Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expend4bles

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Never heard that about Tango and Cash. I doubt it.

Actually... decided to look that up as I write this and it turns out it was a false rumor. However, accordingly the first draft of Face/Off was written for both. Interesting if true. Not sure how that would have worked with both men being totally different sizes height and weight.

The idea of a team-up movie kinda makes sense tho as by 1997 both mens action careers were winding down. Sure Stallone had success with CopLand and Arnold become the highest paid actor by being Mr Freeze tho but the heyday was the 80s. A team up to bolster ones status again eh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In fairness, a LOT of stuff was written in the 80s through into the 90s with the intention of it starring Arnie and Sly. Throw a stone and a script probably started that way; makes sense as they were the biggest stars in blockbuster cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

that stupid van has a lot of explaining to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Face off would have worked the same way the Mission Impossible films do i.e once you put on a mask you become the same body size as the person in the mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I see this was released digitally today.

I wonder at what point they make the decision with this and the quick digital release of the new Exorcist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Watched it and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Is it a great movie? Hell no. Is it even the best expendables movie? Absolutely not.

Check your brain at the door, expect a movie shot ALOT in front of green screen and just get entertained for 90 minutes.

Best way to describe this is that If Schindler's List was to be compared to a fine dining 5 star Michelin experience this is some dingy, greasy backalley burger joint. You know what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,776 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Prime example of go woke, go broke. I also wonder did the basket case SFX team on Die Another Day get roles here, it's like their work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I quite enjoyed the original. I feel like a film starring ageing action stars of yesteryear could actually be quite interesting but they seem to have tried to broaden its appeal by diluting what made the original stand out so now we have this absolute tripe. I may have said this before but I remember when a DVD-quality copy of the third film leaked onto the internet. I got 20 minutes in and just gave up. Nothing but superficial drivel.

There was potential but talk of this as a franchise on the same lines as Marvel, DCEU, Mission Impossible and so on is just pathetic.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Watched it. It's Ok.Statham has a good screen presence and can do both action and humour quite well. CGI is woeful. Megan Fox is so made up she actually looks like a doll. She could do the action fairly well. Couple of new actors the best of which is probably Iko Uwais.

If you like dumb action movies, which I do, this isn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

So I watched this expecting nothing given it has a 12% rating on RT and honestly I really enjoyed it.

I think the problem, in so far as critics go, is that the film is actively trying to be as corny, over the top, ridiculous, and self-aware as possible rather than be a semi-credible action film.

And for me it worked. It's a masterpiece in b-movie film-making. Hilarious dialogue, corny action, illogical explosions, excessive violence, the whole works.

It's not a patch on the original movie which is genuinely a fantastic time. But it's really not bad and I'd certainly put it above Expendables 3, if not 2 as well.

In terms of critique, the CGI is god-awful at times, looks more like a 500K movie than a $50m movie. Also I have no issue with Megan Fox as an actress, Jennifer's Body is one of my guilty pleasures and I love her in it. But I'm not sure why they decided that the trowel-makeup look was the best approach for this, she's supposed to be a gritty spec-ops leader and looks, and dresses, like she's hitting a rave, with a literal inch of makeup on in every scene.

Anyway, overall for me this was an easy 7/10. I laughed my way through it, it was just so massively entertaining in the most ridiculous way. I'm shocked at the reviews, I genuinely think they assessed it on what they thought it should be rather than what it is.

It's a nonseniscal, very violent, piss-take of an 80's buddy-star action movie. And it's just a hilarious good time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement