Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview scores after ETB teaching interview

Options
  • 09-06-2023 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all, I had an interview last week for an teaching post with an ETB school. It went really well and they said I would have heard feedback back this week. Needless to say I had to chase them for a week and then received these scores:

Professional knowledge:  50/100

Professional practice: 90/150

Professional development: 60/100

Professional values and relationships: 45/75

Contribution to the school and community:  45/75

I believe these scores are completely incoherent with what happened during the interview and the positive feedback I received while I was interviewed. They especially complimented my subject knowledge and the abundance of cpd courses I followed, also in the last 2 points of values and contribution I was scored 60%, I was only asked one brief question and was stopped at mid way saying they were happy enough with all my answers. This is absurd. I was interviewed 3 years ago for anothet Etb school and with no cpd or courses at all on my cv I scored higher. How is this possible?

Did any of you have similar experiences?

Post edited by Charlie27 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

ETB!!! Enough said. Some ETBs pick figures out of their backsides and just furnish the candidate with them....usually after having to be hunted down!!! I honestly do not know how they get away with it but some have done it for years and seem to be interviewing just for the sake of providing expenses for the shower sitting on the interview boards. Any forward thinking Minister for Education would disband the present ETB set up with immediate effect and start again! It is very frustrating for any experienced teacher nevermind someone starting out on their career.If you happen to be in the Golden Circle and a serial ETBer you will not see this circle,admit to it or maybe you do but why give a feck as long as I'm alright Jack!

#

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Charlie27

I think I can clearly see the circle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Welcome to teaching. Now you're learning fast.

Honestly I wouldn't take it personally, a principal can hold a job path for a niece or nephew for years in advance, so they'll get whoever they want. The scoring can be scored whatever way they like after the interview.

In saying that I got a job with zero pull so it's a stats game of hoping you're in the right place at the right time. Most of the jobs I've gotten were where someone else let the employer down at the last minute and I just happened to be hanging around. Thankfully because I'm an absolute train wreck during interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Your scores may be no reflection whatsoever of your teaching ability, qualifications, experience or interview performance if there is already someone lined up for the job, who may have less qualifications or experience than you. Look at the way it's scored. Aside from the first one, they've given you 60% across the board on each section. They just decided you were 60/100 and applied it to each category, and then docked a few more marks from the first one, for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

Yes ,they rarely cover their tracks well!Ironically it seems a small industry of interview coaching /cv prep etc has sprung up (probably largely populated by all those ex teachers :-( ) to help people 'fix' these 'weaknesses' ...Certainly in the voluntary sector the principal has their anointed one beforehand and the interview panel process is a sham payolla (150-250 euro ?) for their cronies .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

I dare to say that an enquiry into the "industry" would find the "interview committees" is just as lucrative as Mr.Tubridy's side deal..when its all added up over a number of years.I did see figures for it a few years ago and it was frightening the amount accumulated by some of the so called interview experts,one was a retired member of the Public Service as well as being a local councillor and then this side gig.The person ,when questioned about it ,defended themselves by stating they had done a 1/2 days training for the job.......where else could you do a 1/2 days training that would guarantee a wage for life! The sooner a root and branch audit of the education system is done the better for all. Don't expect Norma to bother upsetting the Golden Circle cronies.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭galwayhooker

I totally agree. God knows how much money would be found that was spent in such a corrupt way if the government were to examine the finances of every public area. As long as parochial politicians and corruption continues in Ireland, the hiring process of teacher will never change. I left a CD job with subjects in where teachers of these subjects were like I was told many times “ hens teeth “ 8 years ago. I also had over 20 years experience, worked as an examiner, did extra curricular…

I wanted to move home as couldn’t redeploy - I didn’t live in Dublin.

I went for so many interviews. It makes me laugh to see on ads “ canvassing disqualifies’ when I came across so many councilors on interview boards with absolutely nothing to do with education. Whenever I asked for feedback I always had to wait over a week and usually a phone call ( not put in writing). If it was put in writing it was always 20% for experience ( which I always nearly got full marks) , 20% for qualifications ( I always got nearly full marks here also) and then 60 % for “ suitability”. I felt like writing back to some schools to say if I needed to be playing on local GAA team when I found out after some of the successful candidates were GAA players just out of college or else related to someone/ good friends on the BOM. This really infuriates me - these are the same people in staff room who years later get away with doing absolutely nothing just because of who they are.

I even did an interview a two hour interview course which cost me €250 as I was seriously doubting myself and my self confidence and mental health was being affected by rejection for jobs. Such a waste of money. I learned nothing.

Anyway I am CID again in a lovely school but it it’s over a two hour round commute for me each way. Would be ideal to be closer to home but I can’t afford to be waiting for subbing at my age with bills and no one else to support me.

Advertisement