legally Binding Contracts at 17 yrs old.

Options
  • 07-06-2023 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5 ElapMd

Hey guys, hope all is well.

I am in the midst of running marketing agency (Online service-providing business) at 17 years old, I'm worried about the contract side of things as I'm under 18. I haven't yet registered as a sole trader as I've not yet been profitable but once I manage to sign clients onboard and send them a contract digitally, would there be any issues? I've read and in Ireland you need to be 18 to take part in a legally binding contract.

Any help and/or guidance would be truly appreciated.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth-family-relationships/children-s-rights-and-policy/children-and-rights-in-ireland/

You are correct, you cannot enter a legally binding contract until you are aged 18. However you only have a year to wait. In the meantime, I would carry on building working relationships with your clients. If your clients are happy with your work they will return, regardless of contract or not.

The main thing you have to worry about is payment terms. These can be provided, in writing, before you engage with each client. They won't be legally enforceable but if a client breaks them then you can stipulate what will happen next. It is important, regardless of age, that you/your clients adhere to the terms and you don't make idle threats. Always chase payment in a timely and professional manner - Have you got the invoice? Who authorises payment? Has it been signed off? When can you expect payment? Keep notes on each invoice and diary actions so you know exactly where you stand with each one.

Good luck to you, if you need any further help please just ask........

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ElapMd

Thanks for the insight!

Yeah, definitely going to further my knowledge into the payment terms. Appreciate the advice!

Although, how could I overcome any objection to me not having a contract in place, and onboard the client with no contract, in a professional manner. I'm worried that this aspect might just drive my clients the other way and refuse to partner with me.

Anyway, thank you for taking time to answer:)

Instead of calling it a contract, call the document Terms of Business instead and send that through to clients?

Where were you going to get the wording for this ‘contract’ from? What do you want it to stipulate?

I've gotten a template suitable for my niche and have personalised it to suit my brand and offer.

It includes terms of Guarantee/ Offer, Payments Schedule, Pricing, Terms of Service, Privacy and Confidentiality, Terms of Sale, Terms of Payment, Acceptance of Terms and a Payment Authorization form. I have included in the 'Terms of Business' that both Parties waive their right to jury trial, if that helps.

I wish for the contract to just make onboarding a smooth process, and for it to clearly define payment, and whatnot. So that if anything were to happen I could inform the client what was stated in the contract.

That seems comprehensive enough. Call it Terms of Business and send it through to your clients with no signature/date lines. Do your clients know you are under 18?

• Advertisement

Nope, client's would be unaware of my age.

So basically, remove the signature and date times of the contract. I'll send it over to the client's and ask them to review and give feedback.

Sounds good,

I wouldn’t ask for feedback. That’s just looking for trouble. If they bother reading it at all and have a problem with your terms, they’ll let you know.

Irish companies, especially small ones, are notorious for taking the p1ss when it comes to paying their bills. Try to keep on top of it at all times and if you threaten to do something, make sure you follow it through.

• Best of luck to you OP, I feel you have a bright future ahead, you sound professional and enterprising :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The best of luck with it, but one suggestion..stop using onboard like a verb.

Advertisement