Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance is due for renewal. Can I requote online with the same insurnace?

Options
  • 07-06-2023 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Ive been quoted an insurance by chill (kencoo with first ireland) that is more expensive than last year. I told them I got it cheaper online (with the same insurer) and they lowered it slightly to 1070 - online when I do a quote I get 940. They told me I can't get this price as there was a change in legislation and only new customers can get that price.

Can I say 'cancel' my insurance when it's expiring and just do a re-quote online with the same provider? They are being secretive and making it seem like that's not an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭HorseSea

I thought the change was that existing customers could avail of new business rate. Worth checking

When re-quoting online with the same company they will know from Reg or Eircode, most companies are smart enough to quote your new business rate the same as the renewal they issued.

Also check if the difference between the renewal and the quote you got is not just the fee by the broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CriticalKush

last year they also offered me a quote more expensive than the online quote. When I told them they actually ended up giving me an even cheaper quote so I don't think it would be the fee.. It's just all a bit weird to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I don't see why you can't do this. I've let my insurance lapse and not renewed and 2 days later I've signed up as a new customer with the same provider for a better deal.

I know that's in previous years but unless they've got some smarts on the website I don't see why it won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Tell them you got a cheaper quote elsewhere, no need to name the insurer who gave you the quote. Tell them if they match the number they can have your business.

I just realized that this years quote is more expensive than what I paid last year by 50 euro. I'll just have to take the chance with this.. not overpaying they can suck it lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If there is a question asking who your current insurer is, and you answer it correctly, there is no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Why dont you just ring the other 30 insurers and get a better quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭xeresod

That's complete bollix

For years I've been with 123.ie and have had no problem with getting a new quote....when it comes to selecting your current insurer they even have themselves as an option and always accept their own no claims bonus cert

(And yes, I complain about this in every survey I get from them!)

Told them I'll take my business elsewhere and they said OK. I checked like 5 insurers and they were all more but just did a quote with Liberty and its even cheaper. So it all worked out I guess :) thanks for help guys

Advertisement