Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to apply for a co council job

• 08-06-2023 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Guys!

I cannot for the life of me get my head around the co council job application 🤦🏻‍♀️ can someone please explain it to me…all the levels and panels 😵‍💫…so I’d be ideally looking at the €60k mark (is this the equivalent of executive officer level? Also the panels - do I have to wait for a panel and if so is there any way to find out when the next batch of panels will open? I’m looking at Wicklow co co for reference.

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭famagusta

very quick run through,

councils run panels for admin grades 3 to 7, after this it is done through PAS.

If you want to get in at Grade 5, 6 etc, you just need to keep an eye on the council website for advertisements for interviews for these grades etc, if you 'pass' the interview, (about half will pass) you are ranked and placed on a panel. they then work from number one downwards when a vacancy arises

if i was you i would apply from grade 4 to 7 and see how you get on, the interviews/panels are set up every two years or less depending on staff movement etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

By levels I assume you mean pay? If so these pay scales are based on service in the public sector, you start at the bottom and move up the scale each year. If you got a job as executive officer and had no previous experience in the public sector your starting salary would be €33,149.

You are awarded points during the interview, if you gain the amount of points needed to pass you are then placed on a panel with the others based on your score. As job vacancies arise people from the panel are used starting from those who scored best.

I don't think local councils have EOs, I think their equivilant is Staff Officers or Assistant SO?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭kaykay27

Thanks famagusta and jetblack ! Needless to say I’ve some questions…

if I apply for grade 4-7 could I end up in a lower grade ie I want a 7 but I could end up in a 4?

Panel- is there any way to determine when a new panel application is coming up? Do panels normally come up in the 2nd 1/2 of the year and if I miss the panel this year do I need to wait a full year or 2 for the next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭gipi

Job advertisements are for a specific grade, so you apply for a grade 4 or a grade 5, etc. It's not one application for all grades. Each grade will have different interview panels, different exams, and different recruitment panels.

The higher grades would also have higher qualifying requirements than lower grades. In the past, many higher grades were only open to serving staff, don't know if this is still the case.

As to when a panel might be formed? You'll have to keep an eye on the council website or local papers.

This site may be of help

Advertisement