Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expend4bles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gavster1982

apparently the inevitable fourth in the series is in the pipeline and will include the obvious cast....plus Hulk Hogan ? And Pierce Brosnan!

Now the overloaded star power and I say that loosely is good but how do they keep the franchise hoping and fresh at the same time? For what it's worth I think it will work....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭No_Comply

We want five! We want five! :D

The third was pretty disappointing. And that's saying something for an Expendable movie.

Once it's an improvement, count me in for some mindless action with a big cast of stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

On thin ice with this series - even though they are seen as being derivative cheap and cheerful nonsense they still cost a lot to make averaging 90m a pop.

Worldwide:$274,470,394
    Worldwide:$305,428,192
    Worldwide:$206,172,544 (and that was PG 13 ****e)

China will be the market that makes or breaks them.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,697 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It needs some Seagal and maybe throw in some American Ninja & China O'Brien as well.

Oh and Jackie Chan as well.

The only one talking about Hulk Hogan being in the fourth film is Hulk Hogan, a man who is known to make up casting rumours when it suits him. He likes to tell the story of how he was supposed to star in The Wrestler but turned it down as he felt it people wouldn't accept him playing such a part. Darren Aronofsky has repeatedly stated that he saw no one but Mickey Rourke in the role and that Hogan was even mentioned as a possibility, let alone offered the role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,442 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The only one talking about Hulk Hogan being in the fourth film is Hulk Hogan, a man who is known to make up casting rumours when it suits him. He likes to tell the story of how he was supposed to star in The Wrestler but turned it down as he felt it people wouldn't accept him playing such a part. Darren Aronofsky has repeatedly stated that he saw no one but Mickey Rourke in the role and that Hogan was even mentioned as a possibility, let alone offered the role.

Hogan also said he should of been in Metallica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭No_Comply

It needs some Seagal and maybe throw in some American Ninja & China O'Brien as well.

Oh and Jackie Chan as well.

I'd love to see Michael Dudikoff in it!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

If they make it PG13/12A again then they're fuking idiots. Bring back the bloody violence and make it 18s, it's the only reason these stupid movies should even be made

Im not going to watch it unless Bolo Yeung is the bad guy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

A fourth one? Really? I got as far as seeing Mel Gibson shooting one of the team in the leg in the third installment before switching it off.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It looks like Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Vin Diesel are likely candidates too. Hulk Hogan would be a bad idea. It would be kind of cool to see Clint Eastwood but he's getting on a bit, even for an Expendables film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It would be kind of cool to see Clint Eastwood but he's getting on a bit, even for an Expendables film.

85 yesterday would you believe!
    I don't see him getting the same nostalgic buzz out of it that the other crew would.
    These are mostly 80/90's action movies stars (with a few sprinkles of youth).
    He hit his prime in the early 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

I lost interest in this series the second it went PG 13. The pot has been pissed in at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I think Stallone admitted it being a mistake making 3 PG-13 so hopefully that means going back to the OTT violence from the first 2

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I think Stallone admitted it being a mistake making 3 PG-13 so hopefully that means going back to the OTT violence from the first 2

It's too late, they shouldn't have done it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭captainfrost

Only manage to watch the first to scenes and like the very last scene of 3.

• ps3lover wrote: »
    I lost interest in this series the second it went PG 13. The pot has been pissed in at this stage.

Exactly, 18's rated movie or don't do it at all.
    Hated the fact the third one went pg 13. It ruined the action sequences that I loved about the first two films

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

The first one i found a very good action film, Second one was watchable saved by van damme really. I thought three was really poor and the only saving grace was Antonio Banderas while Wesley snipes action scenes were decent i thoight the chatacter was awful.

Hard to know how they could save the franchise. Drop the PG-13 ****e and a decent baddie and maybe you have a chance. The rock would be a good one and he's a big win with san andreas. It's hard to pick anyone else from that era outside of Segal and hes certainly not a big enough name.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I would love to see Kurt Russell, The Rock, Michael Biehn, Jack Nicholson and Liam Neeson in this one

Drop the little ****s as well. Everyone wants to see the old school action heroes, not this new young cast put in the movie to appeal to the pg13 crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The obsession with ratings is weird; it's not like splattering the screen with red is going to do wonders for the overall experience.

My own fundamental problem with the Expendable films is that they haven't been very good, regardless of the violence; subpar direction, subpar action, subpar script. And I don't mean 'plot': the dialogue has been pretty awful, trading wooden one-liners and lame winks to actors' more famous & quotable lines. I had to double-check, but Stallone has writing credit on all three films. Shane Black he ain't; if I want to hear lines from Arnie's older, better films, I'll just watch those instead.

• pixelburp wrote: »
    The obsession with ratings is weird; it's not like splattering the screen with red is going to do wonders for the overall experience.

My own fundamental problem with the Expendable films is that they haven't been very good, regardless of the violence; subpar direction, subpar action, subpar script. And I don't mean 'plot': the dialogue has been pretty awful, trading wooden one-liners and lame winks to actors' more famous & quotable lines. I had to double-check, but Stallone has writing credit on all three films. Shane Black he ain't; if I want to hear lines from Arnie's older, better films, I'll just watch those instead.

Just to reference your point in bold;
    I don't think anyone is implying that all were looking for is blood spattering the screen its that every part of the action is watered down in 3.

Heres one of the best scenes in Expendables 1 and is a prime example of why I loved the first 2 movies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭The Magnificent Falcowboys

No_Comply wrote: »
    I'd love to see Michael Dudikoff in it!! :D

His character in America Ninja would take them all on at the same time and win without breaking a sweat:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JdzIJKYTrU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow877mIffZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlXRqjFC-s8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjXZr-exehM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Needs more Nicolas Cage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Expendables is one of my favourite actions films of all time. Expendables 2 was disappointing but very much watchable; Expendables 3 was a dull turd with very few redeeming qualities. They really dropped the ball with that one, pandering to the young teenage market with the PG13 rating and the heavy focus on younger characters - and tellingly it did the worst of all three films at the box office by a large margin.

That above youtube clip is exactly what made Expendables so good - total balls to the wall gritty action - totally absent from the third film, it's just so bland, forgettable and generic beyond belief.

• Expendables is one of my favourite actions films of all time. Expendables 2 was disappointing but very much watchable; Expendables 3 was a dull turd with very few redeeming qualities. They really dropped the ball with that one, pandering to the young teenage market with the PG13 rating and the heavy focus on younger characters - and tellingly it did the worst of all three films at the box office by a large margin.

That above youtube clip is exactly what made Expendables so good - total balls to the wall gritty action - totally absent from the third film, it's just so bland, forgettable and generic beyond belief.

I would give Expendables 3 some minor let-off due to the fact that the movie was pirated to ****e also, but still it was crap as you pointed out

American Sniper was online in DVD quality a few weeks before it came out and that did very well at the box office.

This is my favourite sequence in the series.

http://youtu.be/ZVUWZ9nv0WQ

Let's not forget that the director or The Expendables 3 is now doing The Raid remake, totally destroying any hope that that remake would be any good.

ps3lover wrote: »
    American Sniper was online in DVD quality a few weeks before it came out and that did very well at the box office.

This is my favourite sequence in the series.

http://youtu.be/ZVUWZ9nv0WQ

Let's not forget that the director or The Expendables 3 is now doing The Raid remake, totally destroying any hope that that remake would be any good.

American Sniper is also a film which was targeted at older audiences, ones who traditionally don't torrent. Expendables 3 was when taken for what it was, a hell of a lot of fun and certainly undeserving of the drubbing it took. The problem with the series is not the rating, but rather the fact that the scripts seem like an afterthought. What they need to do with the series is write a script with merit and not simply try and shoehorn in nods to the star's previous roles. We don't need gratuitous violence, we need well made and choreographed set pieces and a decent story built around them. What so many people forget is that most of the beloved classic action films of the 80s would if released today be on the lower end of the rating system. Films like Olympus Has Fallen and The Last Stand were more visceral than the likes of Commando and yet you could take a 6 year old to see both in the cinema.

You could take 6 year olds to see R rated movies in the 80s. I don't get that point at all.

• Advertisement

ps3lover wrote: »
    You could take 6 year olds to see R rated movies in the 80s. I don't get that point at all.

The point is that we're not talking about the US rating system but rather the Irish one. If Commando was released today there's no way it would have an 18 cert in Irish cinemas, it would easily get a 15A cert meaning that pretty much anyone could see it. Saying that The Expendables needs to be more like the 80s action films is ridiculous as the only thing the series needs is a decent script behind it.

Advertisement