Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four children injured in France knife attack, two in critical condition - **read OP for warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 16,720 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Your attempt at understanding is based on speculation and is driven by your own personal biases.

You might find your own truth by writing out such a post but facts are thin on the ground.

Let's face it, if a white supremacist had committed this crime you wouldn't be trying to understand how their own emotional turmoil was a catalyst for their actions.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,507 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Let's face it, if a white supremacist had committed this crime you wouldn't be trying to understand how their own emotional turmoil was a catalyst for their actions.

But it is though, it's dissected the hell out of, GRT, manifestos, all that. And when a white supremacist killing happens there are conservatives who demand to see the manifesto just as surely as they would demand to see a baptism cert in this thread. We had people on boards demanding the trans shooter manifesto too. Manifestos which, generally, would give a direct window into that exact thing.

Prosecutors have already stated no terrorism link, so the equivocation to white supremacy is misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭suvigirl

'Must be about'

How definitive.

And originally you said

'The number of asylum seekers/ refugees/ migrants that commit horrific attacks in Europe is unbelievable...'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Of course I would. I have done in the past. What poisoned their mind so much to take the lives of others.

Now, again, what benefit is there in not knowing why they did what they did?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭sonar44

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,720 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Unless you're a qualified psychologist all you're doing by posting that type of thing is adding useless commentary.

There's no benefit in posting waffle based on nothing more than your own unqualified opinion.

Can you cite evidence that supports your hypothesis that men who are estranged from their families are predisposed to stabbing infants in pushchairs? Edit. I mean this in a very specific sense here not in terms of the notion that such estrangement can have more nebulous negative effects. Also I won't be responding to users on my block list directly.

You could do with taking a step back and looking at what it is you're saying and maybe you'll understand why it could be deemed to be in poor taste to post it.

Post edited by nullzero on

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

"And others" - You mean The professionals investigating. You're just groundlessly peddling nonsense here.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nah. It's the other way around. You are weaponising it against Muslims for no reason.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I asked a poster to provide a post where someone mentioned ALL REFUGEES as somehow typical of the stabber. That poster failed to provide a post that assisted him and I told him so. You bizarrely blundered in to suggest I had moved the goalposts.

Moving the goalposts applies where evidence that supports the point applies and there's is a request for additional evidence.

Ergo, moving the goalposts does not apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

I’ve read a few articles know on that Liverpool bomber, and I’ve yet to see one where it’s described as an Islamist attack. He didn’t even say “Allahu Akbar”. In fact the taxi driver said the only two words the bomber said was “Womens Hospital”. The bomb was made by himself, and the police said it looked like he had no help at all.

So I still don’t really understand why you’re trying to segue him into this story. He doesn’t fit your “Muslim fakes being a Christian to get in the country to terrorise it” narrative.

I’m not entirely surprised you don’t understand the mentally ill defence, given that there needs to be some empathy towards the aggressor. I don’t believe you are capable of that.

To your question about beheadings. I’m not an expert by any stretch, but It could be as simple as a social construct. In some Islamic countries, the punishment is beheading for some crimes, so they don’t see it as barbaric behaviour, but as “God’s will”. (I obviously think it’s barbaric, before anyone thinks I’m defending the practice)

Thats the last thing I’ll say on Islam/Muslim now that it’s settled that as of now, at the time of his death he was neither unless it is proven later that he is the strangest Islamic terrorist Europe has seen.

The evidence that family separation is harmful dates back to studies on the effects of parent-child separations on children’s well-being during World War II. This research documented far reaching effects of these separations into adulthood, including increased risk for mental health problems, poor social functioning, insecure attachment, disrupted stress reactivity, and mortality (Pesonen & Räikkönen, 2012; Rusby & Tasker, 2009; Mitrani, Santisteban, & Muir, 2004). Other research similarly documents the harmful effects of parental separation on child well-being in a variety of other child populations including children in Romanian orphanages (Zeanah, Nelson, Fox, et al., 2003), children in foster care (Flannery, Beauchamp, & Fisher, 2017) and children of incarcerated parents (Geller, Garfinkel, Cooper & Mincy, 2009; Miller, 2006). More recent work has documented the increased mental health risk faced by both parents and children when they are separated in the immigration process (Suarez-Orozco, Bang, & Kim., 2011; Rusch & Reyes, 2013). Parent-child separation has long-term effects on child well-being, even if there is subsequent reunification. After being separated, reunited children can experience difficulty with emotional attachment to their parents, self-esteem, and physical and psychological health (Smith, Lalonde, & Johnson, 2004; Gubernskaya & Debry, 2017). For some children, time does not appear to fully heal these psychological wounds (Shonkoff et al., 2012).

And violence among couples with custody disputes is, sadly, very common, up to and including homicide.

you said

'The number of asylum seekers/ refugees/ migrants that commit horrific attacks in Europe is unbelievable...'

So, what's the number?

The problem is your portrayal. You are framing it that anyone against this possible Islamist extremist attack

No, it has already been ruled out by the acting French prosecutor.

Why are we still seeing posters repeat differently?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Thread is going completely off topic with tangents irrelevant to the attack in France today. It is also generating a large number of reported posts.

Can we get the thread back on topic and can some posters exercise a bit of cop on please rather than petty point scoring in the wake of the horrible events today. Thanks

Good lord.

Shall we break it down?

So you did not ask

a poster to provide a post where someone mentioned ALL REFUGEES as somehow typical of the stabber

You asked

Can you point to a single post that vilified "all refugees"?

There’s a very big difference there.

I posted the second post in this thread that did indeed try to vilify “all refugees”

Some asylum seeker he is eh? The poor cratur just wanting to flee persecution and war. Me hole he was and thousands more like himcoming into this country!

Thats when you moved the goalposts from asking for a single post that vilified all refugees to

Hence, moving the goalposts. The post did vilify “thousands more like him” (not all, I’ll give you that 😉). It doesn’t matter what they were referring to. You asked for a single post vilifying all refugees, and you got it. So spare me your lecture on what moving the goalposts means.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johannmall

Mental health issues , apparently sat there day in day out , but it's red meat for the anti migrant cohort , who would know nothing of the no blacks , no dogs , no irish ! All due to IRA bombings in the UK , if you're a Christian, turn the other cheek !

you do your usual posts, stating something bad about refugees or asylum seekers, then refuse to back up any claims, then move goalposts. People can see what your about.

You brought up attacks by refugees , no one else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Thus far theres no evidence that he's a muslim.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

My suspicion is the whole 'in the name of Jesus' and wearing a cross is total misdirection. Maybe 10% of Syrians are Christian. When was the last time a Christian, as crazy as they can be, perpetrated an attack on random members of the public? I don't buy it for a second. There's only one religion that shouts about their God when they commit random murders that I ever heard of. They just used their normal M.O and switched it to the Christian deity I bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

You don’t understand how someone can conclude that someone who randomly attacks small children is not mentally well? That’s a bit scary. Do you believe someone who could do such things is of sound mind or something?

Equally someone who partakes willingly in Islamic extremist acts such as beheadings, suicide bombings etc. is also suffering a mental delusion.

er, ever hear of random attacks in Dublin? People get randomly assaulted and unfortunately, murdered all the time. Pretty sure most of the Irish offenders are Christian......

not that it matters one bit anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

You evidence being them wearing Christian symbols and their Swedish wife stating that they were a Christian? It’s definitive then, definitely a Muslim.

Oh and while about 10% of Syrians are. Christian, the proportion of Christian’s among Syrians in Sweden is closer to 20%.

I can see the next argument being formatted already by the brains trust though. What’s the over/ under on how long until someone claims the French authorities planted to Christian symbols to “ let the Muslims off the hook”?

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Mass public and school shootings in the US, the last one only a couple of weeks ago are carried out mainly by Christians.

Wut?

thousands more like him != ALL REFUGEES

Dear God.

No I haven't heard of a mass random stabbing or shooting in Dublin, cuz there hasn't been one. Or an attack on random children, cuz that hasn't happened either. Post a link if I'm wrong. Since you won't be able to you could also try finding a single attack where someone other than a Muslim shouted the name of a God before trying to murder strangers.

Oh right, cos that's not what you said in your post. You said attacks on random members of the public.

If you want to change your post now, we can refer you to random mass shootings in the US. Most offenders are Christian.

• Advertisement

That shooter went to a Christian school and had an agenda against them because she was transgender and went to that actual school and felt persecuted by their beliefs and such.

I don't recall any mass killers saying they did it for Jesus or shouting about Jesus. That's a thing Muslims have been known to do.

Most Americans if they have faith are some kind of Christian, but that hasn't been known to be a big factor in any attacks. The Christchurch attacks were obviously anti-Muslim, but this attack wasn't on Muslims or at a mosque.

I guess this guy is not only one of the 10% of Syrian Christians but also one of the miniscule % of Christians who commit mass (attempted) murder. And I guess despite the fact most hardcore Christians are staunchly against aborting fetuses, this Christian was cool with stabbing babies and toddlers. Yeah, it all adds up!

Advertisement