Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for First Time Dog owners

Options
  • 08-06-2023 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi,

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids (14 & 6) living in a suburb of Dublin.

Looking to give a dog a loving home.

My wife and I work full time so am trying to figure out what dog is most suitable.

She was offered an English pointer from dog’s trust but I believe these are too energetic to be a house so don’t think it would be fair for the dog or us.

Would appreciate any advice on best breeds and best places to source them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Just putting it out there in case you come across one in a shelter and maybe disregard ...because I would have too before ...

Lurchers love an average walk and then like to chill for the rest of the day. They are very loving and sociable with humans. Very easy going and quiet. At least the one I know of. Also, a small to medium size dog, and come in all kinds of colours.

Not suitable around small children and definitely not cats. 6 would be fine I'd think but again it would depend on the actual dog and kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭maxpowers

Get a rescue anyway if you can. Dachshund or a greyhound if it was me. One of Best decisions you will make

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Greyhounds, lurcher or any type of sighthound sound like a match for your household type.

All rescues have plenty but I can recommend <snip> as they have a good support network to help you decide and for life after adoption.

But there are plenty of good rescue charities out there.

Mod note: please be advised that recommendations for individual rescue should be done by pm, rather than on-thread.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

When you say you both work full time, what sort of hours would a dog be left alone for on a daily basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Dublinandy3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Terrier2023

A lurcher or a whippet are nice dogs and good characters, research dogs and their needs on the internet think of dogs you like and look them up and you will find out what they require also rescues will be reluctant to give dogs that will be left 8 hours plus alone at home its not fair to any dogs. You will need to have a walker or someone to call in and let them out every 4 hours so be realistic and maybe get a cat he can come & go as he pleases in & out the window !

Advertisement