Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is there a virus going around?

Options
  • 09-06-2023 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

hi, just wondering is anyone else struck down with some kind of virus/fluey type the past few days? I woke up this morning like a truck had run over me in the middle of the night! severe aches and pains in legs and arms, zero energy, heavy chest etc it just seems strange at this time of year? Not covid as did a test.....

Comments

Good weather, a lot of people mixing together - seems like a recipe to catch a virus, at any time of the year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Moved to AH

Think there is, yes. I know people who got awful doses in recent days.

Can happen in the summer - it's more horrible really, because you're already warm and you miss out on the good weather and getting out and about. At least in winter you're stuck inside anyway.

Get well soon!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

There's always stuff going around. We are riddled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

get well soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Have people forgotten that humans become ill from time to time?

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got a manky chest thing + wrecked for the past few days, somewhat back to normal now in so far as I can actually move without a coughing fit and haven't felt like a nap yet (its almost 11!).

But there is/was always something going around - staying indoors / away from people / wearing masks in 2020-2 will have reduced how much of the other random stuff you'll have caught.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i had a weird bug lasting about 8 weeks recently. tinnitus, headache, fuggy feeling.

though the number of cases of sepsis i've heard about recently (one fatal) is through the roof. have never heard anything like it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I’m sick ten days now , the fatigue this day last week ( and last Saturday) was like nothing I’ve felt before, I’ve spent ten days now coughing up the most ghastly stuff , chest tightness,relentless headache,went to doc on call last Saturday and was prescribed antibiotics and steroids, it’s barely knocked the corners off it , the heat has made the experience worse

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Antigen test dont pick up the current variants very well, more than likely is Covid. Get some rest.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

It's a good thing OP. The human species needs to be exposed to these viruses in order for us to thrive and survive. I was down with some sort of virus last month all the covid symptoms but just got on with it as much as possible had to keep working bills need to be paid etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HungrySeagull

Random sore throat last week and then developed into a cough and head cold over the weekend. Still have it several days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Yep, got something similar around last Sunday. To be honest, today is the first day I feel more like myself.

Your analogy of feeling like a truck had run over you is very apt, thats exactly how I felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Long covid .... for sure.....

Deffo..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Some of my friends have developed strep throat, courtesy of their very generous grandchildren. One has complications with sore joints and muscles. Lasting over three weeks.

Best advice is practise hygiene and keep hydrated.

Just talking to my brother - he's pretty damn miserable with it. Said it's his worst chest infection in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I suppose the vaccines are beginning to pick us off now. I only had the first two myself , no boosters

• One Boardsie posted on another thread how he developed a massive chest infection and ended up in hospital, also got torrential vomiting and diarrhoea although it’s possible the gastric symptoms were attributable to the highly contagious Norovirus acquired separately.

I attended a seminar in town a week or two ago, there was someone coughing severely nonstop, popping in and out of the lecture. On the LUAS going in there was a man opposite me coughing continually. Separately the week before a cousin reported he was just over an infection characterised by coughing and severe diarrhoea.

Some some nasty viral infections can give this combination, eg Influenza, Coronaviruses.

Covid is still the most frequently reported infection and will give both respiratory and gastric-intestinal symptoms.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭seamusk84

The amount of people sniffing on the Luas yesterday was genuinely noticeable. I never noticed something like that before and I’m always on the damn thing!

Hay fever maybe? But must be people with colds from the level of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Protection from the vaccines waned significantly at this stage so it’s expected that a lot are getting bad covid doses now. It looks like those who got mild covid in the past are being hit harder now with new variants. This is the new normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

thanks everyone, at least Im not alone, seems to be alot going around...hopefully it passes soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

We all had a bit of a cold and slight chest infections with itchy throats. Did a few covid tests on different days during it. My wife did her last test yesterday and it was positive for covid. She had 3 days negative for covid and then positive on the 4th. We all had negative covid tests each day.

We've run out of tests now but are all better. It wasnt even bad anyway apart from the annoyng itchy throat and the odd sneeze. Dont even know if you are supposed to stay in anymore but we havent been and wont bother now either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I was feeling very fluey a couple of months ago. The most significant symptom was extreme diarrhoea. To the point where if I felt a fart coming id have to sit down on the bowl !! And more often than not it was a very good idea.

Sounds like a stomach bug or food poison. Very common.

i put it down to a stomach bug . It seems the most likely.

I had one two years back and it was the worst experience i've ever had. Nothing was staying in me, pure brown water coming one way and vomit coming the other. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

After consulting DR Google it seems very like what’s called stomach flu . Running to the toilet but sitting with a basin to hurl in

Exactly my symptoms. It cost me 2 pairs of trousers and the cost of buying a vax carpet cleaner 😡

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,985 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I had a sore throat, blocked sinuses, sneezing, fatigue and aches and pains last month. I didn't even think to do a Covid test, we're well into the 'getting on with it' anyway.

I have to laugh at all the posters who insisted our employers would all send us home if we had any symptoms! 😂

Advertisement