Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warmboarding a dormer roof

Options
  • 08-06-2023 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

I removed 30plus downlighters from the upstairs of our house, it's a dormer and some of the downlighters are into the apex of the dormer.

Initial plan was to fill the holes to stop the drafts and improve air tightness

It turns out the insulation (rock wool) above ceiling height is patchy, I assume the electrician who fitted the downlighters moved it so its pretty much non existant in places.

Anyway now I am thinking I should warmboard the entire roof upstairs with 50mm PIR insulated plasterboard

It's a big job and there are some vaulted roof areas so it's gonna be costly (still waiting for quotes)

We've got a couple of other upgrades (insulation in the accessibilble attic areas) , cavity walls pumped and new windows being fitted shortly and the roof areas into the dormer feel like the weak spot.

Assuming I've the money left to pay for it, what are peoples views ad to it's effectiveness?

Should I just plug the holes were the downlighters were or go for the far more costly warmboarding approach?

Any advice based of experience or knowledge would be appreciated?

P.s. if warmboarding, we'd also get the internal walls done that face into attic voids

Would most likely do window reveals with aerogel while I'm at it.

Advertisement