Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elderly Relative moves in, any benefits available?

• 08-06-2023 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭

Due to illness we have an elderly relative moving into our house. I am just wondering are we entitled to any sort of benefit? they would have got some benefits when living on their own(payments towards gas/electricity etc) but can they still get now?

This will be more of a long term point of view as at some stage one of us will have to take an extended break from work to take care of them so would prefer to know what is available now then when that happens?

I did read a few website but it seemed to contradict each other about what someone could/couldn't get.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

This is a very complex multi faceted situation and too much so to explain here.

There are many ifs ands buts and maybes to this.

What your guest needs to do without delay is inform the pensions Dept in Sligo that they have moved house. (I’m assuming they are in receipt of a state pension).

They also need to inform the Medical Card section. (once again an assumption on my behalf).

These phone numbers can be found if you google citizensinformation.ie and search for, quite simply, state pension and separately medical card.

Other searches you need to make there are;

Living Alone Increase

Household benefits package

carers allowance

carers benefit

fuel allowance

dependent relative tax credit

You can also make an appointment at your local citizens Information Centre and go there and chat to an information officer.

Write a list of questions you want to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Thank you for help!!! I will reach out to citizens information

Advertisement